5 posters
AuthorMessage
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

Number of posts : 1705
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 4951

Beach fishing with a cage feeder Empty
PostSubject: Beach fishing with a cage feeder   Beach fishing with a cage feeder EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 6:04 pm

I've had a theory for a while.
Using a cage feeder filled with chum (rubby dubby)
Sliding ledger rig.
It works boat fishing,primarily because of the scent trail.
The fish inshore when beach fishing will be no different.
Anyone tried it?
Back to top Go down
MusselMan
ADMIN
MusselMan

Number of posts : 1303
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7112

PostSubject: Re: Beach fishing with a cage feeder   Beach fishing with a cage feeder EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 6:30 pm

I am thinking of trying freezing some squid stuffed with cat food. Should work similar as it defrosts.

In part this is because I have found a load of cat food from a house I am slowly clearing.
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6098
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13635

PostSubject: Re: Beach fishing with a cage feeder   Beach fishing with a cage feeder EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 7:46 pm

There was a sinker on the market a bit back with a collar round it that you filled with bait bits.

I've tried your idea down the wall at Holyhead, the crabs played football with it! I think it is a good theory that makes use of spent bait and whatever else might be handy.

Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

PostSubject: Re: Beach fishing with a cage feeder   Beach fishing with a cage feeder EmptyFri Mar 25, 2022 1:47 am

I've made a couple of cage feeders out of 1/4" wire mesh.
One end open.
Logically,when fishing a beach,the catch is probably just cruising fish,and if they miss your bait,that's it until the next one.
With a scent trail,they will come and investigate.Cage feeders work well on rivers,so in a tide or current they will probably do the same.
I can see a big advantge on piers and jetties.
Back to top Go down
Rhod Lloyd
Fishing Addict
Rhod Lloyd

Number of posts : 617
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6468

PostSubject: Re: Beach fishing with a cage feeder   Beach fishing with a cage feeder EmptyMon Mar 28, 2022 5:50 am

I can see every crab for miles homing in on the bait trail, you may need to float the bait above the cage.
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

PostSubject: Re: Beach fishing with a cage feeder   Beach fishing with a cage feeder EmptyMon Mar 28, 2022 11:03 pm

Not a bad idea Rhod,I've heard of that system being used with just a sinker,and not a cage.
I purchased a pack of polystyrene balls a while back (10 and 15mm dia)  Could probably be incorporated into a rig.
Back to top Go down
Rhod Lloyd
Fishing Addict
Rhod Lloyd

Number of posts : 617
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6468

PostSubject: Re: Beach fishing with a cage feeder   Beach fishing with a cage feeder EmptyTue Mar 29, 2022 2:54 am

Seems the polystyrene balls does not put the fish off, another idea for ground baiting is the old film cannisters with holes in or nowadays a plastic pill bottle, at our age we have plenty of them!
The problem with bait cannisters is they do not fly very well, possibly best from a boat.
The old film cannisters with a plastic skirt have been used here for marlin lures, "kodak killers" someone even caught a marlin with one and a split banana skin as a skirt
Back to top Go down
MusselMan
ADMIN
MusselMan

Number of posts : 1303
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7112

PostSubject: Re: Beach fishing with a cage feeder   Beach fishing with a cage feeder EmptyMon Apr 04, 2022 8:16 am

Notbad wrote:
There was a sinker on the market a bit back with a collar round it that you filled with bait bits.

Something like this?

https://www.veals.co.uk/acatalog/TronixPro-Bait-Capsule-6996.html

I think the idea is you put your hook bait in the canister for better casting. Alternatively you could fill it with chum if you packed it in so it did not pop out straight away on hitting the water.
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

PostSubject: Re: Beach fishing with a cage feeder   Beach fishing with a cage feeder EmptyMon Apr 04, 2022 9:53 am

MusselMan wrote:
Notbad wrote:

Something like this?

I think the idea is you put your hook bait in the canister for better casting. Alternatively you could fill it with chum if you packed it in so it did not pop out straight away on hitting the water.

Ah yes, that is what I was thinking of and
marketed for use as you describe, an advantage in protecting soft hook baits I guess, I'd be tempted to take a drill to it.

