Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Blade7
Giant Squid Hunter

Number of posts : 239
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 2936

No Fishing for a few Weeks  Empty
PostSubject: No Fishing for a few Weeks    No Fishing for a few Weeks  EmptyTue Dec 21, 2021 4:12 pm

Our Boat Susie sprung a leak last Thursday I have done a temp repair which is keeping the water out, here is a couple of videos of our cruise dowm to Rhyl Harbour from Rhos for a lift out, she should look good when we bring her home in 4 to 6 weeks time.

Perfect condition today for being at sea.
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6098
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13630

PostSubject: Re: No Fishing for a few Weeks    No Fishing for a few Weeks  EmptyTue Dec 21, 2021 8:43 pm

Tina told me she'd seen a boat pulled out down the harbour today, guess that was yours then, also the bridge raised - for something else.  
I didn't get out of the house today, so particularly nice to watch something happening in the outside world!

Giant Squid Hunter

PostSubject: Re: No Fishing for a few Weeks    No Fishing for a few Weeks  EmptyTue Dec 21, 2021 8:48 pm

Notbad wrote:
Tina told me she'd seen a boat pulled out down the harbour today, guess that was yours then, also the bridge raised - for something else.  
I didn't get out of the house today, so particularly nice to watch something happening in the outside world!
Yep that would have been our boat, it was high tide so that had to raised the bridge for us to get into the inner harbour.
lol!
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

Number of posts : 1705
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 4946

PostSubject: Re: No Fishing for a few Weeks    No Fishing for a few Weeks  EmptyWed Dec 22, 2021 1:49 am

Nice vid,is the lift out machine the square box type with wheels?
Looks like you will be doing some grinding and welding.
Are you both welders?
Will you have to chock the boat up,or is it in a cradle?
Will you be using steel plate for your modifcations? (kitchen and sleeping)
Back to top Go down
Blade7
Giant Squid Hunter

PostSubject: Re: No Fishing for a few Weeks    No Fishing for a few Weeks  EmptyWed Dec 22, 2021 9:39 am

VALVEBOUNCE wrote:
Are you both welders?

Neither of us have every welded before, my brother has loan me his welding machine and gave me an overview of what to do, I will have a practise on some scrap metal first. The boat is chock up in the compound nice and safe. we keep having a discussion on the design of the inside no firm plan yet, plenty to get on with before we start the inside modifications. santa lol! and I will be doing some of this beer later today to focus the mind on the task ahead.
Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Marlin Hunter
Kirky's Dad

Number of posts : 2861
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7842

PostSubject: Re: No Fishing for a few Weeks    No Fishing for a few Weeks  EmptyWed Dec 22, 2021 9:39 am

Very good I enjoyed that. Do you just intend to just repair the leak or are you going to give it an overhaul and paint job? Will you do it yourselves or does someone else get involved?  boat 😷🤒🤕🤧
Back to top Go down
Blade7
Giant Squid Hunter

PostSubject: Re: No Fishing for a few Weeks    No Fishing for a few Weeks  EmptyWed Dec 22, 2021 10:11 am

Kirky's Dad wrote:
Very good I enjoyed that. Do you just intend to just repair the leak or are you going to give it an overhaul and paint job? Will you do it yourselves or does someone else get involved?  boat 😷🤒🤕🤧

Its going to be a major overhaul I have filled a A4 sheet of a list of jobs we intend to do, between the 2 of us we are hoping we will be able to do the work ourselfs if I can master the welding, taking it back to bare metal and put a good undercoat on with an orange top coat. santa rendeer
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

PostSubject: Re: No Fishing for a few Weeks    No Fishing for a few Weeks  EmptyWed Dec 22, 2021 10:47 am

Blade7 wrote:
VALVEBOUNCE wrote:
Are you both welders?

Neither of us have every welded before, my brother has loan me his welding machine and gave me an overview of what to do, I will have a practise on some scrap metal first. The boat is chock up in the compound nice and safe. we keep having a discussion on the design of the inside no firm plan yet, plenty to get on with before we start the inside modifications. santa lol! and I will be doing some of this beer later today to focus the mind on the task ahead.

Haha,every drop helps said Grannie when she urinated in the ocean beer beer
I use an auto dimming welding mask,they are much easier to use.
Safer too,less flashes.I paid about £20 for mine a couple of years ago.
The advantage is that you can see where to strike the arc through the mask visor,as soon as you strike up,the mask dims.The dimming is adjustable.It's handy to have a few spare batteries for the mask.
If it's a stick welder,it's a good idea to keep the welding rods warm and dry.(they absorb damp)
Back to top Go down
Blade7
Giant Squid Hunter

PostSubject: Re: No Fishing for a few Weeks    No Fishing for a few Weeks  EmptyWed Dec 22, 2021 12:01 pm

VALVEBOUNCE wrote:
Blade7 wrote:
VALVEBOUNCE wrote:
Are you both welders?

