9 posters
AuthorMessage
tatch
Tope Hunter
tatch

Number of posts : 1024
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6058

HHB Thursday 23rd April Empty
PostSubject: HHB Thursday 23rd April   HHB Thursday 23rd April EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 5:07 pm

Andrew myself had a trip down to Holyhead on Thursday a first for us took a heavy rod apiece to have a try for a conger on the outside hadn't been there long when the heavy rod was yanked violently & the tripod was against the wall affraid I grabbed the rod & started to wind it maybe moved a yard & that was it stuck solid I tried letting line out & leaving it a while that didn't work so I had to pull for a break Rolling Eyes .After that I had no more bites that side but lost loads of rigs & weights it ain't half snaggy Andrew came up from below & had a chuck over bait must just have touched the bottom & he had an eel on it appeared on the top a fair way out about eight to ten pound at a guess he began to crank it up then the snood went Crying or Very sad Mad after this all we had was doggies & pin whitings enjoyed the day all the same & the weather was glorious didn't photograph the dogs & pins so just a couple of other pics HHB Thursday 23rd April WP_20150409_018_zpsfqvno02x
HHB Thursday 23rd April WP_20150423_006_zpsyr75vjfu
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HHB Thursday 23rd April   HHB Thursday 23rd April EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 5:35 pm

nice report and pics tatch well done Very Happy fish fish fishing
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6108
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13668

PostSubject: Re: HHB Thursday 23rd April   HHB Thursday 23rd April EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 5:58 pm

Only the brave fish the outside!
Allegedly some stand on the wall to cast, personally I barely dare to look over it! Tried fishing it with a balloon for a float once but didn't have the excitement you had!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HHB Thursday 23rd April   HHB Thursday 23rd April EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 6:18 pm

Great report and pics mate,unlucky on them eels its a tackle grave yard on the outside Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

Number of posts : 6951
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13904

PostSubject: Re: HHB Thursday 23rd April   HHB Thursday 23rd April EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 6:54 pm

Hard luck mate great pics though Cool
Back to top Go down
headwyn
Sunnyrhyl Addict
Sunnyrhyl Addict
headwyn

Number of posts : 2016
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 8074

PostSubject: Re: HHB Thursday 23rd April   HHB Thursday 23rd April EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 7:00 pm

Good effort.

Some decent Conger off there but if fishing for other species, you need a very good cast to get over the rough stuff and onto the sand. The trick is to stand on the wall to reel in and keep the rod as high as possible and wind like hell!

A good drop net is a good idea as ive seen plenty of decent fish come off or rigs break when handlining up the outside wall.

A good head for heights helps! I remember Mike being a bit twitchy as i was doing this.

HHB Thursday 23rd April 19062009439-480x360_zpsne4nsi5z

Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Marlin Hunter
Kirky's Dad

Number of posts : 2866
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7869

PostSubject: Re: HHB Thursday 23rd April   HHB Thursday 23rd April EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 7:21 pm

Good report well done.fishing:http://www.for:http://www.for
Back to top Go down
tatch
Tope Hunter
tatch

Number of posts : 1024
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6058

PostSubject: Re: HHB Thursday 23rd April   HHB Thursday 23rd April EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 7:28 pm

headwyn wrote:
Good effort.

Some decent Conger off there but if fishing for other species, you need a very good cast to get over the rough stuff and onto the sand. The trick is to stand on the wall to reel in and keep the rod as high as possible and wind like hell!

A good drop net is a good idea as ive seen plenty of decent fish come off or rigs break when handlining up the outside wall.

A good head for heights helps! I remember Mike being a bit twitchy as i was doing this.

HHB Thursday 23rd April 19062009439-480x360_zpsne4nsi5z

I forgot the drop net this time Rolling Eyes but wont next time never thought to stand on the wall will remember that for next time too thanks for the info much appreciated
Back to top Go down
stevo
Swordfish Hunter
stevo

Number of posts : 3613
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 9938

PostSubject: Re: HHB Thursday 23rd April   HHB Thursday 23rd April EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 8:08 pm

Hard luck on the conger's mate Sad but a few fish caught so not to bad well done Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HHB Thursday 23rd April   HHB Thursday 23rd April EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 8:10 pm

Hard Luck owddd better luck next time
Back to top Go down
headwyn
Sunnyrhyl Addict
Sunnyrhyl Addict
headwyn

Number of posts : 2016
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 8074

PostSubject: Re: HHB Thursday 23rd April   HHB Thursday 23rd April EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 8:20 pm

Seat box placed next to the wall acts as a handy step Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HHB Thursday 23rd April   HHB Thursday 23rd April EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 9:47 pm

Great report and pics mate fishing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HHB Thursday 23rd April   HHB Thursday 23rd April EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 10:09 pm

Great pics and a few fish well done mate
Back to top Go down
Rhod Lloyd
Fishing Addict
Rhod Lloyd

Number of posts : 617
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6485

PostSubject: Re: HHB Thursday 23rd April   HHB Thursday 23rd April EmptyTue May 02, 2023 2:12 am

Great report Tatch it is those lost ones that keep you going back. Never fished the place but it keeps cropping up on this forum, do people use sacrificial sinkers, old spark plugs or nuts from nuts & bolts, you can vary the length of the lighter line to keep the bait off the foul, no more polluting than leaving lead down there.
The trouble with those places is that every break off leaves another potential snag. I used to fish off a beach near here in to a channel, I was there at low tide and got snagged, my mate waded to the channel edge and pulled my line in which had snagged on 2 broken off lines.
Next time we took a dinghy and rowed out with a home made grapnel. What had caused the problems was a lost long line on the edge of the channel, we filled a fish bin with old line and sticks and 50 sinkers of all types including 15 sand grip ones. We only retrieved one end of the long line as the current was making it a bit dodgy, but at least we cleared the popular end of the bay.
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

Number of posts : 1717
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 4986

PostSubject: Re: HHB Thursday 23rd April   HHB Thursday 23rd April EmptyWed May 03, 2023 5:30 pm

Nice going Tatch.Have you thought of using a 150lb leader and a rotten bottom?
Back to top Go down
Blade7
Giant Squid Hunter

Number of posts : 239
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 2958

PostSubject: Re: HHB Thursday 23rd April   HHB Thursday 23rd April EmptySun May 07, 2023 8:53 am

tatch wrote:
Andrew myself had a trip down to Holyhead on Thursday a first for us took a heavy rod apiece to have a try for a conger on the outside hadn't been there long when the heavy rod was yanked violently & the tripod was against the wall  affraid  I grabbed the rod & started to wind it maybe moved a yard & that was it stuck solid I tried letting line out & leaving it a while that didn't work so I had to pull for a break  Rolling Eyes  .After that I had no more bites that side but lost loads of rigs & weights it ain't half snaggy Andrew came up from below & had a chuck over bait must just have touched the bottom & he had an eel on it appeared on the top a fair way out about eight to ten pound at a guess he began to crank it up then the snood went Crying or Very sad Mad after this all we had was doggies & pin whitings enjoyed the day all the same & the weather was glorious didn't photograph the dogs & pins so just a couple of other pics HHB Thursday 23rd April WP_20150409_018_zpsfqvno02x
HHB Thursday 23rd April WP_20150423_006_zpsyr75vjfu
Great report sounded like an exciting day out fishing, the blue sea, you could be anywhere in the world.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HHB Thursday 23rd April   HHB Thursday 23rd April Empty

Back to top Go down

HHB Thursday 23rd April
Page 1 of 1