4 posters
AuthorMessage
Rhod Lloyd
Fishing Addict
Rhod Lloyd

Number of posts : 617
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6463

Bit of a mixed bag Empty
PostSubject: Bit of a mixed bag   Bit of a mixed bag EmptyFri Dec 29, 2023 4:08 am

Some info. for new members as to why I am a member and allowed to post on this site from New Zealand. Go to page 2 of international Fishing Reports and read the first of my posts, then all of them if you have the stamina.

I posted that access to Muriwai was closed after the 2nd February cyclone dumped about 8 inches of rain on the West coast here in a few hours that caused multiple slips, one of which hit a house where 2 Firemen were trying to stop water coming inside. The slip pushed the house down the hill killing one of them, the second was dug out of the mud but died in hospital a day later.
All access roads were closed residents only, with 24 hour security. One of 2 access roads were opened to visitors in June, so a week later Judy went for a walk on the beach while I investigated how closed the track to Flat rock was.

A NZ fur seal pup.

The access closed here and 2 steel mesh barriers up the track.

Bit of a mixed bag Img_6814

The only damage to the track was over the top, where part of the formed track had slipped down to the rock below.

Bit of a mixed bag Img_6810

As you can see we have been walking past the slip since June. another sign says the track is not negotiable, but that is because of all the barriers!!!
The mud that slid down to the rocks has been partly washed away and is now passable as long as you do not slip or look down

Bit of a mixed bag Img_6811

Bit of a mixed bag Img_6813

Bit of a mixed bag Img_6812

The last 2 photos are at Shelly beach, one of 3 Kahawai caught.
Back to top Go down
MusselMan
ADMIN
MusselMan

Number of posts : 1303
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7107

Bit of a mixed bag Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bit of a mixed bag   Bit of a mixed bag EmptyFri Dec 29, 2023 9:57 am

Thanks Rhod. That is a healthy looking Kahawai.

Couple of articles I have found on cyclone damage for anyone interested

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-64636198

https://thespinoff.co.nz/society/07-03-2023/in-karekare-muriwai-and-piha-the-roads-are-broken-and-people-are-at-breaking-point

Back to top Go down
Rhod Lloyd
Fishing Addict
Rhod Lloyd

Number of posts : 617
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6463

Bit of a mixed bag Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bit of a mixed bag   Bit of a mixed bag EmptyFri Dec 29, 2023 6:58 pm

Thanks for those Musselman, I had not seen those as I was concentrating more on Muriwai and their problems. Many of the recovery delays are tied up with our health and safety laws where the council is ultimately liable if it puts its own workers or contractors in dangerous situations, hence the months of geotechnic tests and reports.
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6098
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13630

Bit of a mixed bag Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bit of a mixed bag   Bit of a mixed bag EmptyFri Dec 29, 2023 9:17 pm

And very welcome your reports are too Rhod!

Always a great read!

Marlin Hunter
Kirky's Dad

Number of posts : 2861
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7842

Bit of a mixed bag Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bit of a mixed bag   Bit of a mixed bag EmptySat Dec 30, 2023 8:13 am

I love your reports Rhod very informative and full of pictures.🎣👍
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bit of a mixed bag Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bit of a mixed bag   Bit of a mixed bag Empty

Back to top Go down

Bit of a mixed bag
Page 1 of 1