Haha,every drop helps said Grannie when she urinated in the ocean beer beer
I use an auto dimming welding mask,they are much easier to use.
Safer too,less flashes.I paid about £20 for mine a couple of years ago.
The advantage is that you can see where to strike the arc through the mask visor,as soon as you strike up,the mask dims.The dimming is adjustable.It's handy to have a few spare batteries for the mask.
If it's a stick welder,it's a good idea to keep the welding rods warm and dry.(they absorb damp)

Its not a stick welder it has a coil of wire that feeds through to a gun, I think the mask is the same as your talking about it does have a batt compartment and a couple of dials.
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

PostSubject: Re: No Fishing for a few Weeks    No Fishing for a few Weeks  EmptyThu Mar 03, 2022 12:07 pm

How are you doing with the boat Keith,any updates?
I worked as a boilermaker apprentice in Whyalla in south Australia as a kid in the early 60's.Cut,rolled and welded the anchor support plate for a tanker (PJ Adams) watched Mrs Menzies the prime ministers wife launch it.
Free booze and snacks,and all the machinery turned off for the day.
Pity I left,Whyalla is a big game fishing centre now.
Port Lincoln is 70mls down the road,they have a big Tuna farming fleet.
They made the old film 'Blue water,White death'at port Lincoln.
Back to top Go down
Blade7
Giant Squid Hunter

PostSubject: Re: No Fishing for a few Weeks    No Fishing for a few Weeks  EmptyThu Mar 03, 2022 1:17 pm

VALVEBOUNCE wrote:
How are you doing with the boat Keith,any updates?
I worked as a boilermaker apprentice in Whyalla in south Australia as a kid in the early 60's.Cut,rolled and welded the anchor support plate for a tanker (PJ Adams) watched Mrs Menzies the prime ministers wife launch it.
Free booze and snacks,and all the machinery turned off for the day.
Pity I left,Whyalla is a big game fishing centre now.
Port Lincoln is 70mls down the road,they have a big Tuna farming fleet.
They made the old film 'Blue water,White death'at port Lincoln.
It going a bit slow, but we hope to be back on the water by the end of March, with the storms we have had she has been in the best place, we done nothing for a couple of weeks we are going to get stuck in again next week all the new windows have arrived now a little more welding and then will will be ready to put the top coat on. Sounds heavy work welding on a tanker. no long now and we will be out catching those fish.
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

PostSubject: Re: No Fishing for a few Weeks    No Fishing for a few Weeks  EmptyFri Mar 04, 2022 2:35 am

Thanks for the update keith,I think the storms put the block on for a lot of people.
I use Kurust on the car,and vulnerable bits on my boat.
Might be an idea to use it around where your new windows are being fitted.
A couple of inches around the openings before you undercoat should slow the rust down.You can paint straight over it without preperation.
I make measurements from a centre line on the deck,it saves measuring from the curved sides.If you put squared lines from the centre lines it keeps what you are fitting square to the boat line.
Hope I'm not telling you how to suck eggs lol!
Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Marlin Hunter
Kirky's Dad

PostSubject: Re: No Fishing for a few Weeks    No Fishing for a few Weeks  EmptyWed Apr 06, 2022 9:34 am

Any nearer getting the boat finished and in the water Blade7 update would be nice. boat
Back to top Go down
Blade7
Giant Squid Hunter

PostSubject: Re: No Fishing for a few Weeks    No Fishing for a few Weeks  EmptyWed Apr 06, 2022 3:24 pm

Kirky's Dad wrote:
Any nearer getting the boat finished and in the water Blade7 update would be nice. boat
A good time to ask, yes in the final stages just a few small things left to do we did ask to get lifted in this Friday but there were no slots available, booked to be lifted in on Wednesday 13th April on the morning high tide going in around 09.15 to 09. 40hrs. Cruising down to Rhos on Sea Harbour I expect the locals have missed the orange boat in the harbour. We are going down to Rhos tomorrow morning on the low tide to check our mooring okay.

cheers
Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Marlin Hunter
Kirky's Dad

PostSubject: Re: No Fishing for a few Weeks    No Fishing for a few Weeks  EmptyThu Apr 07, 2022 9:01 am

That’s good news get use a few picture on the 13th if you get the chance just to see what she looks like in her new coat. boat
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

PostSubject: Re: No Fishing for a few Weeks    No Fishing for a few Weeks  EmptyThu Apr 07, 2022 2:11 pm

