HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New to forum

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

New to forum Empty
PostSubject: New to forum   New to forum EmptySun Feb 14, 2016 3:19 pm

Hi
I have just moved to Rhyl and will be trying my hand at shore fishing for the first time. My old barbel/chub tactics on the Kennet and Loddon methinks will probably be not much good, unless dabs and whiting like cubes of luncheon meat?
I was talking to a guy at Splash Point this morning who runs this forum and was very helpful, and put me onto this forum.
Any helpful advice about what swimfeeders and boilies to use would be much appreciated! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

New to forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to forum   New to forum EmptySun Feb 14, 2016 4:34 pm

Welcome to the forum mate,lots of help from friendly people on here,it's that time of year when things are slowing up so don't get too disheartened if you plan on fishing soon
Back to top Go down

New to forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to forum   New to forum EmptySun Feb 14, 2016 4:46 pm

Welcome kork I second lonerangers comments good bunch on forum very helpful and willing to pass on knowledge which is most welcome to newbies like me as l live in smokey Stoke so it's a fair way to travel but a bit of local info is invaluable
Back to top Go down

New to forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to forum   New to forum EmptySun Feb 14, 2016 5:26 pm

Many thanks for the replies and advice regarding things slow up at this time of year, fret ye not, i'm well used to blanks! I must have missed the episode when Attenborough covered where the fish go on Blue Planet.
My guess is Spain, but I welcome suggestions............ Smile
Blimey Smokey your keen going that far, think I would just get a packet of fishfingers from ASDA!
Back to top Go down

New to forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to forum   New to forum EmptySun Feb 14, 2016 5:41 pm

Gone one better than that landlady at local got fed up with me going on about fishing went to macro and presented me with pack of vacuum packed bass in front of entire pub humble pie me thinks
Back to top Go down
stevo
Swordfish Hunter
stevo

Number of posts : 3613
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 9936

New to forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to forum   New to forum EmptySun Feb 14, 2016 6:32 pm

Welcome to the forum mate like longranger says
The fishing is slow at the moment so bear with it. Very Happy

If you need to know anything just ask someone will
Get back to you cheers
Back to top Go down

New to forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to forum   New to forum EmptySun Feb 14, 2016 7:23 pm

Welcome to the forum
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

Number of posts : 6951
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13902

New to forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to forum   New to forum EmptySun Feb 14, 2016 8:26 pm

Welcome along cheers
Sounds like you were talking to Paul aka Notbad cheers
Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Marlin Hunter
Kirky's Dad

Number of posts : 2866
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7867

New to forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to forum   New to forum EmptySun Feb 14, 2016 11:17 pm

Welcome to the forum good bud you will find lots of help on here. They will probably have you standing on a beach this weekend with a rod in your hand if they get half a chance. Watch out for Logger he will kidnap you and force you onto a boat on the Mersey with Stevo and make you watch as they catch all the big fish. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

New to forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to forum   New to forum EmptyMon Feb 15, 2016 1:21 pm

Hi guys
Thankyou all for the replies and welcome. Will keep an eye out for Mr Logger, but if I am 'kidnapped' onto the Mersey I can guarantee I will clear the area of shopping trolleys!
I will start off fishing from Splash Point, it's close to home and there is some free parking. Is it a case of casting out as far as you can, or do the fish lay at a certain point from the surf? I also got the river Clwyd nearby, is that good for fishing, and is any free or club controlled, is it same species as in the sea and easier or harder? Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6108
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13666

New to forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to forum   New to forum EmptyMon Feb 15, 2016 4:42 pm

Logger wrote:
Welcome along cheers
Sounds like you were talking to Paul aka Notbad cheers

Not me but well done whoever it was!

Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

New to forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to forum   New to forum EmptyMon Feb 15, 2016 5:00 pm

Kork wrote:
Hi guys
Thankyou all for the replies and welcome. Will keep an eye out for Mr Logger, but if I am 'kidnapped' onto the Mersey I can guarantee I will clear the area of shopping trolleys!
I will start off fishing from Splash Point, it's close to home and there is some free parking. Is it a case of casting out as far as you can, or do the fish lay at a certain point from the surf? I also got the river Clwyd nearby, is that good for fishing, and is any free or club controlled, is it same species as in the sea and easier or harder? Cheers.

The general man thing at Splash over High Tide is to whack it out and try to reach the gulley beyond the green triangle ( 100 yards plus) but a 30 to 40 yard lob with a carp rod will still find a dab if they are in town.

If you are trying Low I reckon the best time is the first 90 minutes of the flood, I'd say Lug worm beats any bait off the beach hereabouts, you might want to try crab near the blue bridge though.

As with any sea venue it's worth taking a look at Low tide to see what you are casting into, you get to see more on a "big" low tide.

Sea fishing for Flatties just upstream of the blue bridge you won't be troubled, move further upstream or if game or coarse fishing and officialdom takes over, Foxons tackle shop in St Asaph might be the place to ask about that.

Finally, if scaling up to sea fishing weights, I suggest you go for 15lb main line and a shockleader of 10lb breaking strain for every ounce of lead weight - so say 60lb

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

Paul

Back to top Go down

New to forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to forum   New to forum EmptyMon Feb 15, 2016 7:38 pm

Just a quickie,if you're fishing low on most of the beaches just be aware of the gullies filling up behind you,you can't always see them from the low water mark,and these gullies will change position and depth on each tide,good luck and keep safe
Back to top Go down

New to forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to forum   New to forum EmptyMon Feb 15, 2016 9:17 pm

Hi guys
Sounds like some sound advice, many thanks. Couple of things for now, hooking lugworm, do you thread them up the line, or just hook through the body, or will they fly off when casting? Other thing, this green triangle one speaks of! Is that a sign on a pole in the sea or some sort of area? Yes I am a proper wet behind the ears novice lol! Will keep watch behind me on low tides or I will be proper wet behind the ears. Oh one more thing for now, is there size limits to take for the pot (optimism Very Happy ), or is that only applied to commercial fishing?
Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
stevo
Swordfish Hunter
stevo

New to forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to forum   New to forum EmptyMon Feb 15, 2016 10:21 pm

Size limits hope this helps  bye

2016 Minimum Size Limits for Shore Caught Fish

Species Minimum Length

cm/inches Notes

Bass 42/16½ Bass are catch and release only from January – June 2016 and a one bass per angler per day limit applies from July to
December 2016.

Black Bream 23/9½  

Brill 35/14  

Bull Huss 58/23  

Coalfish 35/14  

Cod 35/14  

Conger Eel 91/36 Usually released by anglers due to breeding patterns.

Dab 20/8  

Dogfish 38/15  

Flounder 27/10  

Garfish 38/15  

Gurnard (Tub) 28/11  

Haddock 30/12  

Hake 30/12  

Ling 63/25  

Mackerel 30/12  

Megrim 25/10  

Mullet 33/13 Applies to thin lipped grey, thick lipped grey and golden grey.

Mullet (Red) 20/8  

Plaice 28/11  

Pollock 35/14  

Poor Cod 18/7½  

Pouting 18/7½  

Ray 41/16 Almost all ray species are classed as Vulberable or Near Threatened by the IUCN. Recommended that anglers catch and release ray species.

Rockling 18/7½  

Scad 25/10  

Silver Eel 38/15 Classed as Critically Endangered by the IUCN. Recommended that all silver eels caught are released, regardless of size.

Skate 41/16 Classed as Critically Endangered by the IUCN. Recommended that all silver eels caught are released, regardless of size.

Sole 25/10  

Smoothound 51/20  

Spurdog 58/23 Numbers massively reduced in UK waters. Classed as Vulnerale by the IUCN. Recommended that all spurdog are released.

