5 posters
AuthorMessage
Rhod Lloyd
Fishing Addict
Rhod Lloyd

Number of posts : 617
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6464

More fish and wildlife Empty
PostSubject: More fish and wildlife   More fish and wildlife EmptySat Oct 15, 2022 8:54 am

The first photo sets the scene, 6 am on a still Sunday morning with the swell having dropped dramatically overnight, even more than predicted leaving a variable .5 to 1m.
It was only just an hour after low tide, so I was not expecting much action. I was the first in the FREE car park, so first on the rock, just how I like it, hence the moon setting photo.  

More fish and wildlife Img_6316

More fish and wildlife Img_6318

This is a NZ dotterel (plover family) they are typically a sandy shore bird, but this one was feeding on tiny shrimps in the green seaweed and was not concerned about us, up to 2 m away moving around. During the winter we had 3 male chaffinches doing the same.

More fish and wildlife Img_6317

3 NZ fur seals sleeping under the cliff

More fish and wildlife Img_6320

Heading back to the car, I came across this Little Blue Penguin which had been hiding under some steps, but disturbed by too many people It was heading up the road to the car park so I chivvied it into some long grass and was pecked on the knuckle for helping. They are the worlds smallest penguin, I think this a young last years chick being only 10 inches long, they are about 12 inches when mature. They are more common on the East coast than here.  

More fish and wildlife Img_6319

This taken at 11 am at least 100 surfers in the gentle conditions.

More fish and wildlife Img_6321

Proceeds from the trip, only the small ones up to 8 am then the rest in the next hour and a half when it went quiet. I put 2 more snapper and 1 gurnard back. I was the only serious fisherman there the other 5 being "Sunday Asians" mostly after small fish down the side of the rock.
I get a kick from predicting conditions from the night before using my extensive experience there, great when it works out.

https://www.surfline.com/surf-report/muriwai-beach/584204204e65fad6a7709674?camId=617b823666de3660a1ad6bd7

Try this URL during NZ daylight time, 13 hours ahead of you, you should get at the least a still photo from the surf camera plus surf and tides etc, live is by subscription.
On mornings with a moon I can get a good idea of the surf when I get up at 4-30, the white water shows up.

The next morning, too calm and only a kahawai, a gurnard and a small Bronze whaler shark.
Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Marlin Hunter
Kirky's Dad

Number of posts : 2861
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7843

PostSubject: Re: More fish and wildlife   More fish and wildlife EmptySat Oct 15, 2022 9:30 am

Thanks for that Rhod some great wild life pictures great report. beer fishing cth cth cth
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6098
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13631

PostSubject: Re: More fish and wildlife   More fish and wildlife EmptySat Oct 15, 2022 11:24 am

cute penguin Rhod!

Interesting surf data.

Tope Hunter

Number of posts : 1317
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6676

PostSubject: Re: More fish and wildlife   More fish and wildlife EmptySun Oct 16, 2022 10:39 am

Great pictures and an interesting report thanks for sharing
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

Number of posts : 1705
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 4947

PostSubject: Re: More fish and wildlife   More fish and wildlife EmptySun Oct 16, 2022 12:29 pm

Nice pics Rhod,I am going to try that surf report to check around north wales.Should be handy for checking the sea state before taking the boat out.
Nice fish,I'm envious lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: More fish and wildlife   More fish and wildlife Empty

Back to top Go down

More fish and wildlife
Page 1 of 1