7 posters
AuthorMessage
Rhod Lloyd
Fishing Addict
Rhod Lloyd

Number of posts : 617
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6477

Fishing trip of a lifetime, part 3  Empty
PostSubject: Fishing trip of a lifetime, part 3    Fishing trip of a lifetime, part 3  EmptySun Sep 02, 2018 3:39 am

I supose it is time I got to the fishing experience in Canada, it was four 10 hour days on the water, 5-30 wake up and on the boats at 7am. The boats are 18 ft fibreglass with an inboard motor and an outboard for trolling.

Fishing trip of a lifetime, part 3  Img_5116

Fishing trip of a lifetime, part 3  Img_5311

Map of Naden Harbour and the fishing spots up the coast

A half hour to the fishing spots outside the Naden harbour. The rods are very whippy 10ft with a marine vertion of a fly fishing reel, and 30lb line, 2 fished off downriggers and one or two rods with 8oz sinkers then an 8ft trace with two 5/0 hooks, and for bait, 6inch herrings with the head and guts removed. These are hooked head end first, so that they spin slowly in the current, set at different depths in about 40ft of water and trolled slowly just outside the bull kelp line often only 50ft from the rocks. The herring shoals shelter from the current as do the salmon.

Fishing trip of a lifetime, part 3  Img_5121

The boats follow each other in a circle, taking turns for the favoured run along the kelp line, when a fish is hooked the boat eases out of the circle to land it

We fished two to a boat and each of the skippers had their favoured spots at each stage of tide. Similar to NZ, the tidal range was about 10ft. It was high tide 6am the first day, so the idea was to fish for king salmon for a few hours. We took it turn about for each hooked fish, and Kevin was first up with a good 15lb salmon which he kept, I was next, another of about 12 lbs which I released. We each caught a pink salmon which are only any good for eating straight away, an hour after they are caught the flesh goes mushy, so these were released.

Fishing trip of a lifetime, part 3  Img_5216

Pink salmon

Now time to motor out 15 minutes to 300ft of water, a bank called the peanut, as it is the shape of a peanut shell. This is more serious fishing, heavy boat rods and 80lb braid, terminal tackle was 24oz of lead, with an outrigger 6in up and a herring or two on a big circle hook on a 6in trace. Our skipper only fished one rod at a time, other skippers 2, the boat is kept over the bait with the outboard, though at low tide hardly any current. We could both have fished with lighter gear, but the lodge record halibut was 250lb, a 50, 60, and 80lb halibut were released in our group, any over 115cm have to be released by non Canadian anglers

Fishing trip of a lifetime, part 3  Img_5117

First up a spiny cod released

Fishing trip of a lifetime, part 3  Img_5115

Then a small halibut each, about 10lbs, both released.

Fishing trip of a lifetime, part 3  Img_5120

After the current strengthened, we headed back in to a group of boats over a school of Coho salmon, I had only put the bait in the water and was letting it down when the first one was on, soon landed, a good fish of 11 lbs, I later had a smaller one at 7 lbs. I kept these to take home.

I will send this before "murphy" looses it
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

Number of posts : 6951
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13896

PostSubject: Re: Fishing trip of a lifetime, part 3    Fishing trip of a lifetime, part 3  EmptySun Sep 02, 2018 7:44 am

Great read and pictures hope there's more to follow Basketball
Back to top Go down
ianroberts
Conger Hunter
ianroberts

Number of posts : 755
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6162

PostSubject: Re: Fishing trip of a lifetime, part 3    Fishing trip of a lifetime, part 3  EmptySun Sep 02, 2018 7:33 pm

Just wow !

Marlin Hunter
Kirky's Dad

Number of posts : 2866
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7861

PostSubject: Re: Fishing trip of a lifetime, part 3    Fishing trip of a lifetime, part 3  EmptyMon Sep 03, 2018 9:29 am

You will remember that trip for a long time. boat cth
Back to top Go down
headwyn
Sunnyrhyl Addict
Sunnyrhyl Addict
headwyn

Number of posts : 2016
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 8066

PostSubject: Re: Fishing trip of a lifetime, part 3    Fishing trip of a lifetime, part 3  EmptyMon Sep 03, 2018 6:12 pm

Looking forward to the next instalment.
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6107
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13659

PostSubject: Re: Fishing trip of a lifetime, part 3    Fishing trip of a lifetime, part 3  EmptyTue Sep 04, 2018 11:03 pm

Awesome!
Back to top Go down
tatch
Tope Hunter
tatch

Number of posts : 1024
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6050

PostSubject: Re: Fishing trip of a lifetime, part 3    Fishing trip of a lifetime, part 3  EmptySun Sep 23, 2018 4:27 pm

What a good do Rhod cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fishing trip of a lifetime, part 3    Fishing trip of a lifetime, part 3  Empty

Back to top Go down

Fishing trip of a lifetime, part 3
Page 1 of 1