4 posters
AuthorMessage
MusselMan
ADMIN
MusselMan

Number of posts : 1303
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7108

Another blank at Fort Perch Empty
PostSubject: Another blank at Fort Perch   Another blank at Fort Perch EmptyMon Mar 18, 2024 8:54 pm

I have recently cleaned one of my multipliers. Replaced the spool bearings with some ABEC 7's and filled it with new braid. Keen to give it a few casts somewhere I headed to Fort Perch. The beach behind the car park was unusually empty so I thought good spot to give a try.

10 minutes after I set up, and four RNLI vehicles with jet-skis turned up for a training session right next to me. Just my luck! A few hours of noise followed. It was interesting to watch them training though, and the sun was shining. Very safe fishing spot with so many lifeguards to hand.

No bites, but no great surprise. Pleased with my reel as it is no longer sounding like a bag of spanners when I cast.

Another blank at Fort Perch 20240311
Another blank at Fort Perch 20240312
Another blank at Fort Perch 20240310
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

Number of posts : 1705
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 4947

PostSubject: Re: Another blank at Fort Perch   Another blank at Fort Perch EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 12:49 am

Looks a nice day to be out.Some nice pics.
Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Marlin Hunter
Kirky's Dad

Number of posts : 2861
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7843

PostSubject: Re: Another blank at Fort Perch   Another blank at Fort Perch EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 2:16 pm

What a nice spot it’s a shame the fish didn’t turn up, it sound as if everything else did. fishing boat boat boat
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6098
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13631

PostSubject: Re: Another blank at Fort Perch   Another blank at Fort Perch EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 4:58 pm

No tangles either?

ADMIN
MusselMan

Number of posts : 1303
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7108

PostSubject: Re: Another blank at Fort Perch   Another blank at Fort Perch EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 5:59 pm

Notbad wrote:
No tangles either?

Surprisingly no. In honesty the first cast was a bit dicey but just about in control. Before the bearing change and cleaning, the spool would only spin for a couple of seconds. After the work it spins for about 30 seconds. Understandably it took a few casts to get the settings about right for this.

I am also trying braid and a shock leader on my multi where previously I was using mono.

Casts are going a bit further already. Not tried to see just how far it will go yet as I was fishing with big baits, and also not wanting to over cast at this mark (into jet ski territory).
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

Number of posts : 1705
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 4947

PostSubject: Re: Another blank at Fort Perch   Another blank at Fort Perch EmptyThu Mar 21, 2024 11:35 am

Personally,I have decided only to use fixed spool reels for shore fishing.
Used from a boat multipliers work fine,(I've got four)
The trend wordwide seems to be favouring fixed spool reels.
Of course,for big game fish,multipliers come up tops.
With braid on a multiplier,the slightest over run and you have got a birds nest.
On sea fishing reels,I have nothing less than 30lb breaking strain to prevent wind knots.
Seeing as I never need to cast to the horizon,in general I use 50lb/60lb braid,which cuts out the need fo a shock leader.
Seeing as the end tackle/hook length is usually fluro carbon,pulling the fish in saves the braid from cutting in to my fingers.
I caught a 12lb Bull huss in the Fowey estuary,and it ran towards the boat,
and caused slack line.My multiplier couldn't handle it (or me?)
The birds nest was so bad I had to cut the line off and replace it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another blank at Fort Perch   Another blank at Fort Perch Empty

Back to top Go down

Another blank at Fort Perch
Page 1 of 1