Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
fairziff
Porbeagle Hunter
fairziff

Number of posts : 3304
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 9164

What are your fishing goals in 2009? Empty
PostSubject: What are your fishing goals in 2009?   What are your fishing goals in 2009? EmptyFri Jan 02, 2009 11:16 pm

Here's an opportunity that has caught my eye........

Having just been scouring the Lavers 2009 tide timetable, as you do Smile

One date that stands out is Saturday 22nd August 2009.

It looks to me to be the biggest tide of the year.
My plan will be to fish Kinmel Bay on the morning low tide (7.35 ish Kinmel Bay time) in the hope of an elusive Smoothound, Ray or even a baby Tope.
They are all there in August and with such a big tide, suitable bait, and a bit of luck, they should be a possibility.

Anyone else have a specific goal?
Back to top Go down
http://www.sunnyrhyl.com
headwyn
Sunnyrhyl Addict
Sunnyrhyl Addict
headwyn

Number of posts : 2016
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 8057

PostSubject: Re: What are your fishing goals in 2009?   What are your fishing goals in 2009? EmptyFri Jan 02, 2009 11:59 pm

Im going to put the matches on the back burner over the summer months and try for some double figure fish off the shore.

Ive got a few species and venues in mind, and will hopefully have a couple of extra opportunities each month, due to an alteration to our Friday night shift in work.

Obvious targets are Conger and Huss, and theres always the possibility of a Ray. Rock fishing on the island at night, cant wait bounce
Back to top Go down
fairziff
Porbeagle Hunter
fairziff

PostSubject: Re: What are your fishing goals in 2009?   What are your fishing goals in 2009? EmptySat Jan 03, 2009 7:50 pm

Tony Lever wrote:
catch something out of the Marine Lake.

I'm with you on that one Tony!
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6098
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13635

PostSubject: Re: What are your fishing goals in 2009?   What are your fishing goals in 2009? EmptySat Jan 03, 2009 10:35 pm

To catch that special fish that right now is eyeing up its next meal and growing even bigger ...then pop it back for you to catch.
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

PostSubject: Re: What are your fishing goals in 2009?   What are your fishing goals in 2009? EmptySun Jan 04, 2009 9:45 pm

Gordon Evans Fishmonger wrote:
To catch a mullet in the foryd any one want to take up the challenge with me

You bet Gordon, gave it a few unsuccesful goes last year, sure up for another try and I bet there are a few others up for it too.
Back to top Go down
fairziff
Porbeagle Hunter
fairziff

PostSubject: Re: What are your fishing goals in 2009?   What are your fishing goals in 2009? EmptySun Jan 04, 2009 10:34 pm

I'm up for a Mullet hunt.

We've all heard annecdotal evidence but to have a picture of one of us holding 'the holy grail' is required.
Back to top Go down
headwyn
Sunnyrhyl Addict
Sunnyrhyl Addict
headwyn

PostSubject: Re: What are your fishing goals in 2009?   What are your fishing goals in 2009? EmptySun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Steve Andrews has said access to the new pontoon will be to skippers only on here somewhere, but if there was a chance of an organised Mullet bash further upstream ill be up for that!!!

Gordon, what stage of the tide do you get them there, or do they just pass through with the tide?
Back to top Go down
headwyn
Sunnyrhyl Addict
Sunnyrhyl Addict
headwyn

PostSubject: Re: What are your fishing goals in 2009?   What are your fishing goals in 2009? EmptyMon Jan 05, 2009 7:08 pm

That opens up a couple of possible methods that i dont think would work between the boats over low, so thanks for the info. cheers

Fly fishing and a small mepps spinner baited with harbour rag, for those who may be interested.
Back to top Go down
fairziff
Porbeagle Hunter
fairziff

PostSubject: Re: What are your fishing goals in 2009?   What are your fishing goals in 2009? EmptyMon Jan 05, 2009 9:23 pm

A Sunny Rhyl regular sent me a couple of rigs along with an accompanying DVD entitled 'The Mythical Mullet'.

