4 posters
AuthorMessage
Rhod Lloyd
Fishing Addict
Rhod Lloyd

Number of posts : 617
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6468

A question for yez all Empty
PostSubject: A question for yez all   A question for yez all EmptyMon Jul 27, 2015 6:41 am

Can anyone tell me when the lifeboat station at Friars or (Fryars) bay near Penmon was removed.
It was built in 1912, and I believe closed 1994. I have found a photo of it on the Beaumaris Lifeboat web site.
It was built on wooden poles with a steep ramp down to below low tide, and an elevated walkway to the land.
I have tried the Beaumaris lifeboat site and the library, and not had a reply from either.
I used to dig bait near there in the 60's, and I aint tellin what or where, but I could see the station in the distance. Reasonably deep water near where the station was, worth a cast or two
Back to top Go down
headwyn
Sunnyrhyl Addict
Sunnyrhyl Addict
headwyn

Number of posts : 2016
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 8057

PostSubject: Re: A question for yez all   A question for yez all EmptyMon Jul 27, 2015 7:05 am

My old man might know a thing or 2. Im sure he will reply when he sees this.

I can remember seeing the old slip ( if its the one im thinking of ) when we used to digging in that area when i was younger. No idea when it was removed though.
Back to top Go down
squidward
Tope Hunter
squidward

Number of posts : 1096
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7214

PostSubject: Re: A question for yez all   A question for yez all EmptyMon Jul 27, 2015 10:31 am

We used to dig king rag around the old lifeboat house on stilts in the late sixties, but I don`t remember it being in use then There was an old bloke, I think his name was Girling or something similar, who lived in the house behind there who kept coming out to tell us we were digging in a protected area, and he had called the police, we never took any notice of him, but we usually had more than enough bait in about half an hour anyway. The weir wall was about 3 feet high then, and teeming with peeler crab, we never fished there , but usually carried on down the road to Black Point.
:
A question for yez all Dadsbass1

A question for yez all Dadsbass2https://2img.net/h/i171.photobucket.com/albums/u289/headwyn/Dadsbass2.jpg
Back to top Go down
Rhod Lloyd
Fishing Addict
Rhod Lloyd

PostSubject: A quetion for yez all   A question for yez all EmptyMon Jul 27, 2015 11:18 am

I wonder if there are any ragworms left there now, you needed a very strong fork.
I have fished at the lighthouse but mainly for mackerel in the channel, plus one day in a gut around to the left when a school of mackerel repeatedly attacked bait fish in the gut. I used a small Meps spinner and usually got one macky from each sortie until they disappeared.
Back to top Go down
Rhod Lloyd
Fishing Addict
Rhod Lloyd

PostSubject: Lifeboat station Friars Bay Beaumaris   A question for yez all EmptyWed Aug 05, 2015 3:23 am

I have had a reply from Sue Bellringer at Beaumaris Library, saying the lifeboat station was closed 1992, but she was not sure when it was demolished, probably late 90's.
That is really all I wanted to know, that I had not dreamed that it was there so many years ago, and not there when I was looking for it in 2012.
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

Number of posts : 6951
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13887

PostSubject: Re: A question for yez all   A question for yez all EmptyWed Aug 05, 2015 6:49 am

Great photos Terry Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A question for yez all   A question for yez all Empty

Back to top Go down

A question for yez all
Page 1 of 1