sunnyrhyl.forumotion.com

Stay Alert, Stay Safe!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Help for a new boat owner

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Help for a new boat owner Empty
PostSubject: Help for a new boat owner   Help for a new boat owner EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 11:21 pm

Im pretty new to boat fishing and i spend most of my time in Aberdaron i have a 15ft sea hog hunter with a mercury 40hp and would appreciate any tips on where to fish and what tackle to use. I don't expect people to give away there exact marks and techniques but a shove in the right direction would be helpful. Having fished beach and rock marks for the best part of 30 years i am thinking its a lot easier to find the good marks at least at low water you can have a good reckie as at sea its a bloody big pond out there and half of the fishing magazines you read are a load of tosh.
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6098
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13629

PostSubject: Re: Help for a new boat owner   Help for a new boat owner EmptyTue Jun 02, 2015 9:25 am

Still learning myself and don't know your area,
Do you have a so called fish finder?
They don't really find fish as such but they do help you understand the topography of the sea bed around you, which helps work out where they are.

What was a surprise to me when I got into small boat fishing, mostly with Bass in mind is how much lighter the required gear is for inshore than I imagined. 1 or 2 oz leads and worm on some form of flowing trace on a spinning rod, streamed out behind the anchored boat and you can switch to drifting with plastic lures once things warm up, up here red gill evo lures in various colours fished deep and retrieved fairly quick we're hitting Bass last Summer. But you need to watch 360 degrees and know were your boat is drifting to.

The lads who go to Aberdovey seem to find plugs on the surface work better for Bass than red gills there

An experienced crew member is a big asset - maybe get shadowed by a second boat too to start with, is there a club down your way?

A chartplotter would be helpful too, but not cheap. There are apps you can add to your phone though.

Don't take too much tackle and keep it organised otherwise stuff gets under your feet and is an accident waiting to happen.

The RNLI do free advice on board checks and I recommend having one.

On my boat most things have a back up, ie spare anchor, fixed plus hand held radio, a flexible orange  bucket to drop your catch into doubles as a baler and as a prop guard for when towing

And don't overlook the trailer bearing maintenance.

It can all be a bit frightening and fun at the same time, stay safe!

Look forward to hearing how it goes.
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

Number of posts : 6951
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13881

PostSubject: Re: Help for a new boat owner   Help for a new boat owner EmptyTue Jun 02, 2015 9:16 pm

Notbad wrote:
Still learning myself and don't know your area,
Do you have a so called fish finder?
They don't really find fish as such but they do help you understand the topography of the sea bed

Shouldn't that be bottomography scratch
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help for a new boat owner   Help for a new boat owner EmptyTue Jun 02, 2015 9:34 pm

Notbad, thanks for advice i am member of PSC just like yourself and iv had the RNLI health check that you suggested. Iv not had much chance of getting out off the club spent most of my time on the Llyn and the fishing is a lot different, deeper and very fast running water and alot more species to aim for.Just like prestatyn the winds on the Llyn have been to strong to so far this season but when i get out i'l post a report. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

Number of posts : 6951
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13881

PostSubject: Re: Help for a new boat owner   Help for a new boat owner EmptyTue Jun 02, 2015 9:46 pm

Good luck Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help for a new boat owner   Help for a new boat owner Empty

Back to top Go down

Help for a new boat owner
Page 1 of 1