AuthorMessage
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6098
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13634

Ellen High Water Empty
PostSubject: Ellen High Water   Ellen High Water EmptySun Aug 23, 2020 5:58 pm

Wasn't sure I'd get chance given the reports for Storm Ellen but got to Holyhead Breakwater two and a half hours before afternoon High today hoping for the best.

Ellen High Water 20200813

Decided to try the quay at the start of the breakie for a change, never tried off here before but opted for the Uglistik Travel rod, 30lb braid and a 3 hook cut down sabiki rig tipped with small bits of rag straightdown the wall, a 1 oz weight was enough this close in.

A second drop shake - felt the fish and then it got off and all went quiet until I tried the other side of the corner I was set up on where it turned out there was a Wrasse party going on

Ellen High Water 20200814

Ellen High Water 20200815

Ellen High Water 20200816

Ellen High Water 20200817

Last edited by Notbad on Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Ellen High Water Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ellen High Water   Ellen High Water EmptySun Aug 23, 2020 6:23 pm

Local fellah told me the mackerel were in and there was plenty of whitebait showing along the wall so every re-bait time I flicked it out for a go at them.

I was just watching a dinghy 150 yards off the wall pulling in a string of them when I had a take

Ellen High Water 20200818

As you can't usually drive down the breakie I presume this convoy had a match arranged.

Ellen High Water 20200819

The mackerel suddenly arrived in force just after that penning the whitebait against the wall with the water boiling like a pirhana pack attack in a way I've not seen in a good while and just as soon they faded away.

I went back to the Wrasse action,

Ellen High Water 20200820

didn't bother photographing them all but the Wrasse were still keen to play and a put up better scrap than the mackies I reckon.

About high the Mackies were back and obligingly jumping on 3 at a time at which point I was getting hungry and went to the drive thru of a different sort of Mackie!

Plan had been to try lures in the sluice at 4 Mile Bridge for the ebb but after fish a plenty that can wait for another day.

fish
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Ellen High Water Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ellen High Water   Ellen High Water EmptySun Aug 23, 2020 8:31 pm

Just seen the convoy was Holyhead and Dist Angling Club - change of venue due to forecast
Back to top Go down
congerman1962
Tope Hunter

Number of posts : 1317
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6679

Ellen High Water Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ellen High Water   Ellen High Water EmptySun Aug 23, 2020 10:09 pm

Great post well done on the fish thanks for sharing the day
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

Number of posts : 1705
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 4950

Ellen High Water Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ellen High Water   Ellen High Water EmptyMon Aug 24, 2020 2:29 am

I watched two locals fishing the four mile bridge,they were catching live bait on the Holyhead side,then using it on the Rhosneigr side to fish for bass,under a float.they had a couple of bass each.
Nice day for you,thanks for the pics..
Back to top Go down
MusselMan
ADMIN
MusselMan

Number of posts : 1303
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7111

Ellen High Water Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ellen High Water   Ellen High Water EmptyMon Aug 24, 2020 2:01 pm

Good report thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Marlin Hunter
Kirky's Dad

Number of posts : 2861
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7846

Ellen High Water Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ellen High Water   Ellen High Water EmptyTue Aug 25, 2020 8:46 am

A great report Paul a day to remember well done. fishing fish fish fish
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ellen High Water Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ellen High Water   Ellen High Water Empty

Back to top Go down

Ellen High Water
Page 1 of 1