2 posters
AuthorMessage
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6108
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13668

Fish and air pressure Empty
PostSubject: Fish and air pressure   Fish and air pressure EmptyTue Jul 07, 2020 10:11 am

"Wind in the East catch the least" is an old one, this is quoted on both East and West coasts because I believe it is more to do with air pressure than wind direction as such.

I was pondering the effects of changing the gradient of a beach/ sea wall area as
part of building flood defences and how this might change underwater  acoustic noise or breaker zone pressure along the foreshore and if this might affect fishing.

Along the way I found this article.

https://midcurrent.com/science/the-pressure-myth

A bait digger told me about air pressure affecting lug depth a few years ago.

There are also quite a few articles on the
web about air pressure and carp fishing.

General consensus is that air pressure does affect fish
Back to top Go down
Rhod Lloyd
Fishing Addict
Rhod Lloyd

Number of posts : 617
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6485

Fish and air pressure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish and air pressure   Fish and air pressure EmptyWed Jul 08, 2020 3:39 am

In NZ the phrase is "wind from the south fish close their mouth", A southerly is a cold wind here, and we are expecting one tomorrow, I would think it is more the drop in temperature more than pressure.
Another view on this is that a southerly badly affects many popular fishing areas around Auckland with rough seas. I sometimes boat fish a spot sheltered by cliffs from the south and have had good times there.
When fishing in water more than 30 M deep, many fish suffer embolism, ie. their swim bladders cannot release air quickly enough, and if released float on the surface unable to dive.
Back to top Go down

Fish and air pressure
Page 1 of 1