AuthorMessage
Rhod Lloyd
Fishing Addict
Rhod Lloyd

Number of posts : 617
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6463

Vavau Tonga 3 Empty
PostSubject: Vavau Tonga 3   Vavau Tonga 3 EmptySat Dec 21, 2019 1:46 am

I am spreading this out to give you poor winterbound souls a bit of sunshine.

There were 4 days left, and 2 more fishing days, Tuesday looked like being a bit windy and Wednesday windy early with rain but improving. (one boat went out but had a slow day with only a wahoo and a small mahimahi) Thursday and Friday were to be the fishing days, so Tuesday we accepted a trip in to the town of Neiafu, 15 minutes away. Not a lot to see, a local market and a town grown around the harbour to supply the whale watch and fishing boats and the needs of the Tongan residents. There are cruise ship visits and during the winter a supply base for cruising yachts (out of cyclone season)
On the wednesday afternoon Eric I and a 14 year old boy Harry walked about 4 miles to a small settlement up the harbour, on the way we saw a few of the locals,

Vavau Tonga 3 Img_5814

A 3 inch spider found around the pacific, their golden webs sometimes cover the sunny side of trees anchored by strong outer cables and finer inside webs for fly catching, they are harmless.

Vavau Tonga 3 Img_5813

A frut bat or flying fox, about the size of a crow, as the day faded they were flying around the trees and coconut palms where they roost during the day.

Vavau Tonga 3 Img_5815

I will send this in case I loose it

Harry and Eric and the upper Neiafu harbour.

Vavau Tonga 3 Img_5816

Very valuable in Tongan socity for weddings or any other social ocasion.
Back to top Go down
Rhod Lloyd
Fishing Addict
Rhod Lloyd

Number of posts : 617
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6463

Vavau Tonga 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vavau Tonga 3   Vavau Tonga 3 EmptySat Dec 21, 2019 4:54 am

And so we come to Thursday, day 3 for the competition. It did not start well! Our boat Sky Blue owned by the resort owners turned up but we knew that the deckhand had to catch a 3pm flight so it was decided to go out and rendezvous with another boat to pick the decky up. What we and the owner did not know was they were having trouble with the boat electrics, and after only a couple of minutes an alarm sounded and the outboards shut down. They started again and we joined the rest of the fleet at the start line for 8 am.
All went well for an hour then the same fault again 3 times. The skipper decided to return to Neiafu to try to fix the problem, so we were back at the resort for coffee. !0-30 Sky Blue was back so hammers down we headed out to sea again minus the deckhand. about 11 am the lures were back in the water and all was well, for 10 minutes!
then the same fault, and while the skipper pulled on wires, we pulled the lures in to stop them tangling. The outboards started again so I payed out a greenish head lure and put it on the face of the third pressure wake wave behind the boat as the other 3 lures went back to their positions, 5 minutes later I glanced at the green lure to see it dissapear in to a big mouth with a long bill straight up in the air.
Markus was in the chair, and after about 25 minutes the fish was at the boat, I passed the tag pole to Eric who put the tag in and passed the pole back to me, Peter grabbed the gaff and managed to pull it in to Erics ankle, luckily not too hard, a few minutes later the marlin estimated at 150kg was in the boat.

Vavau Tonga 3 Img_1210

Back in went the lures, then the motors cut out and could not be started again.

So there we were 10 miles from base drifting out in to the vast Pacific with a good breeze pushing us away from home. A call on the radio had the boat owner sending out one of his flash charter yachts to rescue us. Of course a huge workup of skipjack tuna with birds diving slowly surrounded us, and we could do nothing.

Vavau Tonga 3 Img_5817

2 hours later, Time Out caught up with us and took our anchor rope and tied it off to a cleat on one hull, this did not work well and the rope broke and thudded in to the screen of Skye Blue. The second attempt was tied off to a bridle across the stern of Time Out.

3 hours later, we arrived at the resort and the Marlin weighed 158 kg. So in an hour of fishing we had the best fish of the day against the 5 other boats 8 hours on the water.
The resort owner gave us each a $250 dollar refund for the messed up day. Did we care, we had increased our lead for the teams event.
Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Marlin Hunter
Kirky's Dad

Number of posts : 2861
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7842

Vavau Tonga 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vavau Tonga 3   Vavau Tonga 3 EmptySat Dec 21, 2019 9:18 am

This is turning out to be some trip well done.boatcth
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6098
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13630

Vavau Tonga 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vavau Tonga 3   Vavau Tonga 3 EmptySat Dec 21, 2019 9:42 pm

Quite a series of reports Rhod,
Hope your leg is healing well.
Back to top Go down
MusselMan
ADMIN
MusselMan

Number of posts : 1303
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7107

Vavau Tonga 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vavau Tonga 3   Vavau Tonga 3 EmptySun Dec 22, 2019 12:48 pm

150kg - just a tiddler then affraid

My last experience with fruit bats was about 25 years ago, in Brisbane. They look cute but had a nasty habit of pooping whenever they took off. We used to give the trees a wide berth around dusk.
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

Number of posts : 6951
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13882

Vavau Tonga 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vavau Tonga 3   Vavau Tonga 3 EmptyWed Dec 25, 2019 8:35 am

Rock on
Back to top Go down
Rhod Lloyd
Fishing Addict