3 posters
AuthorMessage
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6105
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13653

A Match In The Wind & Ice Fishing At The Pole Empty
PostSubject: A Match In The Wind & Ice Fishing At The Pole   A Match In The Wind & Ice Fishing At The Pole EmptyMon Dec 25, 2023 2:02 pm

Update on my entering open matches.

Haven't fished using a pole very much previously, I've found a rod and reel more fun and more in touch with the hooked fish really, but very few of the competitors in the matches I've fished bring a rod with them even as back up and the millimetre perfect precision achievable such as quietly lowering a bait in at the far side 14 metres away ( or  more) simply isn't possible with rod and reel.

Taking a trip to Angling Direct in Warrington I had a very helpful consultation, I'd called in on chance but you can book an appointment,  their showroom includes a "corridor" with a picture of a lake at one end, a fishing seatbox at the other and the opportunity to compare poles from a variety of manufacturers, lengths and prices from around £200 to around £5,000 upward.

That way you get to feel the difference in quality v price and what would be right for you and ask questions in a way you can't do on line. ( You might get the feeling you need new glasses to see the floats as well!)

I opted for a 1O metre Preston Innovations Edge Monster Pole, it is a well known brand, came with two "topkits" ( there is a whole new glossary if you are getting in to pole fishing!) and they fitted the elastics for me too!

I know 10 metres isn't going to reach the opposite margin 14 metres away but it came at a price that doesn't include buyer remorse if I break it getting used to using this one for now.

A Match In The Wind & Ice Fishing At The Pole 20231113

A Match In The Wind & Ice Fishing At The Pole Img-2322

Match delayed due to ice!

A Match In The Wind & Ice Fishing At The Pole 20231210

The match before Christmas saw some competitors expensive pole sections broken in the extremely windy conditions, so I'm glad I considered this risk in advance and fished short with my modest priced
pole.

Last week Storm Gerrit promised a repeat of the week before so I decided my best option was to use my feeder rod out to the far margin and didn't attempt to use the pole until the wind calmed for about 10 minutes late on.

No winning performances to report so far but learning curves, hopes and aspirations of being in pole position for next year!

ADMIN
Notbad

PostSubject: Re: A Match In The Wind & Ice Fishing At The Pole   A Match In The Wind & Ice Fishing At The Pole EmptyWed Jan 03, 2024 5:49 pm

Out again today for the first match of 2024,
...a bit wet, I just need a drought for the set nowA Match In The Wind & Ice Fishing At The Pole Dsc_0013

Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

Number of posts : 1713
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 4968

PostSubject: Re: A Match In The Wind & Ice Fishing At The Pole   A Match In The Wind & Ice Fishing At The Pole EmptyWed Jan 03, 2024 11:35 pm

I can see the point of a pole,but the shipping in and shipping out and the fact that you need so much space behind you puts me off.
I have a 15ft whip,which is the max I will go to.
I've fixed a bracket on my seat so I can harbour the whip just below my right hand.I can stand up without the weight of the whip pulling my seat over.
On occassions I fish canals and a pole is vulnerable to short sighted Mountain bikers.Crunch,and you need a new pole. lol!
Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Marlin Hunter
Kirky's Dad

Number of posts : 2864
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7855

PostSubject: Re: A Match In The Wind & Ice Fishing At The Pole   A Match In The Wind & Ice Fishing At The Pole EmptyThu Jan 04, 2024 9:10 am

Good on ya Paul. Poles are used a lot round here as it’s all fresh water never tried one myself but I think it’s all about getting your bait into the right’s place accurately into the area your feeding which obviously has an advantage when match fishing a bit hit and miss with rod and line. £200 + is a bit eye watering but no reel to buy so not to bad if you think about it. Good luck anyway Paul and a Happy New Year.🎣🥃
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

PostSubject: Re: A Match In The Wind & Ice Fishing At The Pole   A Match In The Wind & Ice Fishing At The Pole EmptyThu Jan 04, 2024 10:50 pm

Yes VB,
I'm shipping in and out can be a bit of a pain to master and as poles have got longer I can see that some commercial waters set up with what was once enough room for the pole and passers by to the rear are probably wishing they were future proofed for even longer poles in their layout.

Damage to poles / repair of pole sections (with "wraps" ) is not all uncommon,  something for buyers  of used poles to be aware of.

I've reading that some generic pole sections are available and interchangeable with other models of Daiwa pole sections ( not all ) made on the same UK mandrel.

And yes, KD no reel needed, though there are lots of other "must haves" apparently! Still a learning curve for me so the bargain basement is probably the best place to start.

PostSubject: Re: A Match In The Wind & Ice Fishing At The Pole   A Match In The Wind & Ice Fishing At The Pole Empty

Back to top Go down

A Match In The Wind & Ice Fishing At The Pole
Page 1 of 1