4 posters
AuthorMessage
MusselMan
ADMIN
MusselMan

Number of posts : 1303
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7112

Something new spotted off the Isle of Man Empty
PostSubject: Something new spotted off the Isle of Man   Something new spotted off the Isle of Man EmptyMon Aug 29, 2022 5:35 pm

https://www.itv.com/news/granada/2022-08-29/endangered-swordfish-found-off-coast-for-the-first-time

Shocked thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6098
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13635

PostSubject: Re: Something new spotted off the Isle of Man   Something new spotted off the Isle of Man EmptyTue Aug 30, 2022 8:55 pm

makes you wonder what else is going to show up!

Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

Number of posts : 1705
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 4951

PostSubject: Re: Something new spotted off the Isle of Man   Something new spotted off the Isle of Man EmptyWed Aug 31, 2022 9:52 am

With the weather and tempertures changing who knows wht we will see.
I was on a fishing trip out of Penzance a few years ago,and there was a massive Sunfish cruising around the boat.
Haha,as the saying goes,I think I might need a bigger boat lol!
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

Number of posts : 1705
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 4951

PostSubject: Re: Something new spotted off the Isle of Man   Something new spotted off the Isle of Man EmptyWed Aug 31, 2022 9:57 am

MusselMan wrote:
https://www.itv.com/news/granada/2022-08-29/endangered-swordfish-found-off-coast-for-the-first-time

Shocked thumbs up

I believe the isle of man are experimenting with no fishing zones.
They restrict an area for a while to give the fish chance to multiply,and then open the area back up and move to a different area.
From some reports,it's working well.
Back to top Go down
Rhod Lloyd
Fishing Addict
Rhod Lloyd

Number of posts : 617
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6468

PostSubject: Re: Something new spotted off the Isle of Man   Something new spotted off the Isle of Man EmptyTue Sep 13, 2022 6:51 am

Broadbill swordfish are a prime target gamefish in NZ, mostly caught offshore in up to 500m of water, mostly over rocks or drop offs usually using squid for bait. a few are caught while trolling surface lures for striped marlin. they can get up to 250 kg so serious tackle needed.
There is a historic fishery for them in the Mediterranean sea, they used to spot them from the cliffs then signal a boat to chase them and spear them. mostly only caught out further these days, I think it was in Sicily they have boats with a tower for spotting the fish and a long bow spit gangway to get above the fish for the spearman.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=swordfish+boats+in+sicily&qpvt=swordfish+boats+in+Sicily&tsc=ImageHoverTitle&form=IGRE&first=1

I don't know if you remember the film "The Perfect Storm", about the swordfish boats working the Grand Banks off Newfoundland, another fishery like the cod nearly wiped out by overfishing.
I have only seen one broadbill that was brought in to a local wharf for weighing, it looked about 200 kg
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Something new spotted off the Isle of Man   Something new spotted off the Isle of Man Empty

Back to top Go down

Something new spotted off the Isle of Man
Page 1 of 1