Go down 
AuthorMessage
congerman1962
Tope Hunter

Number of posts : 1317
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6680

setting plans  Empty
PostSubject: setting plans    setting plans  EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 4:14 pm

Wink WELL I myself have stared getting ready for this years fishing, Over the last few months I have been preparing for this years fishing I do this BY browsing the catch reports from the last year seeing my target species + that's the easy part then begins the task of walking the venues at high water speaking to the anglers there fishing then walking it at low water (usually with my bait pump) I will do this all summer visiting the venue maybe 2-3 times a week day or night , I look in the rock pools + gullies for any signs of food for the target fish I am after I look for gullies ,large hollows in the sand ,broken ground ,groynes (were the tide places food items or were the small fish,and other sea life can shelter from the tide run ,mud patches ,worm beds ,blow worm beds , mussels , cockles ,shrimps ,all these are attractive to the quarry I am after I know not every one takes it as serious as me and just love to go fishing but this is how I do it I then tie about 10-15 rigs up for the venue at the moment I am looking at x5 venues so that's approx x3 DIFRENT Rigs so that's x30+rigs then I will tie some of the same rigs but with smaller or bigger hooks +some with rotten bottoms so I would say I usually tie about 80-100 rigs ready same as weights I am lucky I only use x5oz for my big rods but I have approx 100 ready stock as On some venues I can loose 10+ leads in A night / Bait Wise I stock up with x100 packs frozen lug (for stuffing into whole squid ) A Lot of people will laugh at this but I don't mind with all my preparation I can just look out side +decide to go to one of the spots Ive been watching as I always have about 20+packs of fresh lug ready in the fridge My hopes this year are These species of our local beaches A SKATE ,conger, smooth hound + a bull huss, I have caught these before but not on our local beaches I did try for smooth hound last year but I was a bit late in the year but now thanks to A member of the forum he put me right cheers for that Joe ,,,,,,It would be interesting to hear how others make there plans or do they Wink
Back to top Go down

setting plans  Empty
PostSubject: Re: setting plans    setting plans  EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 6:54 pm

clive if i lived by the sea my wife would never see me. Like your planning mate doing your home work and prep work is what separates the men from the boys. Though i dont live by the sea i am always thinks of sea fishing almost to the point of obsessed. Same as you plans rigs bait etc. one of my best baits i have used this year is mussel and have it of to a tea to put it on my hook with little effort. The only hard part is shelling them ,i do this at home the night before .deadly for dabs and whiting . My plans this spring and summer are to go on neap tides so if there a surf running i will fish the gullys at gronant for the bass. Our if its calm i will target the flounder and plaice at green fields. I will need a good supply of fresh peeler for the dee. It will be interesting to see if the plaice will be keen on the mussel if i struggle to get peeler. Good luck see you in the future Smile
Back to top Go down

setting plans  Empty
PostSubject: Re: setting plans    setting plans  EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 5:08 pm

many moons ago i kept a log of tide time hight venue bait weather hook size catch if any etc etc.
now its is the tide in or out as for the fish the seasons of winter and summer seem to be fading away whiting/codling in summer bass ? dogfish in winter.
im going fishing tonight in the dark in winter on a pier with hook and bait will it be worth it thats fishing.
PS CLIVE YOUR ONE STEP AWAY FROM MATCH FISHING WITH ALL THAT PREP.
Back to top Go down
congerman1962
Tope Hunter

setting plans  Empty
PostSubject: Re: setting plans    setting plans  EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 6:22 pm

happy new year mate (eddythefly ) not seen you for A while hope your Keeping well good luck with your fishing this year mate Wink

Back to top Go down

setting plans  Empty
PostSubject: low water fish   setting plans  EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 6:54 pm

Pumped some lug early Sunday for a match that I could not get to, so not to waste the lug i am fishing low Tue am from off Splash, are there any problems with retreating from there? Smile Smile
Back to top Go down

setting plans  Empty
PostSubject: Re: setting plans    setting plans  EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 7:10 pm

beware mud/clay very soft take an italian pizza with you no problem retreating lol.
Back to top Go down

setting plans  Empty
PostSubject: Re: setting plans    setting plans  EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 7:13 pm

thanks clive only been about six times since i seen you at colwyn bay.
Back to top Go down

setting plans  Empty
PostSubject: Re: setting plans    setting plans  EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 8:42 pm

hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

your 1st and big mistake. it dont matter how you prepaire yourself for it. its tide and weather that you will have to work out at most venues if you dont you'll find out it wont fish.
2nd because the fish were there last year it dont mean they'll be there year after year.
codling are noted for it aswell as hounds . them hounds we had last year we fished that mark for the last 4 years and its the 1st time we had them last year. in previous years we had them at the rock channel but they havent shown there for the last 2 years.
it'll be nice to see you with a fish over a 1lb. so good luck.
Back to top Go down

setting plans  Empty
PostSubject: Re: setting plans    setting plans  EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 7:18 am

The three most important things in my opinion,in order of importance are

1-venue, if the fish you're after rarely show where you're fishing then odds on you won't catch one, no
matter how much effort you put in.

2-Weather, if the sea's rising,falling,rough or flat calm will affect your chances of getting your target
species, you've got to be ready to go as soon as it's right, planning to go here next week and there
the week after isn't the way to go.

3- The tide size and at what time to fish it,ebb,flood etc.
and then there's bait, rigs, distance etc

And even when everythings right you can still fail, 'cos there's loads more variables which determin wether
the fish come in or not, air pressure etc etc, things we know nothing about, even if we like to think we do !!

As for huss,rays,and conger Clive, you need to get to Anglesey or the llyn, i very much doubt you'll get them
locally
Back to top Go down
congerman1962
Tope Hunter

setting plans  Empty
PostSubject: Re: setting plans    setting plans  EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 12:13 pm

cheers degs +Joe +tony appreciate others sharing there knowledge +skill that will help me achieve my aim I appreciate your help +input,
I have over the years fished mostly on my own (by choice) and like it, but on occasions I have fished with other anglers +enjoyed it as you rightly say you cant catch fish that are not there cheers lads Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

setting plans  Empty
PostSubject: Re: setting plans    setting plans  Empty

Back to top Go down

setting plans
Page 1 of 1