2 posters
AuthorMessage
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6105
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13653

Boat Project Notbad 1 update one Empty
PostSubject: Boat Project Notbad 1 update one   Boat Project Notbad 1 update one EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 11:13 pm

Project Notbad 1 update one

Insurance and membership of Prestatyn Sailing Club sorted.

Mike and Mehmet have been round to suck their teeth and kick the tyres

New ( used ) pedestal seats collected and awaiting some attention,
The bilge pump has arrived, and an electrics master switch unit has been ordered.

Rowlocks arrived and installed ( needed to do an easy bit to feel like I'm making progress! )

Original jockey wheel removed, new one tried for size and the old bolts aren't quite having it so I'll get some others.

Ok so a not so easy job now; before the boat moves again the axle gear needs some attention, I'm changing the indespension units and the mis-matched wheels and tyres.

I've slackened the wheel nuts ready to remove the wheels once the trailer is up on the axle stands ( the boat is still on it )

Boat Project Notbad 1 update one Indespension1

Next is removing the Indespension units, the bolt heads do not look too bad at a glance, as well as the 4 per side you can see from above there are two more sneaky ones within the trailer and only visible from underneath where things aren't so pretty.

Boat Project Notbad 1 update one Indespension2

I've applied penetrating oil to everything and leaned on the nuts with various straight pull bars, ratchets and an impact driver including the old "tighten first to crack the rust" tactic.
I've not put it on the axle stands just yet because I want to start the nuts moving first.

Except the rusted nuts aren't for moving, I've taken an angle grinder to one nut and cut it off (on the underside ) but the bolt still won't shift, the head won't turn and trying to knock it out upwards from below isn't getting me anywhere.

Any tips for getting these units off? Anybody know if the bolt screws through the Indespension unit or just passes through holes in the trailer and the Indespension, if it's the latter then maybe I'm just a feeble wimp!

Back to top Go down
fairziff
Porbeagle Hunter
fairziff

Number of posts : 3304
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 9169

PostSubject: Re: Boat Project Notbad 1 update one   Boat Project Notbad 1 update one EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 11:27 pm

More teeth sucking here!

Having kicked both your tyres, I'm surprised I missed the fact that they were mis-matched Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.sunnyrhyl.com
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6105
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13653

PostSubject: Re: Boat Project Notbad 1 update one   Boat Project Notbad 1 update one EmptyThu Jun 21, 2012 9:23 pm

Jason was round tonight to cut my nuts off, seems I was being a bit limp on the tool; the Indespension is now off and it seems a reduction from 10 inch to 8 inch may be Ok.

Oh and apparently my rowlocks aren't as secure as I thought they were.

Back to top Go down
fairziff
Porbeagle Hunter
fairziff

Number of posts : 3304
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 9169

PostSubject: Re: Boat Project Notbad 1 update one   Boat Project Notbad 1 update one EmptyThu Jun 21, 2012 11:44 pm

Loose rowlocks ain't much fun either!
Back to top Go down
http://www.sunnyrhyl.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Boat Project Notbad 1 update one   Boat Project Notbad 1 update one Empty

Back to top Go down

Boat Project Notbad 1 update one
Page 1 of 1