2 posters
AuthorMessage
MusselMan
ADMIN
MusselMan

Number of posts : 1303
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7107

A small tribute to our family WWII veterans on VE day Empty
PostSubject: A small tribute to our family WWII veterans on VE day   A small tribute to our family WWII veterans on VE day EmptyFri May 08, 2020 1:36 pm

This VE day celebration is a day of mixed emotions for some of us. There is also irony that those most at risk of corvid now are the very people who served and remember the actual VE day.

Memories of our relatives that we are celebrating today are below. We wish they were with us still so that we could be celebrating VE day together, but we can celebrate and honour in their memory.

Please feel free to add your own relatives if you wish to do so, whether living or not. I scoured the internet to find the most appropriate image that I could for this. This is what I came up with ...

A small tribute to our family WWII veterans on VE day 20200510

Lily for her service at anti-aircraft listening posts on Anglesea and Durham

John for his service in the tank regiment in the western desert campaign and Europe.

Ken for his service in the infantry in Europe.

Daniel for his service in the royal and the merchant navy.
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6098
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13630

PostSubject: Re: A small tribute to our family WWII veterans on VE day   A small tribute to our family WWII veterans on VE day EmptySat May 09, 2020 7:46 pm

Sorry I overlooked this post yesterday.

I know only snippets of my family's parts in the war, as a kid I was probably more  fixated on building Airfix kits and reading "Commando" war comic books. Here however is a thought for Great Uncle Edward who saw terrible things even during the final stages of the liberation of Europe, he was never the same, suffering what we would now call PTSD to the point that he couldn't adjust back to normal life after service in the army and raged against hypocrisy whenever he saw it until some time in the mid 1960's he took his own life, you won't find his name on any memorial but a victim of the War never the less as I'm sure so many others were.
Back to top Go down
MusselMan
ADMIN
MusselMan

Number of posts : 1303
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7107

PostSubject: Re: A small tribute to our family WWII veterans on VE day   A small tribute to our family WWII veterans on VE day EmptySat May 09, 2020 8:20 pm

I recall reading a comic called "battle".

It is still VE day in Russia, so we can toast a thankyou and celebrate VE day with the memory of Great Uncle Edward tonight.

Some of my family never fully recovered from their experience although not to this sad extent.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A small tribute to our family WWII veterans on VE day   A small tribute to our family WWII veterans on VE day Empty

Back to top Go down

A small tribute to our family WWII veterans on VE day
Page 1 of 1