What are your fishing goals in 2009? 24_06_2008_008

The DVD demonstrates it's use to good effect. Similar to Headwyn's suggestion, it is baited with a small section of Rag. The pennel hook keeps the bait presentation.

It's a larger setup than you would imagine, I think the bottom hook is a size 2, but it worked for the guy in the DVD.
Back to top Go down
fairziff
Porbeagle Hunter
fairziff

PostSubject: Re: What are your fishing goals in 2009?   What are your fishing goals in 2009? EmptyMon Jan 05, 2009 10:38 pm

Gordon Evans Fishmonger wrote:
How about we have go on the first off flood in the spring on a nice evening followed by a burger and beer at mine, i will get the barby out. All welcome

A great offer Very Happy

I'll be there Exclamation Exclamation
Back to top Go down
headwyn
Sunnyrhyl Addict
Sunnyrhyl Addict
headwyn

PostSubject: Re: What are your fishing goals in 2009?   What are your fishing goals in 2009? EmptyTue Jan 06, 2009 12:42 am

Lovely, cheers

Thank you very much! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

PostSubject: Re: What are your fishing goals in 2009?   What are your fishing goals in 2009? EmptyTue Jan 06, 2009 8:51 am

Excellent Gordon, I can't wait!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What are your fishing goals in 2009?   What are your fishing goals in 2009? EmptyTue Jan 06, 2009 12:05 pm

Thats a very kind offer Gordon.. bounce Very Happy Cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What are your fishing goals in 2009?   What are your fishing goals in 2009? EmptyThu Jan 15, 2009 10:30 pm

many things
- catch over 30 species (actually harder than you might think with my job)
- catch a mullet out of rhyl harbour (seen a photo of someone with one so it is possible) i can offer dinghy trips to people as well
- me and a friend are getting saltwater fly rods for bass, pollock etc
- get back into fly fishing. i really miss it, affording it is the biggest problem

if all else fails i'll go to gordons barby
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What are your fishing goals in 2009?   What are your fishing goals in 2009? EmptyWed Jul 15, 2009 8:53 pm

Tony Lever wrote:
How many of us have achieved them? not me.

Note to self: Must try harder.

managed half

started fly fishing again so there's one

got my 30 species and counting
mackerel, herring, sandeel, weever, dab, whiting, dogfish, tub/red/grey gurnard, cod, bream, corkwing/ballan wrasse, 3/5 bearded rockling, bass, plaice, flounder, silver eel, bullhuss, starry/common smoothound, sea sorpion, dragonet, pouting, poor cod, scad, thornback ray, rainbow trout (i'm sure i've missed something)

need to buy a saltwater fly rod and have a go at the mullet
Back to top Go down
fairziff
Porbeagle Hunter
fairziff

PostSubject: Re: What are your fishing goals in 2009?   What are your fishing goals in 2009? EmptyWed Jul 15, 2009 9:54 pm

simon parry wrote:

mackerel, herring, sandeel, weever, dab, whiting, dogfish, tub/red/grey gurnard, cod, bream, corkwing/ballan wrasse, 3/5 bearded rockling, bass, plaice, flounder, silver eel, bullhuss, starry/common smoothound, sea sorpion, dragonet, pouting, poor cod, scad, thornback ray, rainbow trout (i'm sure i've missed something)

Snake Pipefish?
Back to top Go down
fairziff
Porbeagle Hunter
fairziff

PostSubject: Re: What are your fishing goals in 2009?   What are your fishing goals in 2009? EmptyWed Jul 15, 2009 10:02 pm

Tony Lever wrote:
Drove past the Marine Lake tonight, doesn't look at all fishy.

Is the plug out?
Back to top Go down
headwyn
Sunnyrhyl Addict
Sunnyrhyl Addict
headwyn

PostSubject: Re: What are your fishing goals in 2009?   What are your fishing goals in 2009? EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 12:44 am

I wrote:
Im going to put the matches on the back burner over the summer months and try for some double figure fish off the shore.

