sunnyrhyl.com

Warning: May Contain Nuts
 
HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 A bit of fun (added too)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
stevo
Fish of the Month Winner
Fish of the Month Winner
avatar

Number of posts : 3389
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7278
Location : manchester

PostSubject: A bit of fun (added too)   Tue May 30, 2017 10:26 pm

I've been wanting to really test my LRF setup to
see how far I can push it. Laughing

After catching a small pike on it the other week
I decided to spend a couple of hours this everning
trying to catch a carp with it. Rock on

I arrived at the bullshead at 7:00pm and fished on
peg 38 which is a peg I've caught carp on before. cheers

I baited both side's of the peg and pretty soon I could
see carp with there heads down feeding  cheers

I lowered my bait (sweetcorn) right next to the peg
and set back and waited.



And I didn't wait long my rod tip flew round FISH ON!





It was a nice little common carp around 6lb but what great fun on
a super light rod 0.5 to 7g cth

I'll be going back soon to see if I can catch a bigger one cheers

to be continued......

_________________
Fishing magazine super star lol...................


Last edited by stevo on Wed May 31, 2017 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Notbad
The Big Cheese
avatar

Number of posts : 4541
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 9165
Location : Sunny Rhyl, near t'beach and the old folks home

PostSubject: Re: A bit of fun (added too)   Wed May 31, 2017 6:20 pm

Careful Stevo, someone might tell you that you only need one rod and they've sold your others!
Back to top Go down
stevo
Fish of the Month Winner
Fish of the Month Winner
avatar

Number of posts : 3389
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7278
Location : manchester

PostSubject: Re: A bit of fun (added too)   Wed May 31, 2017 9:48 pm

Notbad wrote:
Careful Stevo, someone might tell you that you only need one rod and they've sold your others!

Shocked Shocked didn't think of that!

_________________
Fishing magazine super star lol...................
Back to top Go down
stevo
Fish of the Month Winner
Fish of the Month Winner
avatar

Number of posts : 3389
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7278
Location : manchester

PostSubject: Re: A bit of fun (added too)   Wed May 31, 2017 10:06 pm

From tonight's sess.....

Still seeing how far I can push this little
rod I was back on the bullshead still
trying to catch a monster on it Rock on

After 30mins I did catch a bigger carp this one
was around 8lb cth





Cole was itching for a go and yep he caught one  cth  



After wrestling the rod back of cole I managed to catch another
common carp (they was getting smaller  Sad )



I'm going back on tomorrow so i'll be trying to catch a double figure carp. thumbs up

to be continued......

_________________
Fishing magazine super star lol...................
Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Sunnyrhyl Addict
Sunnyrhyl Addict
avatar

Number of posts : 2156
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 4753
Location : Stafford, Staffordshire

PostSubject: Re: A bit of fun (added too)   Wed May 31, 2017 10:45 pm

Looks like it's a lot stronger rod than it looks Steve but there will be a limit so don't push your luck or you might be having a rage time.
Back to top Go down
stevo
Fish of the Month Winner
Fish of the Month Winner
avatar

Number of posts : 3389
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7278
Location : manchester

PostSubject: Re: A bit of fun (added too)   Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:14 am

Kirky's Dad wrote:
Looks like it's a lot stronger rod than it looks Steve but there will be a limit so don't push your luck or you might be having a rage time.


This is it jim I'm trying to push it to see if it does snap
that carp tonight gave it a good work out and it was
no where near snapping Laughing bring it on thumbs up

_________________
Fishing magazine super star lol...................
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Super Star
Super Star


Number of posts : 576
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 1193
Location : MANCHESTER

PostSubject: Re: A bit of fun (added too)   Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:30 am

Nice to know the LRF rods hold up to a bit of pressure,I've got a shimano that I haven't tried yet,
I was wondering like yourself how much they will take.
I'm wondering if it would be ok to use on the boat for a bit of light uptiding.
Nice fish,great pics as usual. lol!
Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Sunnyrhyl Addict
Sunnyrhyl Addict
avatar

Number of posts : 2156
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 4753
Location : Stafford, Staffordshire

PostSubject: Re: A bit of fun (added too)   Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:33 am

stevo wrote:
Kirky's Dad wrote:
Looks like it's a lot stronger rod than it looks Steve but there will be a limit so don't push your luck or you might be having a rage time.