Hi Kieth,did you mange to fit your sleeping compartments.?
You did say you might be taking to the high seas in the future
lol!
With that engine I would go anywhere. lol!
You will probably want to check it,but Molyslip is a great oil additive.
I've used it in every vehicle I have owned since the 60's.
They also do a gearbox additive.
I've added it to all my outboard gearboxes.
It coats all the bearings in mobylendum,and the difference is noticable straight away.
It helps to extend the engine life,and also improves the fuel consumption.
Back to top Go down
Blade7
Giant Squid Hunter

PostSubject: Re: No Fishing for a few Weeks    No Fishing for a few Weeks  EmptySun Apr 10, 2022 4:08 pm

VALVEBOUNCE wrote:
Hi Kieth,did you mange to fit your sleeping compartments.?
You did say you might be taking to the high seas in the future
lol!
With that engine I would go anywhere. lol!
You will probably want to check it,but Molyslip is a great oil additive.
I've used it in every vehicle I have owned since the 60's.
They also do a gearbox additive.
I've added it to all my outboard gearboxes.
It coats all the bearings in mobylendum,and the difference is noticable straight away.
It helps to extend the engine life,and also improves the fuel consumption.

I looked up the molyslip looks good stuff I will buy some tomorrow as I am doing the oil and filter change on Tuesday, no we did not go for the sleeping compartments as we found the doing the overhaul on the boat hard going, looking to sale her and buy a smaller fireglass boat its a shame as it is a great sea boat just to heavy going for us doing the repairs and not being welders having to get someone in to do the welding. Looking forward to Wednesday getting back on the water, will continue to us e her until she is sold.
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

PostSubject: Re: No Fishing for a few Weeks    No Fishing for a few Weeks  EmptyMon Apr 11, 2022 11:19 am

It's a shame to have to sell her,but that's economics I suppose.
There are some full cabin type boats that would suit you and Paddy,(fibreglass)
I have a make in mind,but my memory is going. lol!
I'll do a bit of research and find out the name.
I've got too old to have one these days,but otherwise I would get one.
I have a broom speedboat converted for sea fishing,but it's an open boat.
Probably be my last boat.
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

PostSubject: Re: No Fishing for a few Weeks    No Fishing for a few Weeks  EmptyMon Apr 11, 2022 10:29 pm

VALVEBOUNCE wrote:
It's a shame to have to sell her,but that's economics I suppose.
There are some full cabin type boats that would suit you and Paddy,(fibreglass)
I have a make in mind,but my memory is going. lol!
I'll do a bit of research and find out the name.
I've got too old to have one these days,but otherwise I would get one.
I have a broom speedboat converted for sea fishing,but it's an open boat.
Probably be my last boat.

The boat I had in mind was a 'Shetland' There are different sizes,but the hulls a great shape.
Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Marlin Hunter
Kirky's Dad

PostSubject: Re: No Fishing for a few Weeks    No Fishing for a few Weeks  EmptySat Apr 30, 2022 9:28 am

How are things going on the boat front Blades7. Back in the water yet and welding holding up? boat
Back to top Go down
Blade7
Giant Squid Hunter

PostSubject: Re: No Fishing for a few Weeks    No Fishing for a few Weeks  EmptySun May 08, 2022 7:33 pm

Kirky's Dad wrote:
How are things going on the boat front Blades7. Back in the water yet and welding holding up? boat

Sorry for the delay in replying I have been on holiday in Spain and yes the boat is back on the water looking very good, water tight all the welding was completed. This is what she looks like now.
No Fishing for a few Weeks  Anmp0045
No Fishing for a few Weeks  Anmp0046
Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Marlin Hunter
Kirky's Dad

PostSubject: Re: No Fishing for a few Weeks    No Fishing for a few Weeks  EmptyMon May 09, 2022 10:05 am

That looks great looks like new well done. boat
Back to top Go down
Blade7
Giant Squid Hunter

PostSubject: Re: No Fishing for a few Weeks    No Fishing for a few Weeks  EmptyMon May 09, 2022 12:21 pm

Kirky's Dad wrote:
That looks great looks like new well done. boat

Thank you, when we went out 3 other vessel come by where we anchor up to say how good the boat looked makes it all worth while. lol!
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

Number of posts : 6951
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13882

PostSubject: Re: No Fishing for a few Weeks    No Fishing for a few Weeks  EmptyMon Jun 27, 2022 5:28 am

Looking good 👍
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No Fishing for a few Weeks    No Fishing for a few Weeks  Empty

Back to top Go down

No Fishing for a few Weeks
Page 1 of 1