ADMIN
Notbad

PostSubject: Re: Beach fishing with a cage feeder   Beach fishing with a cage feeder EmptyMon Apr 04, 2022 12:36 pm

just googled and found surf feeders

https://www.sharnbrooktackle.com/acatalog/Surf-Feeders--255.html

Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

PostSubject: Re: Beach fishing with a cage feeder   Beach fishing with a cage feeder EmptyTue Apr 05, 2022 2:56 am

I suppose really that the whole point is,to create a groundbait/chum trail.
Pva bags will not dissolve in salty water very quickly,but with the bait being wet initially,they do dissolve.if the ground bait is soaked in glycerene,the bags will also stay intact longer.
Maybe a Pva bag under a sea float?With a good mono tied slipknot on the mainline.
I've seen anglers in devon go out at low tide,and put bait/chum under rocks on the beach,then fish over them with the incoming tide.
I think we anglers are subjet to being lucky with a passing fish,or hitting a shoal.
When coarse fishing,still or river,groundbait is always used to attract the fish.
Perhaps ground baiting and chumming might improve our catch rates.
Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Marlin Hunter
Kirky's Dad

Number of posts : 2861
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7847

PostSubject: Re: Beach fishing with a cage feeder   Beach fishing with a cage feeder EmptyTue Apr 05, 2022 9:38 am

I think in theory the idea is great but the problem as I see it is getting the whole lot into the water in the same place from the shore most places we fish have quite shallow beaches and need quite a long cast. If you are casting straight into deep water maybe OK or from a boat were casting isn’t a problem then we’ll worth trying, as you have already said they have put attractors out under rocks at low tide and then fished over them. I think if it is going to work the the weight and the chum need to be incorporated so that they go out together and then stay together the bait and hook would have to be some way from the chum or the crabs would decimate the bait. I think if you could solve the problems you would be onto a good thing. fishing boat cth
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

PostSubject: Re: Beach fishing with a cage feeder   Beach fishing with a cage feeder EmptyTue Apr 05, 2022 11:07 am

Kirky's Dad wrote:
I think in theory the idea is great but the problem as I see it is getting the whole lot into the water in the same place from the shore most places we fish have quite shallow beaches and need quite a long cast. If you are casting straight into deep water maybe OK or from a boat were casting isn’t a problem then we’ll worth trying, as you have already said they have put attractors out under rocks at low tide and then fished over them. I think if it is going to work the the weight and the chum need to be incorporated so that they go out together and then stay together the bait and hook would have to be some way from the chum or the crabs would decimate the bait. I think if you could solve the problems you would be onto a good thing. fishing boat cth

I suppose we would need to choose the right situation and target species.
A long cast on a shallow beach might bring in the Flatties,
Where as,fishing a pier or dock with a float might be another angle.
The sea state would be another thing to consider.
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

PostSubject: Re: Beach fishing with a cage feeder   Beach fishing with a cage feeder EmptyTue Apr 05, 2022 11:23 am

Notbad wrote:
MusselMan wrote:
Notbad wrote:

Something like this?

Ah yes, that is what I was thinking of and
marketed for use as you describe, an advantage in protecting soft hook baits I  guess, I'd be tempted to take a drill to it.

I think if you drilled holes in it,you couldn't put the hook and bait in it.
I imagine a length of pvc pipe wih holes in would work,maybe clip it on with the weight.Easy to do,thread mono thro' the tube,and tie the ends together,then clip the
mono onto the weight clip.Maybe insert a small screw across one end of the pipe to stop the bait flying out on the cast.
Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Marlin Hunter
Kirky's Dad

Number of posts : 2861
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7847

PostSubject: Re: Beach fishing with a cage feeder   Beach fishing with a cage feeder EmptyWed Apr 06, 2022 9:18 am

The one that Notbad found seems to me to be well worth trying as long as you don’t have your bait sitting right on top of it. Still a bit of work to do to get things working right but if you could I think it should up your catch rate. fishing fish fish fish fish cth boat cth
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Beach fishing with a cage feeder   Beach fishing with a cage feeder Empty

Back to top Go down

Beach fishing with a cage feeder
Page 1 of 1