This is it jim I'm trying to push it to see if it does snap
that carp tonight gave it a good work out and it was
no where near snapping Laughing  bring it on thumbs up

When I was a 11 year old Fibre Glass rod came out and some of my mates got them they cost about £4 then which was about half a mans wage so note cheap. They sold them because they would bend a lot in fact you could make the tip touch the butt I never quite worked out how that would make you catch any more fish as I had a Split Cane rod which was quite stiff. Anyway back to the tall one of the lads came fishing with me to Pattsall Pool with his new rod and of course he had to tell me all about it and to show me how far it would bend, I will never forget the look on his face as his new never been used before 6 month pocket money rod ended up in two pieces. He cried all the way home about 5 miles on his push bike. So be warned Steve I wouldn't like you to end up in tears and have to walk home with a broken rod and a spoiled fishing trip. fishing cth rage Embarassed Crying or Very sad Sad
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Super Star
Super Star


Number of posts : 576
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 1193
Location : MANCHESTER

PostSubject: Re: A bit of fun (added too)   Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:51 am

I think there is a lot more tenacity in a carbon rod than a fibreglass rod(when I was a kid Tank ariels were the thing)
The thing with carbon rods is if you touch an overhead cable,or get hit by a lightening strike,you could end up lighting up like a pinball machine lol!
Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Sunnyrhyl Addict
Sunnyrhyl Addict
avatar

Number of posts : 2156
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 4753
Location : Stafford, Staffordshire

PostSubject: Re: A bit of fun (added too)   Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:42 pm

VALVEBOUNCE wrote:
I think there is a lot more tenacity in a carbon rod than a fibreglass rod(when I was a kid Tank ariels were the thing)
The thing with carbon rods is if you touch an overhead cable,or get hit by a lightening strike,you could end up lighting up like a pinball machine lol!

I remember Tank Ariels with a wooden handle pushed on the end. I think you would have the same problem with a Tank Ariel as with a Cabon rod in a lightening strike or if you touched an electric cable. We didn't seem to bother to much about things like that just after the war it was a make do and made time not much about, a piece of string and a bent pin and a lot of hope. Our local shop use to have a bit of fishing tackle in the corner of one of it's windows. I spent weeks saving up for the little centre pin reel they had in the window. Every time I passed the shop I looked in to see if it had gone. I got it in the end and was as proud as punch. I put on an old cane Sea rod a friend of my Dads had given me and went to fish in a pond in one of the local farmers fields. Caught a couple of Golden Carp and was hooked now 73 and been fishing on and off all my life. Happy Days. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Super Star
Super Star


Number of posts : 576
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 1193
Location : MANCHESTER

PostSubject: Re: A bit of fun (added too)   Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:48 pm

Those were the days KD,my situation was very similar to yours.Remember the aluminium maggot tins?
I got a 3 piece rod for my 12th birthday,Cane with the top section Greenhart.It came with a base metal centre pin reel with a ratchet on it.I had it for years.It was £2.10 shillings.
I used a little ball of bread with Aniseed for the carp (tiddlers)
I took the rod with me to Australia in 1961,I snook it out on the ship and fished the Suez canal as we went along.
Not much doing though,just a load of the locals bathing and doing there ablutions.
I was 2 months old when Adolf kicked the bucket lol!
Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Sunnyrhyl Addict
Sunnyrhyl Addict
avatar

Number of posts : 2156
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 4753
Location : Stafford, Staffordshire

PostSubject: Re: A bit of fun (added too)   Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:44 pm

The only place we could get maggots was Wolverhampton which was 8 miles away we couldn't afford the bus fare and the maggots so we would cycle there and back. Went one Saturday and when I got home the top had come of my maggot tin they were all in the bottom of my saddle bag needless to say I never found all of them and a few days later the shed where I kept my bike was full of Blue Bottles, we use to get worms from the lawn by wetting the law with washing up liquid in a watering can very affective. study
Back to top Go down
Logger
The Organ Grinder
avatar

Number of posts : 5889
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 9961
Location : Colwyn Bay/ Moffat

PostSubject: Re: A bit of fun (added too)   Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:32 pm

Another great sesh well done cheers
Back to top Go down
Notbad
The Big Cheese
avatar

Number of posts : 4541
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 9165
Location : Sunny Rhyl, near t'beach and the old folks home

PostSubject: Re: A bit of fun (added too)   Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:02 pm

God yeah tank aeriel rods!

