5 posters
AuthorMessage
congerman1962
Tope Hunter

Number of posts : 1317
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6689

METAL DETECTING  Empty
PostSubject: METAL DETECTING    METAL DETECTING  EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 10:53 pm

Just wondering if any one els does this as A hobby or addicted I have had one for years but never really used it but this year I have been A few times + am now getting ADICTED I think,, Rolling Eyes I have just got A new one early Xmas pressie of my wife Wink santa
Back to top Go down

METAL DETECTING  Empty
PostSubject: Re: METAL DETECTING    METAL DETECTING  EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 11:19 pm

I've never tried it but always wanted too. Very similar to fishing in my eyes - you never know what's out there unless you try. Keep us posted on your finds Cool
Back to top Go down
congerman1962
Tope Hunter

Number of posts : 1317
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6689

METAL DETECTING  Empty
PostSubject: Re: METAL DETECTING    METAL DETECTING  EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 2:04 am

Tony Lever wrote:
Did a lot, way back in the late seventies early eighties. Best find a '1341' hammered silver penny, minted at Rhuddlan. Learnt a lot about local history and had invites to restricted sites under the supervision of archaeologists. Most dangerous find, a clip of live .303 ammunition dated 1941 taken from a munitions ship, that had been dumped by divers at Splash Point, there's probably more there waiting to be dug up.
If you search on the foreshore you require a permit, and any gold or silver must be declared as treasure trove. A friend of mine found three gold sovereigns on Colwyn Bay Beach, he had to wait until they had an inquest to decide if he could keep, or sell them privately, or wether he would be given current value and they would be retained by the Crown. This is the link to the Crown site http://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/marine/metal-detecting/.
Good luck

Thanks for the info on splash point Wink my mate eddythefly (Geoff) made me get the crown permit before we went he sorted the contact for me
Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Marlin Hunter
Kirky's Dad

Number of posts : 2866
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7861

METAL DETECTING  Empty
PostSubject: Re: METAL DETECTING    METAL DETECTING  EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 11:49 am

I got very interested in Metal Detecting back in the 70's got all the Mags and so on I think it was called "Tresure Hunter", but I never got round to buying a Metal Detector as funds where very tight with 2 kids to bring up and not a well paid job. The machine I wanted was called a C-scope I think the in machine then but just memories now, or are they still made? I live right by where the Stafforshire Hoard was found so if I had invested back then who knows I could have been that man. Dream On!!!
Back to top Go down

METAL DETECTING  Empty
PostSubject: Re: METAL DETECTING    METAL DETECTING  EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 2:40 pm

Hi
I used to do loads of detecting theres plenty of Roman and Celtic stuff to be found
The best advice to give would be to join a club ( find them on the intenet) They will have lots of good sites with permission to search usually club outings on ploughed farmers fields etc Also have a look on ebay / antiquities where detectorists sell their finds
Learning local histoty is the important part then you will be half way there to some goodies
Hope thats of some help
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

Number of posts : 6951
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13896

METAL DETECTING  Empty
PostSubject: Re: METAL DETECTING    METAL DETECTING  EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 7:18 pm

kirky's dad wrote:
I got very interested in Metal Detecting back in the 70's got all the Mags and so on I think it was called "Tresure Hunter", but I never got round to buying a Metal Detector as funds where very tight with 2 kids to bring up and not a well paid job. The machine I wanted was called a C-scope I think the in machine then but just memories now, or are they still made? I live right by where the Stafforshire Hoard was found so if I had invested back then who knows I could have been that man. Dream On!!!

If only i was born on a Tuesday.....
Never mind, if its not ment to be its not ment to be !
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

METAL DETECTING  Empty
PostSubject: Re: METAL DETECTING    METAL DETECTING  EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 7:22 pm

mickfish wrote:
Hi
I used to do loads of detecting theres plenty of Roman and Celtic stuff to be found
The best advice to give would be to join a club ( find them on the intenet) They will have lots of good sites with permission to search usually club outings on ploughed farmers fields etc Also have a look on ebay / antiquities where detectorists sell their finds
Learning local histoty is the important part then you will be half way there to some goodies
Hope thats of some help

Whats histoty ? Is it looking up old girlfriends ? lol!
Back to top Go down
MusselMan
ADMIN
MusselMan

Number of posts : 1309
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7127

METAL DETECTING  Empty
PostSubject: Re: METAL DETECTING    METAL DETECTING  EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 7:57 pm

Probably be a few lead weights to be found off splashpoint.

Logger - I have heard friends reunited is the site used for researching histoty Wink
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

METAL DETECTING  Empty
PostSubject: Re: METAL DETECTING    METAL DETECTING  EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 8:33 pm

Logger - I have heard friends reunited is the site used for researching histoty Wink [/quote]

Think I'll just leave sleeping dogs lie if you'll pardon the pun Very Happy
Back to top Go down
fairziff
Porbeagle Hunter
fairziff

Number of posts : 3304
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 9173

METAL DETECTING  Empty
PostSubject: Re: METAL DETECTING    METAL DETECTING  EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 11:17 pm

logger wrote:

Think I'll just leave sleeping dogs lie if you'll pardon the pun Very Happy
Smile
lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.sunnyrhyl.com
Sponsored content

METAL DETECTING  Empty
PostSubject: Re: METAL DETECTING    METAL DETECTING  Empty

Back to top Go down

METAL DETECTING
Page 1 of 1