5 posters
AuthorMessage
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6108
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13669

Splash Point Works Empty
PostSubject: Splash Point Works   Splash Point Works EmptySun Jul 05, 2020 9:08 pm

https://www.eastrhylcoast.co.uk/gallery

See above link.

If you are not local to Rhyl and lockdown has kept you away you may not be aware of the impending changes at Splash Point ( I think there was a post about it a few months ago)

Preparation to date includes erecting a fence closing the East Promenade from somewhere by the Pavilion Theatre, ( where they have built a construction site HQ ) as far as Splash Point and this includes preventing access to the platform at Splash from the western side or being able to fish off the rails west of Splash ( not legitimately anyway)

I read that the prom access would be opened at weekends and bank holidays - but I was down there today ( Sunday 5th July 2020 and the barriers were still in place)

You can at the moment fish off the platform by using the steps at the eastern end, however the promenade from Splash eastwards will be closed in due course as part of the works that could last two years.

Basically it's all about flood protection but if you look at the images in the above link you'll see that the platform used by so many to fish will be no more.

The artist's impression shows some steps through the rock armour, if accurate it holds out some hope of fishing off there but looks very limited first come first served at best!

I"ve taken a few pics for posterity and will add more in the future as work progresses.

Last edited by Notbad on Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:06 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Splash Point Works Empty
PostSubject: Re: Splash Point Works   Splash Point Works EmptySun Jul 05, 2020 9:47 pm

The fencing has prompted a few comments, " it's to hold back the water",
" they are extending the beach",
"Its to keep the locals in/ to keep visitors out"

The closure of the prom also now means pedestrians and cyclists are
mixing it on the narrow roadside pavement ( dual right of way cycleway/footpath signs have appeared)

Splash Point Works 20200717
Splash Point Works 20200718
Splash Point Works 20200719

Last edited by Notbad on Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Splash Point Works Empty
PostSubject: Re: Splash Point Works   Splash Point Works EmptySun Jul 05, 2020 9:49 pm

Splash Point Works 20200720
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Splash Point Works Empty
PostSubject: Re: Splash Point Works   Splash Point Works EmptySun Jul 05, 2020 9:51 pm

Splash Point Works 20200721
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Splash Point Works Empty
PostSubject: Re: Splash Point Works   Splash Point Works EmptySun Jul 05, 2020 9:53 pm

Splash Point Works 20200722

Splash Point Works 20200723
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

Number of posts : 1717
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 4987

Splash Point Works Empty
PostSubject: Re: Splash Point Works   Splash Point Works EmptyMon Jul 06, 2020 12:50 am

I wasn't aware that Rhyl was a flood risk area.
I know the road down to Abergele certainly is.I knew someone who had a bungalow and someone who had a house in Abergele who got flooded on a regular basis.
The parking in Rhyl can be a nightmare since it was altered,don't they realise people will stay on the A55 and bypass Rhyl because of it.
I admired the way they got on with the A55,and the connection with the M56,but I wonder if they have really considered the outcome of the alterations in Rhyl?
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Splash Point Works Empty
PostSubject: Re: Splash Point Works   Splash Point Works EmptyMon Jul 06, 2020 8:23 pm

VALVEBOUNCE wrote:
I wasn't aware that Rhyl was a flood risk area.
I know the road down to Abergele certainly is.I knew someone who had a bungalow and someone who had a house in Abergele who got flooded on a regular basis.
The parking in Rhyl can be a nightmare since it was altered,don't they realise people will stay on the A55 and bypass Rhyl because of it.
I admired the way they got on with the A55,and the connection with the M56,but I wonder if they have really considered the outcome of the alterations in Rhyl?

It floods behind Splash along the stretch being rock armoured

Splash Point Works 1_js2910

Oh and when I drove along passed Splash today, it looked like the stickers saying
"free parking until further notice" might have gone from the pay and display machines
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

Splash Point Works Empty
PostSubject: Re: Splash Point Works   Splash Point Works EmptyMon Jul 06, 2020 10:52 pm

I didn't realise Rhyl got flooded.I remember in the late 50's the caravan parks got flooded,and there were caravans floating about all over the place.
Golden Sands was our family haunt in those days.The four wheel bikes were great,and the ice cream on Golden sands was something to look forward to. lol!
Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Marlin Hunter
Kirky's Dad

Number of posts : 2866
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7870

Splash Point Works Empty
PostSubject: Re: Splash Point Works   Splash Point Works EmptyTue Jul 07, 2020 9:07 am

VALVEBOUNCE wrote:
I didn't realise Rhyl got flooded.I remember in the late 50's the caravan parks got flooded,and there were caravans floating about all over the place.
Golden Sands was our family haunt in those days.The four wheel bikes were great,and the ice cream on Golden sands was something to look forward to. lol!
With your knitted trunks and no sun cream we used to look like lobsters and my Dad sitting on the beach in a jacket, trousers and tie with the trousers rolled up to his knees. Donkey rides the highlight of our holiday. Happy times. Cool Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Splash Point Works Empty
PostSubject: Re: Splash Point Works   Splash Point Works EmptyTue Jul 07, 2020 9:43 am

How our knitted trunks ever stayed up when wet I'll never know!

When I was in Kinmel Bay last week they
were surveying the lower beach levels, whether that is to see what effect the most recent pebble dump has had on sand levels or with further plans in mind I don't know.

Google Towyn floods 1990 if you are not aware of what happened on this coast ( not just in Towyn) 30 years ago

Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Marlin Hunter
Kirky's Dad

Number of posts : 2866
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7870

Splash Point Works Empty
PostSubject: Re: Splash Point Works   Splash Point Works EmptyTue Jul 07, 2020 2:26 pm

Notbad wrote:

were surveying the lower beach levels, whether that is to see what effect the most recent pebble dump has had on sand levels or with further plans in mind I don't know.

Google Towyn floods 1990 if you are not aware of what happened on this coast  ( not just in Towyn) 30 years ago

I don’t think they did half the time but it didn’t seem to matter to much then. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
squidward
Tope Hunter
squidward

Number of posts : 1096
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7232

Splash Point Works Empty
PostSubject: Re: Splash Point Works   Splash Point Works EmptyTue Jul 07, 2020 5:15 pm

I was fishing down there last week, we were talking to a couple of the Balfour Beatty workers and they said our fishing platform is going to be the way for the dumpers to carry the boulders down with a ramp either end. When it`s finished the railings West of the point will still be fishable, but the boulders will be a lot higher and 30 meters out from the wall. I did ask if they could leave some flat ones on the top, but I`m not holding out a lot of hope. It`s been my go to place to fish for over 50 years, but as my house is one of the 1600 identified as at risk of flooding I don`t mind fishing elsewhere for a couple of years.
Back to top Go down
Rhod Lloyd
Fishing Addict
Rhod Lloyd

Number of posts : 617
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6486

Splash Point Works Empty
PostSubject: Re: Splash Point Works   Splash Point Works EmptyWed Jul 08, 2020 3:57 am

Think of the advantages Squidward, the fish will come to your house!

From the plans, there's going to be a hell of a pile of rocks to fish over.

Is it the geography of the point that gives the good fishing or just the deeper water, do people regularly fish to the west of the proposed rock wall, or is it a case of no fish there because nobody fishes there?
Back to top Go down
squidward
Tope Hunter
squidward

Number of posts : 1096
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7232

Splash Point Works Empty
PostSubject: Re: Splash Point Works   Splash Point Works EmptyThu Jul 09, 2020 7:55 pm

Rhod Lloyd wrote:
Think of the advantages Squidward, the fish will come to your house!

From the plans, there's going to be a hell of a pile of rocks to fish over.

Is it the geography of the point that gives the good fishing or just the deeper water, do people regularly fish to the west of the proposed rock wall, or is it a case of no fish there because nobody fishes there?

Hi Rhod, there are plenty of fish from the prom to the West of the point, but on the smaller tides the water is a lot shallower than directly in front of the rocks. We have had a few club matches there and anglers casting off the prom have done quite well in them.
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

Splash Point Works Empty
PostSubject: Re: Splash Point Works   Splash Point Works EmptySun Jul 12, 2020 10:26 am

Notbad wrote:

Google Towyn floods 1990 if you are not aware of what happened on this coast  ( not just in Towyn) 30 years ago

When I dived in the water,especially at the swimming baths,I used to turn my toes outwards to catch my trunks in case they came off altogether. lol!
For school,I had a cut down pair of white shorts that my Dad had had when he was a CPO in the Royal Navy.
The floods I saw were in about 1954.
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Splash Point Works Empty
PostSubject: Re: Splash Point Works   Splash Point Works EmptySun Aug 23, 2020 5:49 pm

Couple of pics taken today

Splash Point Works 20200810

Splash Point Works 20200811
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

Splash Point Works Empty
PostSubject: Re: Splash Point Works   Splash Point Works EmptyMon Aug 24, 2020 2:36 am

It might not turn out too bad..
They did the same at Llandulas,and it is fishable.
If the rocks they use are big enough,it might be possible to fish off them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Splash Point Works Empty
PostSubject: Re: Splash Point Works   Splash Point Works Empty

Back to top Go down

Splash Point Works
Page 1 of 1