Turbot 41/16  

Whiting 27/11  

Wrasse 23/9  

Unclassified 20/8 All other fish and mini-species that are not listed
Other Species  The following species have a minimum weight rather than length when caught from the shore:

Halibut– 10kg/22lb.

Monkfish – 7kg/15lb.

All large shark species – 18kg/40lb.

Tope – 9kg/20lb
Back to top Go down

New to forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to forum   New to forum EmptyTue Feb 16, 2016 2:06 pm

Thanks Stevo, most useful, will print off and get laminated and carry with me.
Seen an old photo on here with you and a 12lb common, do you coarse fish local to Manchester. I was asking because less than a minutes drive from home is Brickfields pond, which has carp and a few other usual species, just wondered if you've ever fished it? Or anybody else for that matter. I know its a club water which I plan to join when new season starts, but will try beach first as something new for me to give a go.
Back to top Go down
stevo
Swordfish Hunter
stevo

New to forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to forum   New to forum EmptyTue Feb 16, 2016 6:42 pm

I do a little coarse fishing I prefer spinning for pike and perch on the canal
when i'm not sea fishing. Very Happy

I never fished that pond I think joker has though mate
so he might be your best bet. fishing
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

New to forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to forum   New to forum EmptyTue Feb 16, 2016 7:34 pm

Kork wrote:
Hi guys
Sounds like some sound advice, many thanks. Couple of things for now, hooking lugworm, do you thread them up the line, or just hook through the body, or will they fly off when casting? Other thing, this green triangle one speaks of! Is that a sign on a pole in the sea or some sort of area? Yes I am a proper wet behind the ears novice lol! Will keep watch behind me on low tides or I will be proper wet behind the ears. Oh one more thing for now, is there size limits to take for the pot (optimism  Very Happy ), or is that only applied to commercial fishing?
Thanks in advance.

The green triangle is the one on the pole at the end of the Groyne at Splashpoint.

Thread lug worm up the hook mouth end first, pushing the mouth over the hook eye will help hold it on,  leave a bit hanging down but last inch or two of the tail bit is full of sand and will quite probably break off as you cast.

Stevo has replied on size limits.

Not getting out much myself at the moment but hope to see you out there

Do watch those gulleys, SplashPoint  point end is safer especially East of Splash ( ie the Prestatyn side) than further West  and you can usually get off the flooding banks in front of Splashpoint by walking East ( pointing towards the Sky Tower )

Feel free to ask away, we were all newbies once!
Back to top Go down
headwyn
Sunnyrhyl Addict
Sunnyrhyl Addict
headwyn

Number of posts : 2016
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 8072

New to forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to forum   New to forum EmptyTue Feb 16, 2016 8:14 pm

Heres a link to the Bricky club page.

http://www.brickfieldanglingclub.moonfruit.com/

If your on Facebook, heres a link to the page for the new Rhyl Cut coarsefishing lakes which is being stocked and is located behind the adventure playground on the rez.

https://www.facebook.com/Rhyl-Cut-Coarse-Fishing-Lakes-1593074820944189/

There are a few other ponds locally but most are fenced off etc. There is Greenfield Valley in Greenfield and a pond in Trefnant that you can get day tickets for. Have a play on google.
Back to top Go down

New to forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to forum   New to forum EmptyTue Feb 16, 2016 8:38 pm

Thanks guys, I know this is basics for you, but appreciate the guidance. I had found the Brickfields site but not the others. I'm getting spoiled for choice between sea, coarse and game fishing. Now wheres that barbel river .....lol
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

Number of posts : 6951
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13902

New to forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to forum   New to forum EmptyThu Feb 18, 2016 9:38 am

Kirky's Dad wrote:
Watch out for Logger he will kidnap you and force you onto a boat on the Mersey with Stevo and make you watch as they catch all the big fish. Very Happy

Big fish Question
Thats Just Stevo im afraid Suspect
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New to forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to forum   New to forum Empty

Back to top Go down

New to forum
Page 1 of 1