3 posters
AuthorMessage
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

Number of posts : 1713
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 4970

The Plaice will be back soon Empty
PostSubject: The Plaice will be back soon   The Plaice will be back soon EmptyThu Jan 26, 2023 10:17 am

I've made a few rigs up.
I bought some chromed plastic tea spoons and cut the handles off,then drilled a small hole in them for the line.
The set up is-spoon-about six coloured beads and a 2#0 aberdeen.
This time round I'm trying 20mm polystyrenes balls about an inch from the hook,the idea being to keep the bait up high enough out of the reach of the crabs.On the mainline it's just a zip slider and a swivel,the zip slider has a clip on it for the weight.
The advantage of a running ledger is there will be no resistance on the line,and using braid,the bites will be more obvious.I never use braid at less then 30lb breaking strain.
I've had double up's of rays on a similar rig.
Hook Bait-Black Lug and Squid or mackerel strips.
Seeing that fish hunt by smell,especially if the water is murky,this time around I've got some sardine oil to dip the hookbait in just before I cast out.
Tight lines "V"
Back to top Go down
MusselMan
ADMIN
MusselMan

Number of posts : 1307
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7123

PostSubject: Re: The Plaice will be back soon   The Plaice will be back soon EmptyFri Jan 27, 2023 7:44 pm

Just watched a vid of a plaice being caught south of england. Bit early for up here still I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOSWweCxDzo&ab_channel=FishHunterUK
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6106
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13656

PostSubject: Re: The Plaice will be back soon   The Plaice will be back soon EmptyFri Feb 03, 2023 7:59 am

It will be interesting to hear how the squid oil works, I bought some rag spray thinking it might help if I am without decent bait but haven't tried it

ADMIN
MusselMan

Number of posts : 1307
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7123

PostSubject: Re: The Plaice will be back soon   The Plaice will be back soon EmptyFri Feb 03, 2023 11:34 am

Went for a walk along the prom at New Brighton last weekend. Blinkin freezin .

Might be a few more weeks yet before any plaice show there.
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

PostSubject: Re: The Plaice will be back soon   The Plaice will be back soon EmptyFri Feb 03, 2023 11:57 am

[quote="Notbad"]It will be interesting to hear how the squid oil works, I bought some rag spray thinking it might help if I am without decent bait but haven't tried it.

It's sardine oil that I have got Paul.
I bought some black lug a couple of years ago and they are oiled and vacuum packed.They have been in the fridge since I got them.
They look the same as the day I put them in there. lol!
I'll be trying them with Squid or mackerel strips dipped in oil.
Seeing as most fish are predators,the oil should be a good attractant.
I watched a vid the other day,and as an example it said if you were to put a single bait in a swimming pool,and the fish were at the other end,you coud be there all day and not get a bite,but with oil as an attractant there would be more chance of getting a bite.
It sounded pretty logical to me.
I suppose if we don't experiment we will never know lol!
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

PostSubject: Re: The Plaice will be back soon   The Plaice will be back soon EmptyFri Feb 03, 2023 12:05 pm

MusselMan wrote:
Went for a walk along the prom at New Brighton last weekend. Blinkin freezin .

Might be a few more weeks yet before any plaice show there.

We fished Perch rock on new years day about 6yrs ago,it was so cold I had to get my mate to put the bait on the hooks. lol!
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

PostSubject: Re: The Plaice will be back soon   The Plaice will be back soon EmptyFri Feb 03, 2023 12:17 pm

I suspect,with this mild winter,we could see the fish coming in earlier than usual.
Looking at some news items,it sounds like some species have not gone as far out as usual.
The alge bloom coming out of the Dee this year from the excess sewage going into to it could be a problem.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Plaice will be back soon   The Plaice will be back soon Empty

Back to top Go down

The Plaice will be back soon
Page 1 of 1