2 posters
AuthorMessage
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6098
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13630

Aberystwyth again Empty
PostSubject: Aberystwyth again   Aberystwyth again EmptySat Jan 31, 2009 11:21 pm

Thursday night and I gave it a go by the bandstand to the East of Aberystwyth's Royal Pier an hour before high.

Hopes where high when about a thousand gulls suddenly settled on the water 200 yards out, I've noticed that in Aberystwyth the gulls haven't forgotten that they are "sea"gulls, unlike Rhyl's they don't seem to hang about the town centre at all.

The local tackle shop said there had been cod caught a couple of nights before.

Old photos of the foreshore here show a lot of rock and I'm sure the deep loose grit on the shore between the reefs is man's doing, -the sea isn't impressed and is doing it's best to throw it back on land, never the mind the strandline on the beach, look where the tide strands the grit washed back on the prom, it's left a foot deep in places.

Aberystwyth again Aberstrandline

You are only allowed to park for 4 hours here, but on a good tide it might be best to check the tide tables before choosing which 4 hours!

I generally take a light rod and minimal gear down with me, but I should know by know that the incoming tide quickly buries the lead with loose grit and especially if there's weed in the water (there was) my light rod can't cope
-such was the case on Thursday night and when a phonecall distracted me for a bit too long
the grit and weed build up gave me a real old tussle with a rig nicking Davey Jones.

Called it a night, retreated from the grit bar to the hotel bar and settled for imagining the unequal scrap was with a cod and resolved to take a heavier set up next time.
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6098
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13630

Aberystwyth again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aberystwyth again   Aberystwyth again EmptySat Jan 31, 2009 11:38 pm

ian40nw wrote:
Well done for getting out Paul.Thought i hadnt seen you on here for a few days u must be spending too much time working and not enough fishing lol!

Things are very hectic at work Ian, haven't had time to log on, but with the way the economy has gone I'm glad to have a job so I won't complain about it!
Back to top Go down
fairziff
Porbeagle Hunter
fairziff

Number of posts : 3304
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 9159

Aberystwyth again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aberystwyth again   Aberystwyth again EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 12:24 am

Nice report Paul.
Any talk of Cod being caught from the beach seems to get the adrenelin pumping and anglers everywhere reaching for their rods.

Good to hear from our Mid Wales correspondant Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.sunnyrhyl.com
Sponsored content

Aberystwyth again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aberystwyth again   Aberystwyth again Empty

Back to top Go down

Aberystwyth again
Page 1 of 1