Somebody must have thought, " we'll knock a few thousand more of these out than we have tanks and sell 'em off as fishing rods"

I don't remember aluminium maggots though, they must have come from left over aircraft ( maybe I'll read that again)

Don't forget the old black waterproofs that would barely bend and their plastic buttons that you couldn't fasten with cold fingers and balaclava yer Mum knitted you
Back to top Go down
stevo
Fish of the Month Winner
Fish of the Month Winner
avatar

Number of posts : 3389
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7278
Location : manchester

PostSubject: Re: A bit of fun (added too)   Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:12 pm

Kirky's Dad wrote:
stevo wrote:
Kirky's Dad wrote:
Looks like it's a lot stronger rod than it looks Steve but there will be a limit so don't push your luck or you might be having a rage time.


This is it jim I'm trying to push it to see if it does snap
that carp tonight gave it a good work out and it was
no where near snapping Laughing  bring it on thumbs up

When I was a 11 year old Fibre Glass rod came out and some of my mates got them they cost about £4 then which was about half a mans wage so note cheap. They sold them because they would bend a lot in fact you could make the tip touch the butt I never quite worked out how that would make you catch any more fish as I had a Split Cane rod which was quite stiff. Anyway back to the tall one of the lads came fishing with me to Pattsall Pool with his new rod and of course he had to tell me all about it and to show me how far it would bend, I will never forget the look on his face as his new never been used before 6 month pocket money rod ended up in two pieces. He cried all the way home about 5 miles on his push bike. So be warned Steve I wouldn't like you to end up in tears and have to walk home with a broken rod and a spoiled fishing trip. fishing cth rage Embarassed Crying or Very sad Sad


lol! lol! I will be in tears jim Sad but if I land whatever does snap it
then it'll be happy because it should be a big fish cth

_________________
Fishing magazine super star lol...................
Back to top Go down
stevo
Fish of the Month Winner
Fish of the Month Winner
avatar

Number of posts : 3389
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7278
Location : manchester

PostSubject: Re: A bit of fun (added too)   Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:14 pm

VALVEBOUNCE wrote:
Nice to know the LRF rods hold up to a bit of pressure,I've got a shimano that I haven't tried yet,
I was wondering like yourself how much they will take.
I'm wondering if it would be ok to use on the boat for a bit of light uptiding.
Nice fish,great pics as usual. lol!

lol! Get in on the boat stan and see what you can catch with it
keep us posted thumbs up Laughing

_________________
Fishing magazine super star lol...................
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Super Star
Super Star


Number of posts : 576
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 1193
Location : MANCHESTER

PostSubject: Re: A bit of fun (added too)   Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:22 am

Notbad wrote:
God yeah tank aeriel rods!

Somebody must have thought, " we'll knock a few thousand more of these out than we have tanks and sell 'em off as fishing rods"

I don't remember aluminium maggots though, they must have come from left over aircraft ( maybe I'll read that again)

Don't forget the old black waterproofs that would barely bend and their plastic buttons that you couldn't fasten with cold fingers and balaclava yer Mum knitted you

I remember the waterproofs,you had to peel them apart every time you used them. lol!
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Super Star
Super Star


Number of posts : 576
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 1193
Location : MANCHESTER

PostSubject: Re: A bit of fun (added too)   Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:24 am

stevo wrote:
VALVEBOUNCE wrote:
Nice to know the LRF rods hold up to a bit of pressure,I've got a shimano that I haven't tried yet,
I was wondering like yourself how much they will take.
I'm wondering if it would be ok to use on the boat for a bit of light uptiding.
Nice fish,great pics as usual. lol!

lol!  Get in on the boat stan and see what you can catch with it
keep us posted thumbs up Laughing

It's 30g max,I am thinking of using 4 oz gripper leads and 30lb braid.
Back to top Go down
stevo
Fish of the Month Winner
Fish of the Month Winner
avatar

Number of posts : 3389
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7278
Location : manchester

PostSubject: Re: A bit of fun (added too)   Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:29 pm

VALVEBOUNCE wrote:
stevo wrote:
VALVEBOUNCE wrote:
Nice to know the LRF rods hold up to a bit of pressure,I've got a shimano that I haven't tried yet,
I was wondering like yourself how much they will take.
I'm wondering if it would be ok to use on the boat for a bit of light uptiding.
Nice fish,great pics as usual. lol!

lol!  Get in on the boat stan and see what you can catch with it
keep us posted thumbs up Laughing

It's 30g max,I am thinking of using 4 oz gripper leads and 30lb braid.

