3 posters
AuthorMessage
fairziff
Porbeagle Hunter
fairziff

Number of posts : 3304
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 9169

I Do Like Mondays! Empty
PostSubject: I Do Like Mondays!   I Do Like Mondays! EmptyMon May 18, 2009 10:27 pm

Venue - Holyhead Breakwater
Tide - Low
Time - Day
Bait: Fresh Lug, Freah Rag, Frozen Squid
Date: 18th May 2009

Bob Geldof may not have liked them , but I love them!!!
What better way to spend a Monday than trying to seek shelter from a strong Southerly Wind on Holyhead Breakwater.

To be fair, it was very windy!
Simon and I headed to the very end of the Breakwater in search of some shelter from the conditions.

I Do Like Mondays! 18052009158

The lighthouse on the end looked promising, but on the 'sheltered' side, the swirling vortex made it only slightly more comfortable.

Beachcasters with large Worm and Squid baits were cast out. Smaller rigs an small worm baits were dropped down.

The rod tips were dancing about in the swirl of the wind. Bites were going to be hard to spot.
We had no luck with the smaller stuff, but Dogfish were showing on the larger baits.

Simon pulled these 2 up the very high wall.

I Do Like Mondays! 18052009145

With the wind getter stronger, we decided to drop down to the lower level.

I Do Like Mondays! 18052009164

This time, the beachcasters went quiet and the smaller species started to show.

I Do Like Mondays! 18052009151

There were lots of small Corkwings and Ballans coming out.

I Do Like Mondays! 18052009157

I Do Like Mondays! 18052009147

I Do Like Mondays! 18052009148

I Do Like Mondays! 18052009149

I had a Tompot Blenny to add a bit of variety.

The highlight of my day was a clonking bite. A really aggressive rod bend that ended up snapping the hook before I caught sight of it.
Taking all this in, Simon switched tactics and used his bigger rig close in using whole Lug and Rag baits.
Minutes later, Bingo!!!!
A great bite and he was into a nice Ballan caught on whole Lug. Not weighed, so guestimates on a postcard!!!!

I Do Like Mondays! 18052009156

I followed suit tactically, but didn't manage anything of any size.

I Do Like Mondays! 18052009154

The fish had been comong in at a steady rate. We lost count of the total.

Great fun!

Happy Days!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.sunnyrhyl.com
headwyn
Sunnyrhyl Addict
Sunnyrhyl Addict
headwyn

Number of posts : 2016
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 8062

I Do Like Mondays! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Do Like Mondays!   I Do Like Mondays! EmptyMon May 18, 2009 11:10 pm

Corkwing corner does it again cheers

Well done!

Last edited by headwyn on Tue May 19, 2009 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6105
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13653

I Do Like Mondays! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Do Like Mondays!   I Do Like Mondays! EmptyMon May 18, 2009 11:13 pm

Pleased it turned out ok for you.
Didn't look too comfy first thing this morning, did you stop for an egg McMuffin?

Great report as ever.

I've never plucked up the courage to look over the high and wide wall at the light house,
are there boulders at the base?

PS. My guess is Simon weighs 12 stone 11 oz
Back to top Go down
fairziff
Porbeagle Hunter
fairziff

I Do Like Mondays! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Do Like Mondays!   I Do Like Mondays! EmptyMon May 18, 2009 11:31 pm

Notbad wrote:

I've never plucked up the courage to look over the high and wide wall at the light house,

Neither did I !!!!

My only indication that I was actually in the water was that my rig came backin wet Smile

Simon did get up for a peek. I felt dizzy watching!
Back to top Go down

I Do Like Mondays! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Do Like Mondays!   I Do Like Mondays! EmptyTue May 19, 2009 12:04 am

Notbad wrote:
Pleased it turned out ok for you.
Didn't look too comfy first thing this morning, did you stop for an egg McMuffin?

Great report as ever.

PS. My guess is Simon weighs 12 stone 11 oz

your well off. 15 stone 9lb but i'll take your guess as a compliment

also over the far wall is a small ledge that sticks out about 18 inches. and its a long way down
Back to top Go down
headwyn
Sunnyrhyl Addict
Sunnyrhyl Addict
headwyn

Number of posts : 2016
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 8062

I Do Like Mondays! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Do Like Mondays!   I Do Like Mondays! EmptyTue May 19, 2009 12:23 am

Theres no feeling like standing atop the outside wall with the breeze behind you while reeling like fury to get a fish in from the rough stuff. pale

There is a little lip on the outside of this wall and ive even seen people standing on here tring to net or handline decent fish up. affraid

In answer to Pauls question, there are large boulders at the base of the wall for the length of the breakwater. Some as big as transit vans. These decrease in size the further out you get and give way to patches of sand.

The trick when fishing the outside wall is to cast a long way, be prepared for tackle losses and wind like hell when reeling in. Standing on top of the wall gives extra height to keep any terminal tackle you have left out of the rocks.

However, its well worth the effort as there are some belting fish to be had by fishing the outside, as i hope to demonstrate in our club match there later in the summer. cheers
Back to top Go down

I Do Like Mondays! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Do Like Mondays!   I Do Like Mondays! EmptyTue May 19, 2009 6:22 am

Thats the best report yet Mike.

Glad you and Simon had a good day, its great to get out but an added bonus to catch.

So when are you taking the money, seems like this could be your full time job soon.. Lol.

Once again another top report with stunning pictures.

Well done.

Spaceman.

bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6105
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13653

I Do Like Mondays! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Do Like Mondays!   I Do Like Mondays! EmptyTue May 19, 2009 11:15 am

thanks for the snag info,

the rocks are easy enough to see along the breakie length but the foot of the very end has always been a mystery to me, I've even considered catching a ferry to get a vertigo free look!

The other mystery is why do people who look slimmer than me weigh more?
Must be something to do with the height of my pie fuelled fundus
Back to top Go down
fairziff
Porbeagle Hunter
fairziff

I Do Like Mondays! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Do Like Mondays!   I Do Like Mondays! EmptyTue May 19, 2009 9:25 pm

bert 2 wrote:
Great report and great pictures Mike Exclamation .I also left the Rat Trap [i mean Race] on monday and threw a sicky. Report to follow .

Good to hear it !!!
Back to top Go down

I Do Like Mondays! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Do Like Mondays!   I Do Like Mondays! EmptyThu May 21, 2009 8:02 am

Wormyy wrote:
top report there mike,simon looks like hes going moutainearing lol.

i saw a builders tool jacket and thought it would be better than a fishing one because its basically the same thing but i can carry more stuff includng my bait pump. well worth the £15 i paid for it even if i do look a tit in it (thats what i think anyway)
Back to top Go down

I Do Like Mondays! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Do Like Mondays!   I Do Like Mondays! EmptyThu May 21, 2009 8:01 pm

Ex Reso Rez wrote:
You never know Simon, you could set a trend and it could be the next big accessory in Sea Angler!

i know. i was a bit unsure of wearing it around mike. i don't know how many gordon has left in stock
Back to top Go down
fairziff
Porbeagle Hunter
fairziff

I Do Like Mondays! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Do Like Mondays!   I Do Like Mondays! EmptyFri May 22, 2009 7:36 am

simon parry wrote:
Ex Reso Rez wrote:
You never know Simon, you could set a trend and it could be the next big accessory in Sea Angler!

i know. i was a bit unsure of wearing it around mike. i don't know how many gordon has left in stock

Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

I Do Like Mondays! Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Do Like Mondays!   I Do Like Mondays! Empty

Back to top Go down

I Do Like Mondays!
Page 1 of 1