8 posters
AuthorMessage
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6098
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13635

Colwyn Bay mini pier recce Empty
PostSubject: Colwyn Bay mini pier recce   Colwyn Bay mini pier recce EmptyFri Aug 27, 2021 8:34 pm

As I was down that way this morning I took a look.
Nearest parking ( pay and display) was about 60 yards away.
Time was about 10.15am so tide was an hour in to the flood.

There was no signage on the pier regarding fishing or anything else for that matter.

Looking at the current strandline and the sand the high tide mark currently ( 7.41m) reaches the end of the pier and bigger tides further in.

I suppose if you were going to fish high tide the extra height above the sea would give some extra distance to the cast but it wouldn't be a straight down dangle sort of a venue.

Colwyn Bay mini pier recce 20210815

Colwyn Bay mini pier recce 20210816

Colwyn Bay mini pier recce 20210817

Colwyn Bay mini pier recce 20210818

Colwyn Bay mini pier recce 20210820

Colwyn Bay mini pier recce 20210821

Last edited by Notbad on Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

PostSubject: Re: Colwyn Bay mini pier recce   Colwyn Bay mini pier recce EmptyFri Aug 27, 2021 8:49 pm

Colwyn Bay mini pier recce 20210822

Colwyn Bay mini pier recce 20210823

Colwyn Bay mini pier recce 20210824

ADMIN
MusselMan

Number of posts : 1303
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7112

PostSubject: Re: Colwyn Bay mini pier recce   Colwyn Bay mini pier recce EmptyFri Aug 27, 2021 9:12 pm

Thanks for that. Disappointing though. Not sure it even counts as a pier if it does not get water underneath it on the majority of tides. Mad

I thought the old pier got water right up to the prom on many tides. Perhaps sand level has been built up as part of the works. Sand level might change in the winter after a few storms.
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

PostSubject: Re: Colwyn Bay mini pier recce   Colwyn Bay mini pier recce EmptyFri Aug 27, 2021 9:30 pm

MusselMan wrote:

I thought the old pier got water right up to the prom on many tides. Perhaps sand level has been built up as part of the works. Sand level might change in the winter after a few storms.

yeah it did, I've fished right by the old pier on winter nights in years gone by for high tide. Various developments along the prom may have built up the sand.

For now I think I'd fish High more towards Cayley Bank ( a fish from the car venue) best at night out of tourist season though.

The prom road towards The Arches end was closed by the way.

Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

Number of posts : 1705
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 4951

PostSubject: Re: Colwyn Bay mini pier recce   Colwyn Bay mini pier recce EmptyFri Aug 27, 2021 11:27 pm

Looks a nice neat job,but another 100yds longer would have been better.
I looked at the boat launch and had a chat with them.Seems like the tractor launch is the only thing that makes it worthwhile.
I think the Tidal window for launching is only about one hour and thirty minutes.
Back to top Go down
congerman1962
Tope Hunter

Number of posts : 1317
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6680

PostSubject: Re: Colwyn Bay mini pier recce   Colwyn Bay mini pier recce EmptySat Aug 28, 2021 9:26 am

Great pictures thanks for taking the time to share the experience
Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Marlin Hunter
Kirky's Dad

Number of posts : 2861
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7847

PostSubject: Re: Colwyn Bay mini pier recce   Colwyn Bay mini pier recce EmptySat Aug 28, 2021 10:08 am

I think it’s a health and safety thing all to do with tides and getting wet, someone somewhere has decide it is unsafe to build long piers as the tide comes in and wets the metalwork under the pier which then rusts with saltwater and then it becomes unsafe for the public with the whole thing collapsing and drowning thousands of people, but what they haven’t realised yet is that when the public want to go swimming of a short pier that there will be no water for them to dive into and therefore they will kill them selves which will mean health and safety will ban all piers. So I think you all should be glad you have a short pier as in a few years time none will be being built. Rain
Back to top Go down
squidward
Tope Hunter
squidward

Number of posts : 1096
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7214

PostSubject: Re: Colwyn Bay mini pier recce   Colwyn Bay mini pier recce EmptySat Aug 28, 2021 10:27 am

I learnt to fish on the old Victoria pier there in the 1950's, I believe there are plans to raise funds to extend the new one, but I don't think I'll still be around then.
In front of there is one of the best low water marks in the area, some matches held there in the autumn have been won with 50 to 60 fish, mainly whiting and dogs, but huss and rays have been caught too.
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

PostSubject: Re: Colwyn Bay mini pier recce   Colwyn Bay mini pier recce EmptySat Aug 28, 2021 11:54 am

Now I know what a long walk off a short pier means. rolling laugh
Back to top Go down
Rhod Lloyd
Fishing Addict
Rhod Lloyd

Number of posts : 617
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6468

PostSubject: Re: Colwyn Bay mini pier recce   Colwyn Bay mini pier recce EmptySun Aug 29, 2021 5:12 am

I remember catching a few small mackerel near the arches when I was there a few years ago, there was plenty of water there then, they were right up against the wall. What is it like there on small tides ?
I can only presume the sea wall is the same level around the bay.
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

PostSubject: Re: Colwyn Bay mini pier recce   Colwyn Bay mini pier recce EmptySun Aug 29, 2021 10:15 am

Rhod Lloyd wrote:
I remember catching a few small mackerel near the arches when I was there a few years ago, there was plenty of water there then, they were right up against the wall. What is it like there on small tides ?
I can only presume the sea wall is the same level around the bay.

Hi Rhod,
the water hits the wall differently around the bay ( you can see the water is in a different place in the Rhos area compared to the pier location in one of my pics)
I'm not up to speed with the other ( Arches end) these days but I do know there has been rock armour work along in places and this complicates the high tide fishing options.

Giant Squid Hunter

Number of posts : 239
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 2941

PostSubject: Re: Colwyn Bay mini pier recce   Colwyn Bay mini pier recce EmptyMon Aug 30, 2021 1:12 pm

Notbad wrote:
As I was down that way this morning I took a look.
Nearest parking ( pay and display) was about 60 yards away.
Time was about 10.15am so tide was an hour in to the flood.

There was no signage on the pier regarding fishing or anything else for that matter.

Looking at the current strandline and the sand the high tide mark currently ( 7.41m) reaches the end of the pier and bigger tides further in.

I suppose if you were going to fish high tide the extra height above the sea would give some extra distance to the cast but it wouldn't be a straight down dangle sort of a venue.

Colwyn Bay mini pier recce 20210815

Colwyn Bay mini pier recce 20210816

Colwyn Bay mini pier recce 20210817

Colwyn Bay mini pier recce 20210818

Colwyn Bay mini pier recce 20210820

Colwyn Bay mini pier recce 20210821
Beautiful pictures of the Bay a real wish you were here moment.
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

PostSubject: Re: Colwyn Bay mini pier recce   Colwyn Bay mini pier recce EmptyMon Aug 30, 2021 5:15 pm

I think the only thing you would catch off the pier would be the odd courting coupleĀ  rolling laugh
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Colwyn Bay mini pier recce   Colwyn Bay mini pier recce Empty

Back to top Go down

Colwyn Bay mini pier recce
Page 1 of 1