5 posters
AuthorMessage
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6108
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13668

In Arctic Waters Part One Empty
PostSubject: In Arctic Waters Part One   In Arctic Waters Part One EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 8:41 pm

In Arctic Waters, the 'moon and back part one

A few months back Tina and I got in to watching a TV series, " In Arctic Waters" filmed in northern Norway about a small fishing community,

https://press.discovery.com/uk/quest/programs/arctic-waters

Thoughts of visiting Norway began to take form and then escalated a whole lot when we decided Norway would make an excellent venue for our Honeymoon ( yeah we've got married!)
and Tina was perfectly happy for me to take  a travel rod - because that's that kind of girl she is and one of the reasons I consider myself very lucky  to have married her!

Part one.
A lot of research went into the planning, initially a flight to Oslo and then by rail towards Bergen with the intention of a
planned detour switching trains at Myrdal to take the cog railway down to Flam would be just the start of our adventure.

As we left Oslo the Autumn colours gave way to bare trees as we climbed into the mountains and at the highest point snow.

In Arctic Waters Part One Img-2010

In Arctic Waters Part One 20181010

Then an unexpected development with an announcement that there had been an avalanche on our connecting line and no trains were running to Flam.

Norwegian transport is however very efficient! The guard worked his way through the carriage taking notes of everyone's destination and their accommodation plans for that night and  he was soon back with a plan for those of us booked in to a hotel in Flam, the railway company had arranged for us to travel beyond Myrdal and to be met at Vos and taken by coach to Flam.

In Vos  the rain was utterly torrential, fields were flooded, thousands of waterfalls tipped into rivers so violently swollen they seemed to be flowing in both directions at once,

But the well engineered roads remained open and we reached our destination via the mighty Laerdal Tunnel which at over 15 miles long is the longest road tunnel in the world.
In Arctic Waters Part One 20181012

Dawn next morning was my first opportunity to wet a line, I'd packed a few bits of kit but no bait and for a first chuck thought I'd give a soft lure a go.

The Flam river was raging and quite unfishable, but the night before the cruise ship MV Colombus was moored on the
Aurlandsfjord 50 yards from our hotel

In Arctic Waters Part One 20181015

In Arctic Waters Part One 20181014[/url]

A quick Google gave Columbus' draft as 27 feet so it had to be worth a giving it a go of the quayside.

Nothing took the lure but I wasn't disheartened - we'd a lot of miles ahead of us, our journey to Arctic Waters had barely  begun and doubtless a fish was waiting somewhere!

Part two coming soon!
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

Number of posts : 6951
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13904

PostSubject: Re: In Arctic Waters Part One   In Arctic Waters Part One EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 11:06 pm

Congratulations on the nuptials guys I love you
Can't wait for part 2 bounce
Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Marlin Hunter
Kirky's Dad

Number of posts : 2866
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7869

PostSubject: Re: In Arctic Waters Part One   In Arctic Waters Part One EmptyWed Oct 24, 2018 9:29 am

Congratulations the both of you sounds a if you are going to have the time of your life, can't wait for part two. Have a rage time party .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: In Arctic Waters Part One   In Arctic Waters Part One EmptyThu Oct 25, 2018 8:19 pm

Congrats! Just read the threads back to front but still enjoyed it.
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

PostSubject: Re: In Arctic Waters Part One   In Arctic Waters Part One EmptyThu Oct 25, 2018 9:19 pm

Thank you for your best wishes - Tina is a keeper!
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
stevo
Swordfish Hunter
stevo

Number of posts : 3613
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 9938

PostSubject: Re: In Arctic Waters Part One   In Arctic Waters Part One EmptyThu Oct 25, 2018 11:48 pm

Congratulations to the both of you I love you I love you party

A wedding and a great fishing report does it get any better! cheers
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

PostSubject: Re: In Arctic Waters Part One   In Arctic Waters Part One EmptyFri Oct 26, 2018 11:20 am

stevo wrote:
Congratulations to the both of you  I love you  I love you party

A wedding and a great fishing report does it get any better!  cheers

Thanks Stevo!
Back to top Go down
Rhod Lloyd
Fishing Addict
Rhod Lloyd

Number of posts : 617
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6485

PostSubject: Re: In Arctic Waters Part One   In Arctic Waters Part One EmptyMon Oct 29, 2018 1:44 am

Hearty congratulations to you and Tina, what a great trip.
A travel rod is heaps better than a friend of mine in Canada, his mother insisted on accompanying the happy couple, when the urge came upon them during the day, they would swim across the lake to an island knowing she would not follow.
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

PostSubject: Re: In Arctic Waters Part One   In Arctic Waters Part One EmptyMon Oct 29, 2018 8:57 pm

Thanks Rhod!

Not sure I'd fancy swimming in the Arctic though!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: In Arctic Waters Part One   In Arctic Waters Part One Empty

Back to top Go down

In Arctic Waters Part One
Page 1 of 1