sunnyrhyl.forumotion.com

Stay Alert, Stay Safe!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Can you remember your first fishing rod and reel?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

Number of posts : 1712
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 4966

Can you remember your first fishing rod and reel? Empty
PostSubject: Can you remember your first fishing rod and reel?   Can you remember your first fishing rod and reel? EmptyFri Oct 14, 2022 1:54 am

Mine was a 3 section cane rod with a greenhart top section,the reel was a base metal reel (Like a fy reel) with a clicker ratchet on it. (1961)
To cast any distance you had to pull a loop of line from between the eyes(rod rings) and release them when you made a cast.My maggot tin/box was aluminium.
First fish,a Perch.
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6105
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13652

PostSubject: Re: Can you remember your first fishing rod and reel?   Can you remember your first fishing rod and reel? EmptyFri Oct 14, 2022 9:17 am

a Milbro coarse rod of about 10 feet or maybe10 feet 6, orange in colour and an Intrepid Black Prince reel.
Wicker fishing creel, knotted mesh keepnet.

First fish I actually remember catching was a sea fish though, a flattie, hauled in over the harbour wall at Bridlington, I was not much more than a toddler and I couldn't actually see the sea, the flattie seemed enormous but I don't suppose it was.

Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

PostSubject: Re: Can you remember your first fishing rod and reel?   Can you remember your first fishing rod and reel? EmptyFri Oct 14, 2022 9:54 am

I had dabbled earlier with a 3ft garden cane with aboutt 4ft of nylon on it.
16's eyed hook,and a dot of bread on it.
When the dot of bread went out of sight,you had a baby carp on it.
Mill lodge in Manchester (1954)Nylon line was like 'Golden thread' those days. lol!
Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Marlin Hunter
Kirky's Dad

Number of posts : 2862
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7852

PostSubject: Re: Can you remember your first fishing rod and reel?   Can you remember your first fishing rod and reel? EmptySat Oct 15, 2022 9:19 am

Mine was a friend of my Dad’s gave me an old rod I think looking back it was probably a sea rod all cane the tip was nearly as thick as my little finger. I went to the village shop that sold a bit of tackle and got a bakelite 4’’ centre pine reel some line, hooks and a float, I had no idea what I was doing the float was about the size of table tennis ball made of cork with a red top and a green underneath and a stick that went through the middle it looked great. I went home and dug some worms great big lob worms and cycled about 4 miles to a fishing pool that cost a shilling a day. Needless to say I spent all day sitting by the lake and not a thing. An old chap sat watching me all day and came over in the end and gave me a float and hook that was more in line with catching Roach and Perch and gave me a few tips. Moved on after that and got a split cane spinning rod that cost me £5 10s and a fixed spool reel had them for years. This was all back in about 1955. fishing
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

PostSubject: Re: Can you remember your first fishing rod and reel?   Can you remember your first fishing rod and reel? EmptySat Oct 15, 2022 2:13 pm

Kirky's Dad wrote:
Mine was a friend of my Dad’s gave me an old rod I think looking back it was probably a sea rod all cane the tip was nearly as thick as my little finger. I went to the village shop that sold a bit of tackle and got a bakelite 4’’ centre pine reel some line, hooks and a float, I had no idea what I was doing the float was about the size of table tennis ball made of cork with a red top and a green underneath and a stick that went through the middle it looked great. I went home and dug some worms great big lob worms and cycled about 4 miles to a fishing pool that cost a shilling a day. Needless to say I spent all day sitting by the lake and not a thing. An old chap sat watching me all day and came over in the end and gave me a float and hook that was more in line with catching Roach and Perch and gave me a few tips. Moved on after that and got a split cane spinning rod that cost me £5 10s and a fixed spool reel had them for years. This was all back in about 1955. fishing

Haha,happy days.When you catch that first fish,that's it,you are a fishing addict for life. lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can you remember your first fishing rod and reel?   Can you remember your first fishing rod and reel? Empty

Back to top Go down

Can you remember your first fishing rod and reel?
Page 1 of 1