Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
rodbuilder
Dab Hunter

Number of posts : 34
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 690

Bait Pump Questions Empty
PostSubject: Bait Pump Questions   Bait Pump Questions EmptyTue Mar 28, 2023 9:20 pm

Hi,
How many guys on here 'pump' their own bait (black lug, blow etc)?.

As I live in Manchester, I don't get a lot of practice since purchasing a bait pump last year (KDR pump, well made, stainless steel machine).
I have 'pumped' at Pensarn, Penmaenmawr and Rhosneigr with lots of enthusiasm and not a lot of success -  watching you tube videos for the 'answer' is like watching pro golfers play golf (looks easy! - not).
I have had some success but identifying the worm casts is the hard part, a local angler on the beach at Pensarn told me a 'black' cast is a tight 'whirl' and put the pump 4" away at an angle and suck it out (his words) - he demonstrated his method and 6 pumps, 4 worms - I followed his advise and 6 pumps, 1 worm - any further instructions for a 73 year old still trying (or, where is the best bait shop?),
Rodbuilder Very Happy
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

Number of posts : 1713
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 4968

PostSubject: Re: Bait Pump Questions   Bait Pump Questions EmptyWed Mar 29, 2023 2:50 am

At 78 I prefer to buy them.There's knack to it that I've never mastered.
For black lug,the best time is at low tide after a very high tide.
The tide goes out further after a higher tide and the black lug are out at the waters edge.
Last time I bought some it was from the fishing and bait shop at Rhos on sea.
I bought some oiled and vacuum packed black lug online that last for ages a couple of years ago that I haven't tried yet.
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6105
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13653

PostSubject: Re: Bait Pump Questions   Bait Pump Questions EmptyWed Mar 29, 2023 8:39 am

I struggle too and resort to buying it!

I do know that the retaining nut should be slackened off when stored, to avoid pressure on the washer, wiring it ( or a cotter pin) prevents it getting lost in use.

Disassemble and rinse everything out after use.

Watered down ( 50/50?) Washing up liquid lubes the washer action in use.

If yours has rubber washers then some pumpers make their own from silicone using a section cut from an old pump tube as a mould.

Opinions on the angle of attack vary.

I'm told it is about knack not strength but I've never had the knack anyway!

On small tides you'd be lucky to find fresh lug for sale, I much prefer to have fresh.

Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

Number of posts : 1713
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 4968

PostSubject: Re: Bait Pump Questions   Bait Pump Questions EmptyWed Mar 29, 2023 10:06 am

I bought some Blow lug on my way to Fleetwood a few years ago,and he put them in a bucket with a drop of water in.
They lasted all day.
Back to top Go down
congerman1962
Tope Hunter

Number of posts : 1317
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6685

PostSubject: Re: Bait Pump Questions   Bait Pump Questions EmptyWed Mar 29, 2023 10:20 am

There are loads of videos on youtube best to watch them then decide which are helpful. My advice would be ask on the forum if any one is out fishing over low water and could you tag along. The beaches around our coast could have gulleys or soft sand (mud), I always carried a compass and a phone as the fog can come down without any warning, watered down washing up liquid to lubricate the pump a pair of rubber gloves as the iodine in the worms stains your hands, Over time you should get better pumping worms with experience there is no set way to pump worm the best way is the technique that suits your self, my best advise is just remember the reason your there is to enjoy yourself. So just pick a pack up from the local tackle shop and have a play with the pump while fishing low water .There used to be a member on the forum Tim (talkingbullhuss) a great angler and always there to help anyone he is still a member I think but not vey active lately posting. He was the best I saw at pumping blow lug even on the small tides he used to get plenty blow lugg for a days fishing
Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Marlin Hunter
Kirky's Dad

Number of posts : 2864
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7855

PostSubject: Re: Bait Pump Questions   Bait Pump Questions EmptyThu Mar 30, 2023 9:29 am

congerman1962 wrote:
There are loads of videos on youtube best to watch them then decide which are  helpful. My advice would be ask on the forum if any one is out fishing over low water and could you tag along. The beaches around our coast could have gulleys or soft sand (mud), I always carried a compass and a phone as the fog can come down without any warning, watered down washing up liquid to lubricate the pump a pair of rubber gloves as the iodine in the worms stains your hands, Over time you should get better pumping worms with experience there is no set way to pump worm the best way is the technique that suits your self, my best advise is just remember the reason your there is to enjoy yourself. So just pick a pack up from the local tackle  shop and have a play with the pump while fishing low water .There used to be a member on the forum Tim (talkingbullhuss) a great angler and always there to help anyone he is still a member I think but not vey active lately posting.  He was the best I saw at pumping blow lug even on the small tides he used to get plenty blow lugg for a days fishing

From what I’ve seen your not to bad yourself Congerman. Worm Worm Worm
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bait Pump Questions   Bait Pump Questions Empty

Back to top Go down

Bait Pump Questions
Page 1 of 1