Stay Alert, Stay Safe!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A quick "Hi" to everybody!

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

A quick "Hi" to everybody! Empty
PostSubject: A quick "Hi" to everybody!   A quick "Hi" to everybody! EmptyThu Mar 31, 2016 12:47 pm

Just a quick "Hi" to everybody..

A recent house move means I know live within a reasonable distance of the North Wales coast so I thought I'd give sea fishing a try..

My main passion is shooting, but I've fished a little in the past, but mostly course and other fresh water fishing.

I have a young grandson now, and I thought I'd better start fishing again ready for when he is old enough to come out with me.

I've been out a few times around Connah's Quay but not had any luck. I am hoping to get out again on Friday, but not really sure where to try next so any advice would be welcome,

Edited to add, where is this "sunny" Rhyl??? I've only found the grey over cast version! Very Happy

Regards,

Peter
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A quick "Hi" to everybody!   A quick "Hi" to everybody! EmptyThu Mar 31, 2016 6:44 pm

Pete E wrote:
Just a quick "Hi" to everybody..

Edited to add, where is this "sunny" Rhyl??? I've only found the grey over cast version!  Very Happy

Regards,

Peter
it was today you must have missed it
Back to top Go down
stevo
Swordfish Hunter
stevo

Number of posts : 3613
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 9931

PostSubject: Re: A quick "Hi" to everybody!   A quick "Hi" to everybody! EmptyThu Mar 31, 2016 7:23 pm

Welcome to the forum mate cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A quick "Hi" to everybody!   A quick "Hi" to everybody! EmptyThu Mar 31, 2016 7:29 pm

Hello and welcome
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

Number of posts : 6951
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13897

PostSubject: Re: A quick "Hi" to everybody!   A quick "Hi" to everybody! EmptyThu Mar 31, 2016 7:40 pm

Welcome along to sunnyrhyl cheers
Loads of advice on here and most of it useful Very Happy

It's a tough time of year for fishing, very hit and miss as the winter species are moving out and the summer ones are heading in so patients is definitely a virtue for another few weeks fishing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A quick "Hi" to everybody!   A quick "Hi" to everybody! EmptyThu Mar 31, 2016 7:47 pm

head down to splash point at high tide and have  a chat to the anglers most of them are on this forum they will show you how to catch fish

Last edited by DOGGER on Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

PostSubject: Re: A quick "Hi" to everybody!   A quick "Hi" to everybody! EmptyThu Mar 31, 2016 7:49 pm

When are you fishing next Phil Question
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A quick "Hi" to everybody!   A quick "Hi" to everybody! EmptyThu Mar 31, 2016 7:53 pm

Logger wrote:
When are you fishing next Phil Question
when it warms up
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A quick "Hi" to everybody!   A quick "Hi" to everybody! EmptyThu Mar 31, 2016 7:54 pm

Cheers gents...

Hopefully I will be able to get down to Splash Point tomorrow evening and give it a try...

Regards,

Peter
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6107
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13660

PostSubject: Re: A quick "Hi" to everybody!   A quick "Hi" to everybody! EmptyThu Mar 31, 2016 8:07 pm

Welcome to our forum

We welcome blank reports ( makes some of us feel better!)

The local fishing should pick up soon!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A quick "Hi" to everybody!   A quick "Hi" to everybody! EmptyThu Mar 31, 2016 8:24 pm

Welcome to the forum Pete , hope to see you out there
Back to top Go down
headwyn
Sunnyrhyl Addict
Sunnyrhyl Addict
headwyn

Number of posts : 2016
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 8067

PostSubject: Re: A quick "Hi" to everybody!   A quick "Hi" to everybody! EmptyThu Mar 31, 2016 8:34 pm

Welcome in Pete.

Youve timed it right as the fishing should start picking up in the next few weeks. cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A quick "Hi" to everybody!   A quick "Hi" to everybody! EmptyThu Mar 31, 2016 9:23 pm

Can anybody suggest a couple of basic rigs to start with?

