sunnyrhyl.forumotion.com

Stay Alert, Stay Safe!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Tell me why I don't Pike ( more) Mondays!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6108
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13666

Tell me why I don't Pike ( more) Mondays! Empty
PostSubject: Tell me why I don't Pike ( more) Mondays!   Tell me why I don't Pike ( more) Mondays! EmptyTue Mar 05, 2019 7:34 pm

Tell me why I don't Pike ( more) Mondays! 20190312

The last time I got over to fish The Fens for Pike with my brother Pete, the weather had other ideas and The Beast from The East froze many of the drains and made it a fruitless and very cold trip.

This week's session was to be preceeded by the warmest February on record and with the reports of Pike stealing fewer match catches than of late and the bait fish shoals dispersing it seemed like we might have left it too near the close season as the Pike might have other things on their minds.

Nevertheless Monday morning had us casting lures into a chill Fenland wind with optimism and a plan to roam in search of predator action

Tell me why I don't Pike ( more) Mondays! 20190315

Tell me why I don't Pike ( more) Mondays! 20190316

Tell me why I don't Pike ( more) Mondays! 20190317

Tell me why I don't Pike ( more) Mondays! 20190318
After a couple of hours we tried this bridge, the features scream Pike but I've never had any luck here, first cast and my lure
landed on the island of the first buttress and I feared it would snag on the vegetation but it came free and plopped into the water right by the brickwork and as it did so a big swirl on the water suggested a surprised Pike was about!

It took me three casts to get the length right and drop the lure "on its head" and this time it was game on!

Tell me why I don't Pike ( more) Mondays! 20190319
Tell me why I don't Pike ( more) Mondays! 20190320
Tell me why I don't Pike ( more) Mondays! 20190321

With the adrenalin running and optimism renewed we got back to casting
Tell me why I don't Pike ( more) Mondays! 20190322

Three casts later I'm giving it the "sink and draw" and watching the soft jointed
silver lure 12 feet from my rod tip as it sank, when suddenly a surge of colour rocketted from the depths and snatched it and I was attached to a second Pike at very close quarters
Tell me why I don't Pike ( more) Mondays! 20190323

Tell me why I don't Pike ( more) Mondays! 20190324

Two very similar Pike and we had to check all the photos carefully later to be sure they weren't the same one.

Deciding to rest this spot we spent the rest of the day trying other spots without a take before returning to the bridge again at sunset.

There were to be no more takes, I'd  have loved to see bruv get one as well but I'm well pleased with my two
Tell me why I don't Pike ( more) Mondays! 20190325

I really must fish more Mondays!

Last edited by Notbad on Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
stevo
Swordfish Hunter
stevo

Number of posts : 3613
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 9936

PostSubject: Re: Tell me why I don't Pike ( more) Mondays!   Tell me why I don't Pike ( more) Mondays! EmptyTue Mar 05, 2019 9:25 pm

Cracking report and pic's Paul look's a great place
to fish fishing I might need some tips on
how to catch a pike this year lol!
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

Number of posts : 6951
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13902

PostSubject: Re: Tell me why I don't Pike ( more) Mondays!   Tell me why I don't Pike ( more) Mondays! EmptyWed Mar 06, 2019 6:13 am

Brilliant report very exciting cheers
Well done cth
Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Marlin Hunter
Kirky's Dad

Number of posts : 2866
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7867

PostSubject: Re: Tell me why I don't Pike ( more) Mondays!   Tell me why I don't Pike ( more) Mondays! EmptyWed Mar 06, 2019 8:04 am

Great report and pictures Paul you look very pleased with yourself.cth:[url=http://ww
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

PostSubject: Re: Tell me why I don't Pike ( more) Mondays!   Tell me why I don't Pike ( more) Mondays! EmptySat Mar 09, 2019 6:16 pm

Kirky's Dad wrote:
Great report and pictures Paul you look very pleased with yourself.cth:[url=http://ww

Sure am!

Tell me why I don't Pike ( more) Mondays! 20190326
Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Marlin Hunter
Kirky's Dad

Number of posts : 2866
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7867

PostSubject: Re: Tell me why I don't Pike ( more) Mondays!   Tell me why I don't Pike ( more) Mondays! EmptySun Mar 10, 2019 8:14 am

They really are a lovely looking fish when you see them close up as in your pictures, a hunting machine.
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

Number of posts : 1717
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 4984

PostSubject: Re: Tell me why I don't Pike ( more) Mondays!   Tell me why I don't Pike ( more) Mondays! EmptySun Mar 10, 2019 12:36 pm

stevo wrote:
Cracking report and pic's Paul look's a great place
to fish fishing  I might need some tips on
how to catch a pike this year lol!

Gelignite lol!
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

Number of posts : 1717
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 4984

PostSubject: Re: Tell me why I don't Pike ( more) Mondays!   Tell me why I don't Pike ( more) Mondays! EmptySun Mar 10, 2019 12:41 pm

Well done Paul,It looks a bit chilly there.
Looks like it would be a great place in the summer.
I've never been to the Fens,or had a clue what they looked like,
the pics were handy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tell me why I don't Pike ( more) Mondays!   Tell me why I don't Pike ( more) Mondays! EmptyMon Mar 11, 2019 10:06 am

Sounds a great session, loving the pics.

Why has that lock structure got so many ways in / out?
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

PostSubject: Re: Tell me why I don't Pike ( more) Mondays!   Tell me why I don't Pike ( more) Mondays! EmptyMon Mar 11, 2019 1:53 pm

SimonT wrote:
Sounds a great session, loving the pics.

Why has that lock structure got so many ways in / out?

Cheers,
The bridge and associated structure is at the junction of two of the Fen drains, the Fens are reclaimed land and the roads buckle giving away how the sub soil behaves so I guess a fair bit of engineering went into the design of what must be quite a heavy structure, the water is moved along by pumping stations as the area is so flat ( much of it is below sea level) and the flow is carefully managed, the sluicing actions can stir up the silt and weed and lead to changes in the water depth and clarity and I guess the gates in the bridge are part of regulating the flow rate and keeping the gates to manageable weights.

Dredging the drains and clearance of the reed margins affects the fishing week to week means local knowledge is a big help.

In places there are booms to catch the weed.
We lure fish after the weed has died back.

There are actually only two routes the other side of the bridge.

The central area is very snaggy!

So I don't know the exact answer to your question Simon  but the draining of the Fens was an impressive bit of work and they clearly knew what they were about in the 1600s!

The waters we fished require a local angling club" book"  by the way.

From a licence perspective they are rivers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tell me why I don't Pike ( more) Mondays!   Tell me why I don't Pike ( more) Mondays! Empty

Back to top Go down

Tell me why I don't Pike ( more) Mondays!
Page 1 of 1