Ive got a few species and venues in mind, and will hopefully have a couple of extra opportunities each month, due to an alteration to our Friday night shift in work.

Obvious targets are Conger and Huss, and theres always the possibility of a Ray. Rock fishing on the island at night, cant wait

Well, thanks to the Sea Angler launching the Penn Clubman league i have been roped into Colwyn Bay Red team and have fished a lot more matches than i planned, although im struggling to get any decent results at the moment. Autumn and Winter should put that right though and we are second in the country in last months edition so fingers crossed.

I still havent had a double, although ive had a couple of pbs this year including Conger and Huss, so ive not given up the hunt, and ive set myself another target of 30 species for the year. Im on 22 at the moment with a few bankers still to get so that should come off. Ive widened the scope to include the boats as well, which has been another bonus of this year so far, getting my sea legs cheers

Looking forward to the next 5 and a bit months to nail some of the above. cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What are your fishing goals in 2009?   What are your fishing goals in 2009? EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 6:18 am

I can't wait to get back on the pier for more nights with the Gang.

happy Days.

Smile Very Happy Very Happy Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What are your fishing goals in 2009?   What are your fishing goals in 2009? EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 7:27 pm

fairziff wrote:
simon parry wrote:

Snake Pipefish?

i'm not a jammy bugger like you
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What are your fishing goals in 2009?   What are your fishing goals in 2009? EmptyFri Jul 17, 2009 1:54 pm

ian40nw wrote:
simon parry wrote:
fairziff wrote:
simon parry wrote:

Snake Pipefish?

i'm not a jammy bugger like you

FFS Mike until today i thought there were only 3 types of fish ................flounder ,rockling and the odd small bass....thought i was doing well having caught them all now im gutted bloody showoff Laughing Laughing Laughing

get out on a boat from rhyl at the moment and your species list will shoot up
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What are your fishing goals in 2009?   What are your fishing goals in 2009? EmptyFri Jul 17, 2009 9:08 pm

[quote="ian40nw"][quote="simon parry"][quote="ian40nw"][quote="simon parry"]
fairziff wrote:
simon parry wrote:

get out on a boat from rhyl at the moment and your species list will shoot up

Great idea do you know of any good boats Laughing Laughing Laughing

only kidding Simon im dying to get back on a boat but has to be a short trip to see how my stomach copes pale

You big Wuss...

lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What are your fishing goals in 2009?   What are your fishing goals in 2009? EmptyFri Jul 17, 2009 9:18 pm

ian40nw wrote:
Havnt been on a boat since i was about 15 or 16 i think thats at least 5 yrs ago lol! want to do a short trip first, 8 hrs too long to feel sick

At least your honest mate.
Back to top Go down
fairziff
Porbeagle Hunter
fairziff

PostSubject: Re: What are your fishing goals in 2009?   What are your fishing goals in 2009? EmptyFri Jul 17, 2009 9:28 pm

ian40nw wrote:
Havnt been on a boat since i was about 15 or 16 i think thats at least 5 yrs ago lol! want to do a short trip first, 8 hrs too long to feel sick

How does a nice little 5hr inshore trip, fishing for Smoothound with the outside chance of a Bass.

Just fishing the end of the river so it will be as calm as you like.

8th August with Simon.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What are your fishing goals in 2009?   What are your fishing goals in 2009? EmptyFri Jul 17, 2009 9:36 pm

fairziff wrote:
ian40nw wrote:

How does a nice little 5hr inshore trip, fishing for Smoothound with the outside chance of a Bass.

Just fishing the end of the river so it will be as calm as you like.

8th August with Simon.

What time is it goin out mike
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are your fishing goals in 2009?   What are your fishing goals in 2009? Empty

Back to top Go down

What are your fishing goals in 2009?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next