sunnyrhyl.forumotion.com

Stay Alert, Stay Safe!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

spinning a tale - weaver city at splash point

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

spinning a tale - weaver city at splash point Empty
PostSubject: spinning a tale - weaver city at splash point   spinning a tale - weaver city at splash point EmptyTue Jul 21, 2015 6:01 pm

After the bowls centre escapade (bowled over at north wales bowls centre) i had repaired the rod eye, stripped cleaned and respooled tge multipliers and collected a few more lug so it was time to hit the beach again. with the Ffrith not producing much, i decided on a change on venue so headed off to splash point with the youngest in tow to see if the calmer winds had brought the flatties in close, as has often been the case in the past. arriving an hour before high water the winds winds were off my back so my sons rod with single paternoster was cast approx 80yrds with lug being the bait of choice. my rods were fished with 2hook clipped down paternosters with some old manky lug i had left over from a previous session, saving the best for my son in the hope of him getting a better chance of a bite. my rods were fished at the 100yrd mark into open water, my sons being close to the groyne. the wind swung direction coming in from kimnel bay direction and gradually gained strength increasing the swell as the afternoon went on.
unfortunatley the flatties (or anything else!) failed to show but i managed 5 good sized weavers to save a blank on the most disgusting lug ever to grace a hook - little more than tarry lug skins really! My son got into the action with a weaver on fresh lug too. i snapped off on a cast (teach me not to fully bed in the line after respooling!!) and when the tide receded i managed to recover it all intact - complete with another weaver attached, still alive and kicking and buried in the sand. still, saved a blank and i got the chance to show my son what a weaverfish was and why not to touch them or wade barefoot in the sea. the sands off splashpoint seemed paved with them.
odd that manky 3day old lug outfished worms pumped out of the sand that morning, but there you go. no matter what range i cast to, i got a weaver! We headed home about 2 1/2hrs past high water when the water receded quickly and the weed built up so from weavers to knitting balks of weed, it was time for home. the boy was buzzing at his lil weaver and wants to get out again - another load of lug was pumped this morning hopefully for use tomorrow, gotta find the bass somewhere!
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6106
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13656

PostSubject: Re: spinning a tale - weaver city at splash point   spinning a tale - weaver city at splash point EmptyTue Jul 21, 2015 7:08 pm

His day made by a Weever, bless him!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: spinning a tale - weaver city at splash point   spinning a tale - weaver city at splash point EmptyTue Jul 21, 2015 8:10 pm

Well it beats his previous PB of a velvet swimming crab! Lol! Gotta start somewhere!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: spinning a tale - weaver city at splash point   spinning a tale - weaver city at splash point EmptyTue Jul 21, 2015 8:24 pm

Great report mate and well done to the youngun,not a bad fish to start on when you think about it I remember being told about the weever and didn't catch one for years in which time I was dubious about touching pin whiting,slugs and scorpion and small pollock before asking what they were
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

Number of posts : 6951
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13894

PostSubject: Re: spinning a tale - weaver city at splash point   spinning a tale - weaver city at splash point EmptyTue Jul 21, 2015 8:58 pm

Great read thanks Very Happy
Well done both of you cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: spinning a tale - weaver city at splash point   spinning a tale - weaver city at splash point EmptyTue Jul 21, 2015 9:09 pm

Same here pal. i grew up on the south east coast and fished all along from eastbourne marina to bexhill, hastings harbour arm and pier to dungeoness and camber sands - all recognised weaver spots, yet those weavers were the first ive ever caught. i was lucky that i recognised what it was as i swung it to hand, i first thought it may be a small pin whiting or something until it was on the inswing towards my outstretched hand, then i twigged and allowed ot to swing on by before using foreceps to unhook and return the little prickily neuro-toxin inpregnated blighters!
Back to top Go down
stevo
Swordfish Hunter
stevo

Number of posts : 3613
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 9928

PostSubject: Re: spinning a tale - weaver city at splash point   spinning a tale - weaver city at splash point EmptyTue Jul 21, 2015 9:36 pm

I'd be happy with a weever at the moment tongue tongue

Thanks for the report and well done both of you cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
headwyn
Sunnyrhyl Addict
Sunnyrhyl Addict
headwyn

Number of posts : 2016
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 8064

PostSubject: Re: spinning a tale - weaver city at splash point   spinning a tale - weaver city at splash point EmptyTue Jul 21, 2015 11:38 pm

Well done on the fish, and not getting spiked.

Pretty little things though arent they? Would look nice in a tank scratch
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: spinning a tale - weaver city at splash point   spinning a tale - weaver city at splash point EmptyWed Jul 22, 2015 8:01 am

well done on the day out with your lad bet he was made up with the weaver fish fish fishing bye
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: spinning a tale - weaver city at splash point   spinning a tale - weaver city at splash point EmptyWed Jul 22, 2015 9:10 am

Yeah i think they would go nice in a tank. be fun cleaning them out when buried in the sand though!! My lad was happy and cant wait to go again now. although he wants to catch something for tea now! I need to sirt him out with a sandspike or an old tripod next as he's using garden canes cabletied together as a rod rest at the monent. looks dodgy and isnt great in high winds but it does the job ok for the moment.
Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Marlin Hunter
Kirky's Dad

Number of posts : 2865
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7858

PostSubject: Re: spinning a tale - weaver city at splash point   spinning a tale - weaver city at splash point EmptyWed Jul 22, 2015 9:12 am

Well done nice report and success after last time, it took me a days rest to get over your last report.SleepVery Happy:http://www.pic
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: spinning a tale - weaver city at splash point   spinning a tale - weaver city at splash point EmptyFri Jul 24, 2015 10:37 pm

It took me a days rest to get over the last session!! Once i get an old tripod for the lad, we'll be hitting the beach most days over the summer holidays. Im gonna have arms like tyson pumping lug every low tide!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: spinning a tale - weaver city at splash point   spinning a tale - weaver city at splash point Empty

Back to top Go down

spinning a tale - weaver city at splash point
Page 1 of 1