I was thinking of a simple 2 hook flapper? And maybe a running ledger?
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

PostSubject: Re: A quick "Hi" to everybody!   A quick "Hi" to everybody! EmptyThu Mar 31, 2016 9:44 pm

Nothing much wrong with them Very Happy
I'd suggest keeping your hooks small aswell for the moment fishing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A quick "Hi" to everybody!   A quick "Hi" to everybody! EmptyThu Mar 31, 2016 9:47 pm

Two hook flapper will do most of your general fishing mate
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A quick "Hi" to everybody!   A quick "Hi" to everybody! EmptyFri Apr 01, 2016 7:59 pm

brave man if you fished splash tonight in this weather
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A quick "Hi" to everybody!   A quick "Hi" to everybody! EmptyFri Apr 01, 2016 8:08 pm

DOGGER wrote:

I believe it wasn't good!

Going to try tomorrow, weather permitting! Hoping to fish just before and just after low tide...

Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

PostSubject: Re: A quick "Hi" to everybody!   A quick "Hi" to everybody! EmptyFri Apr 01, 2016 8:30 pm

It was looking like it was going to be very fishable when we walked the beach at 6pm, you've had a result
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A quick "Hi" to everybody!   A quick "Hi" to everybody! EmptyFri Apr 01, 2016 8:35 pm

Pete E wrote:
DOGGER wrote:

Going to try tomorrow, weather permitting! Hoping to fish just before and just after low tide...

get some advice on fishing low at splash the tide can be tricky
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

PostSubject: Re: A quick "Hi" to everybody!   A quick "Hi" to everybody! EmptyFri Apr 01, 2016 10:37 pm

DOGGER wrote:
Pete E wrote:
DOGGER wrote:

get some advice on fishing low at splash the tide can be tricky

As with much of Rhyl beach watch the gulley (s) behind you

Some fill from both ends at once, I find it best to wear waders but you can get away with wellies at Splash over Low if you pick your spot and don't overstay

By 90 minutes after Low you'll be well on the retreat on a typical tide.
Leaving the bait out there and paying out line as you move back often works for me.

If fishing east of Splash the escape route tends to be head towards the Sky Tower to get ahead of the water moving along the gulley.

Get a look at the beach on a biggish low and you'll see that a little West of Splash it's a bit rocky and likely to grab your tackle, between the Marina apartments and the Sun Centre the beach returns to " clean" sand

In front of the Sun Centre / lifeboat station and to the West there are tricky gulleys  that can catch you out, often it's a gulley further back that fills faster than the one immediately behind you, not recommended at night until you are familiar with it and even then the beach changes with tide and storm.

Looking back from the waters edge the gulleys can be difficult to spot and wet sand and water look much the same at night

A good headlight is a must. Get used to it in daylight first.

Here and there are patches of sandy mud that are best kept off.

I reckon fresh lug takes some beating all along this beach.

Have fun! I won't be out there this weekend but say Hi if you see me.

Paul
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A quick "Hi" to everybody!   A quick "Hi" to everybody! EmptyFri Apr 01, 2016 10:54 pm

Thanks Paul, that's much appreciated..

Don't have waders as yet, so will be extra cautious. Hopefully any trip report will be on here and not tomorrows BBC Wales News! Very Happy

Regards,

Peter

Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

PostSubject: Re: A quick "Hi" to everybody!   A quick "Hi" to everybody! EmptyFri Apr 01, 2016 11:04 pm

Good luck Cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A quick "Hi" to everybody!   A quick "Hi" to everybody! EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 7:46 am

if the tide does get round the back of you dont feck about just head straight up the beach better getting wet legs than being on the news
Back to top Go down
squidward
Tope Hunter
squidward

Number of posts : 1096
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7224

PostSubject: Re: A quick "Hi" to everybody!   A quick "Hi" to everybody! EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 10:20 am

If you live near Connahs Quay, we`ve got a match there on Saturday April 16th 7 till 11 p.m.
If you can find the time to have a walk along the venue any time during the match you`ll find us ready to have a chat and show you how we fish. We`ll be on the grass bank beyond the end of Dock Rd.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A quick "Hi" to everybody!   A quick "Hi" to everybody! EmptySun Apr 03, 2016 1:32 pm

We went out yesterday, but it was Talacre not Splash Point; not sure how I got mixed up, but no big deal..

One of the members of the forum kindly offered to show me the ropes and after meeting up at Ewloe, we arrived at Talacre about 11:15am and fished a couple of hours either side of the low..

It was a blank for me but, my mentor managed a couple which kept the interest up.

Despite blanking it was a very enjoyable and educational session and left me wanting to get out again..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A quick "Hi" to everybody!   A quick "Hi" to everybody! Empty

Back to top Go down

A quick "Hi" to everybody!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next