Bloody hell Stan that's a wrecking set up lol! lol!

_________________
Fishing magazine super star lol...................
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Super Star
Super Star


Number of posts : 576
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 1193
Location : MANCHESTER

PostSubject: Re: A bit of fun (added too)   Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:33 am

stevo wrote:
VALVEBOUNCE wrote:
stevo wrote:
VALVEBOUNCE wrote:
Nice to know the LRF rods hold up to a bit of pressure,I've got a shimano that I haven't tried yet,
I was wondering like yourself how much they will take.
I'm wondering if it would be ok to use on the boat for a bit of light uptiding.
Nice fish,great pics as usual. lol!

lol!  Get in on the boat stan and see what you can catch with it
keep us posted thumbs up Laughing

It's 30g max,I am thinking of using 4 oz gripper leads and 30lb braid.

Bloody hell Stan that's a wrecking set up lol! lol!

Seriously Steve,do you think so?
The braid is only as thick as 6lb mono(Dynema)
I thought the minimum weight couldn't really be much less for uptiding,.Think a lighter weight would hold?
With less tidal drag on the braid I thought I would need a bit of weight for it to hold bottom. scratch lol!
I would only need a small cast to get out of the "scare area"
Back to top Go down
stevo
Fish of the Month Winner
Fish of the Month Winner
avatar

Number of posts : 3389
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7278
Location : manchester

PostSubject: Re: A bit of fun (added too)   Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:44 pm

VALVEBOUNCE wrote:
stevo wrote:
VALVEBOUNCE wrote:
stevo wrote:
VALVEBOUNCE wrote:
Nice to know the LRF rods hold up to a bit of pressure,I've got a shimano that I haven't tried yet,
I was wondering like yourself how much they will take.
I'm wondering if it would be ok to use on the boat for a bit of light uptiding.
Nice fish,great pics as usual. lol!

lol!  Get in on the boat stan and see what you can catch with it
keep us posted thumbs up Laughing

It's 30g max,I am thinking of using 4 oz gripper leads and 30lb braid.

Bloody hell Stan that's a wrecking set up lol! lol!

Seriously Steve,do you think so?
The braid is only as thick as 6lb mono(Dynema)
I thought the minimum weight couldn't really be much less for uptiding,.Think a lighter weight would hold?
With less tidal drag on the braid I thought I would need a bit of weight for it to hold bottom. scratch lol!
I would only need a small cast to get out of the "scare area"

You should be fine with that set up mate for a bit of fun on your boat thumbs up

_________________
Fishing magazine super star lol...................
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Super Star
Super Star


Number of posts : 576
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 1193
Location : MANCHESTER

PostSubject: Re: A bit of fun (added too)   Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:00 am

Cheers Steve,you had me worried,thought my idea wouldn't work lol!

I've fitted two angled rod holders in the fibreglass splashwell,the idea is to use those two for downtiding,probably with carp rods for better bite indication,I've got a couple of 10ft boat rods if the occasion warrants it.
Then we can uptide with 2 LRF rods from up near the seats(they swivel round to face backwards.)
There will only be two of us,so it will be 2 rods each.
Back to top Go down
stevo
Fish of the Month Winner
Fish of the Month Winner
avatar

Number of posts : 3389
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7278
Location : manchester

PostSubject: Re: A bit of fun (added too)   Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:09 pm

VALVEBOUNCE wrote:
Cheers Steve,you had me worried,thought my idea wouldn't work lol!

I've fitted two angled rod holders in the fibreglass splashwell,the idea is to use those two for downtiding,probably with carp rods for better bite indication,I've got a couple of 10ft boat rods if the occasion warrants it.
Then we can uptide with 2 LRF rods from up near the seats(they swivel round to face backwards.)
There will only be two of us,so it will be 2 rods each.

Sounds like you have a plan stan thumbs up

_________________
Fishing magazine super star lol...................
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: A bit of fun (added too)   

Back to top Go down
 
A bit of fun (added too)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
sunnyrhyl.com :: Fresh Water Fishing :: Fresh Water Fishing Reports-
Jump to: