Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6098
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13635

Kayak Fishing Empty
PostSubject: Kayak Fishing   Kayak Fishing EmptyWed Nov 10, 2021 6:36 pm

Kayak Fishing 20211029

can't possibly think where the inspiration came from but I was musing over a glass of red on the limitations and possibilities for launching my boat when an idea took shape...

With careful heed of weather, wind and tide a kayak would enable access to fishing some new locations around North Wales.

Kayak Fishing 20211033

Some research was called for!
Am I fit enough being one question?
For the last 18 months I've been exercising for an hour a week and my fitness has increased considerably so I reckon I'm now sufficiently " paddlefit".

Popping into Conwy Kayaks ( Mochdre) found us talking to Tom who it turned out uses his own kayak to fish locally
and patiently answered our many questions, a deal for two sit on top "Menai" kayaks was done!

Still a lot to learn about it but with remarkably mild weather today and a forecast windgust of only 2mph, Tina and I headed for Llanberis for our maiden launch.

Kayak Fishing Img-2144

Kayak Fishing Img-2146

Kayak Fishing Img-2150

There's a few more things needed yet and it might be a while before I'm ready to
take it out to sea with a rod but you'll be the first to know when it happens!

Kayak Fishing Img-2151

Fishing Addict
Rhod Lloyd

Number of posts : 617
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6468

Kayak Fishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kayak Fishing   Kayak Fishing EmptyThu Nov 11, 2021 4:39 am

I could point you to a number of kayak fishing sites in NZ. but it would be too depressing for you. They catch some serious fish, and have sat nav / fishfinders fitted, some with electric motors and plenty of rod holders. In the right conditions they will go way offshore.
There is a photo from NZ of a kayak fisherman paddling around some rocks and behind him a shark longer and wider than his kayak following him.
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Kayak Fishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kayak Fishing   Kayak Fishing EmptyThu Nov 11, 2021 9:18 am

Rhod Lloyd wrote:
I could point you to a number of kayak fishing sites in NZ. but it would be too depressing for you. They catch some serious fish, and have sat nav / fishfinders fitted, some with electric motors and plenty of rod holders. In the right conditions they will go way offshore.
There is a photo from NZ of a kayak fisherman paddling around some rocks and behind him a shark longer and wider than his kayak following him.

Yup Rhod, a fishfinder is on the list, probably more for depth than anything
- just a few feet out into Llyn Padarn yesterday I pushed the paddle down vertically to check the depth, being so low to the water it is harder to see in to it, I was expecting I was in about 3 feet of water but it was already way deeper.

I'm wondering about the electric motors too and you can also get outrigged stabilisers, I'd assumed I'd be needing a 3 or 4 foot kayak rod but reading up I learned that many recommend a rod long enough to reach the front of the kayak to deal with when a fish goes under the hull ( the kayak is about 9 feet long in total) - playng a big fish is one reason it is worth considering how many potential snagging points it is worth adding, it came with one swivel rod holder but there are 4 other rod holders built in.

I've upgraded my hand held VHF to a submersible one, there is an anchor "trolley system" waiting to be installed and a drogue, my signal flares have gone out of date and I've just added shark repellant to my shopping list!

Marlin Hunter
Kirky's Dad

Number of posts : 2861
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7847

Kayak Fishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kayak Fishing   Kayak Fishing EmptyThu Nov 11, 2021 3:43 pm

Has Tina’s got a back rest? I think you are both in for some fun. I think the main thing is to keep safe from what I have read and heard wind and current are the main hazards at sea. Don’t get to ambitious to start with it’s OK going out and getting to where you want to but getting back might be a bit harder. Look forward to the next update.
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Kayak Fishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kayak Fishing   Kayak Fishing EmptyThu Nov 11, 2021 5:15 pm

Kirky's Dad wrote:
Has Tina’s got a back rest? .

Yes, they are identical, the seats clip in to fixed D-rings with 4 brass sprung clips like those that attach a dog lead to a dogs collar,
we arrived by the lake fitted the seats and were ready to launch before the people we'd arranged to meet were ready, and they got there first - but their kayaks were inflatable - much easier to transport but I wouldn't fancy the inflating/deflating hassle and hooks and an inflatable doesn't feel a good mix!

We plan on a few freshwater sorties before a carefully planned sea trial Smile

ADMIN
Notbad

Kayak Fishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kayak Fishing   Kayak Fishing EmptyFri Nov 12, 2021 3:40 pm

Meant to add,
there were film crews all over Llyn Padarn and up Nant Peris, Ant & Dec filming something for "I'm a Celebrity"
- you never know we might be in the background!

Fishing Addict
Rhod Lloyd

Kayak Fishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kayak Fishing   Kayak Fishing EmptyFri Nov 12, 2021 6:53 pm

So you may be film stars now, I hope you can get paid for your years of experience.
Well done both of you for taking on a new venture, I wish you well with it.
Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Marlin Hunter
Kirky's Dad

Kayak Fishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kayak Fishing   Kayak Fishing EmptySat Nov 13, 2021 8:47 am

It may even start a new fishing series “ Fishing with Paul & Tina” or “On the water with Paul & Tina”. cth
Back to top Go down
Rhod Lloyd
Fishing Addict
Rhod Lloyd

Kayak Fishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kayak Fishing   Kayak Fishing EmptySat Nov 13, 2021 9:55 am

Or, up the creek without a paddle.
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Kayak Fishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kayak Fishing   Kayak Fishing EmptySat Nov 13, 2021 7:59 pm

Rhod Lloyd wrote:

I think I might have unleashed something!

Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

Number of posts : 1705
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 4951

Kayak Fishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kayak Fishing   Kayak Fishing EmptySun Nov 14, 2021 12:48 pm

They are using the castle on the left of the A55, for a new TV programme base.
I've got too old for Kayaks,but otherwise I'd get one tomorrow.
We were in a boat fishing off the GT Orme,and two Kayakers popped out of a big cave.They seem to be able to get anywhere.
I think a wet suit is the best idea for a Kayak,That extra bit of flotation is handy if you end up in the drink.
I've got a couple of self inflating life jackets,but without being able to test them,I'm not all that sure how certain they will work.
I've come in on waves in Cornwall with a wetsuit on,in a sitting positiion.
(No weight belt)
Have you thought of putting in at Conway slip?
You can go seaward and up the river.
I bet the sandbanks towards the bibbing tunnels are full of flatties.
Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Marlin Hunter
Kirky's Dad

Kayak Fishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kayak Fishing   Kayak Fishing EmptyTue Nov 16, 2021 10:26 am

Rhod Lloyd wrote:
lol!
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Kayak Fishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kayak Fishing   Kayak Fishing EmptyWed Nov 17, 2021 11:31 am

VALVEBOUNCE wrote:
Conway slip?.

believe me we don't pass any water without looking at it's possibilities and dangers in a whole new light!

Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

Number of posts : 1705
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 4951

Kayak Fishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kayak Fishing   Kayak Fishing EmptyWed Nov 17, 2021 2:40 pm

Notbad wrote:
VALVEBOUNCE wrote:
Conway slip?.

believe me we don't pass any water without looking at it's possibilities and dangers in a whole new light!

The Conway slip is just higher up than the Marina,if you pass thro' Conway and under the arches,turn immediatley right,follow the road down and there's a turning on the left.
It leads down a big carpark.The slip is at the bottom.There's a big floating pontoon,and a metal walkway down to the pontoon.
We usually launched the boat and then tied up to the pontoon while we got sorted out.
The walkway's handy if you need to tie up and go back to the car for something.
We used to keep to the left on the way out to avoid the sandbanks,then swing over to the right to the Great Orme and Llandudno.
If the weather turned a bit iffy,we went up the river instead.
Back to top Go down
MusselMan
ADMIN
MusselMan

Number of posts : 1303
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7112

Kayak Fishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kayak Fishing   Kayak Fishing EmptyThu Nov 18, 2021 1:36 pm

Possibly not the best time of year to be taking this one up!

I have kayak fished quite a bit in IOM but not much in Wales. I have a tandem sit on top which I paddle myself. I am not the lightest of paddlers and it also gives me extra space.

Some random advice which you may already know -

Don't get too much kit to start with - keep it safe but simple. Don't want too many things to get trapped on or tangled up with. Or lost over the side.

I used to have a spotter (usually the missus) on the shore when fishing alone.

Onshore wind or no wind when at sea.

Trolling lures was more fun than sitting at a spot. Also less sea sick.

Having a bungee cord is useful if you need to tow another kayak. You can also use it to anchor next to structures/mooring bouys.

The most likely place to fall off is right at the beach if there is any swell. Paddling out you need to be strong right from the get go then ease off after the breakers. If the waves turn you sideways on they will inevitably get you. You can dig paddle into the seabed to get some grip. Paddling back you dont want to slow down as you approach the beach. Use the paddle as a rudder to hopefully slide up the beach head on. Best not to put fishing rod pointing over the front of the kayak as the nose can dig in when you hit the beach.

Practice falling off and getting on again in shallow water without any fishing gear to get used to cold water shock.

If you are paddling together and one falls off then the other can brace both kayaks side by side with paddles across whilst the one in the water "swims" on from the side. If you are on your own it may be easier to swim up from the back of the kayak.

I want to try fishing the estuary at Rhyl and also Conwy at some stage. Maybe we can meet up next summer? Need to be mindful that bass nursery rules are different on a kayak than from the shore.
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Kayak Fishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kayak Fishing   Kayak Fishing EmptyThu Nov 18, 2021 6:23 pm

Yes MusselMan it would be good to meet up, may well be the Summer before I've got the hang of surfing the waves on the canal first! Very Happy

ADMIN
Notbad

Kayak Fishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kayak Fishing   Kayak Fishing EmptyTue Aug 09, 2022 7:06 pm

Schedule delayed by my op esrlier this year but getting back to practising inland and getting paddle fit before I'm confident enough to venture out to sea.

Llyn Padarn, Llanberis before 7am today.

Kayak Fishing Img-2168

Small fry in the edges and further out bigger fish were jumping 2 foot clear of the water.

Kayak Fishing Img-2169

Kayak Fishing Img-2170

Marlin Hunter
Kirky's Dad

Kayak Fishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kayak Fishing   Kayak Fishing EmptyWed Aug 10, 2022 8:52 am

That looks very calm. Have you tried any fishing yet or are you still in the cruising mode?
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Kayak Fishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kayak Fishing   Kayak Fishing EmptyWed Aug 10, 2022 9:07 am

Kirky's Dad wrote:
That looks very calm. Have you tried any fishing yet or are you still in the cruising mode?

Not fished off it yet, been practising manouvering through the slalom gates,
recovering objects from the water technique and trying to look graceful getting in and out!
About ready for the sea on an incoming tide and on shore breeze now, then to add a rod.😎

Tope Hunter

Number of posts : 1317
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6680

Kayak Fishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kayak Fishing   Kayak Fishing EmptyWed Aug 10, 2022 9:44 am

Good luck with the adventure my daughter+ son-in-law and kids go to balla kayaking they love it
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Kayak Fishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kayak Fishing   Kayak Fishing EmptyThu Aug 11, 2022 9:33 am

congerman1962 wrote:
Good luck with the adventure my daughter+ son-in-law  and kids go to balla kayaking they love it  

I heard algae was a problem to consider at Bala, didn't see any at Llanberis ( water monitoring samples were being taken whilst we were there though)

ADMIN
MusselMan

Number of posts : 1303
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7112

Kayak Fishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kayak Fishing   Kayak Fishing EmptyThu Aug 11, 2022 9:52 am

Maybe you could try fishing the river Clwyd on an incoming tide before venturing out to sea ? Not sure where would be easiest to park and get on/off the water though.

The one time I kayak fished at Rhyl I recall having to go out a fair distance to get any depth of water. Not sure you would want to go that far when you are new to it.
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Kayak Fishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kayak Fishing   Kayak Fishing EmptyThu Aug 11, 2022 1:14 pm

MusselMan wrote:
Maybe you could try fishing the river Clwyd on an incoming tide before venturing out to sea ? Not sure where would be easiest to park and get on/off the water though.

The one time I kayak fished at Rhyl I recall having to go out a fair distance to get any depth of water. Not sure you would want to go that far when you are new to it.

The river is doable and I know of a couple who regulary kayak it, though anyone thinking of doing it should take a really good look at the "step" just a few yards upstream of the Blue Bridge.

There is a sandbank though which isvisible at low water if you look downstream from the Rhuddlan by-pass bridge which might call for some portage to get further upstream.

Fishing the river raises complications like licences and permits.

Before the changes at Rhyl's
Splashpoint High water put about 12 foot of water around the green triangle so plenty deep enough 100 yards out( and a bit further out would you put you on the gulley) however  the flood protection work has reduced the scope for a safe "forced landing" spot, I think even the little used slip just East of Splash has gone now.

Fishing over the outer banks in front of the RNLI boathouse are certainly further out than I'd want to be, I'm quite risk averse!

Launching near the kite surfing school paddling East with the flood and returning at High looks like the local option to me, though I've a few other locations in mind when I'm ready.

Kayak Fishing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kayak Fishing   Kayak Fishing Empty

Back to top Go down

Kayak Fishing
Page 1 of 1