5 posters
AuthorMessage
Rhod Lloyd
Fishing Addict
Rhod Lloyd

Number of posts : 617
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6462

White Island, east coast New Zealand north island Empty
PostSubject: White Island, east coast New Zealand north island   White Island, east coast New Zealand north island EmptyFri May 08, 2020 6:39 am

This was a fishing trip, but an interesting trip as well. All the photos are scanned from prints. For some reason I don't have a picture of the whole island. Look on Google and Google Earth for photos and more information. 

White Island is an active volcano 50km off the east coast of NZ. I am sure you remember about the eruption last year when there were about 50 tourists from a cruise ship on the island. 21 people were killed and many others suffered horrible burns from a mixture of steam, ash and sulfuric acid twice as strong as battery acid, they described one victim as only having 2 handprint sized patches not burnt on their body.
The island is mostly quiet with only steam from the crater lake and sulfur vents, but can erupt violently with an ash cloud high in the air.
It has always been a tourist destination from Whakatane by boat and helicopter, but this had become more popular recently with so many cruise ships in our waters, the Maori owners had publicised the trip and charged $100 a person to land there, supplying hard hats and breathing masks and a guide but not much else.
Our earthquake warning system monitors all areas of NZ but especially known hot spots, the Islands activity had been raised from a normal 1/ risk to a 2/ risk (out of 5) a few days before the eruption.

White Island, east coast New Zealand north island White_17

About 20 years ago a group of us booked deep sea fishing charters around the North Island. One was to the waters around white island  and it's associated reefs for 4 days, usually overnighting at white for shelter and to catch bait fish including flying fish which came to the boat lights at night, a quick scoop with a landing net sometimes worked.

White Island, east coast New Zealand north island White_13

One day the skipper asked if some of us wanted to land on the island and have a look around, so we were offloaded on to a piece of concrete with careful boat manoevering for each of us.

White Island, east coast New Zealand north island White_12

No safety equipment, just what we were wearing at the time, no guide or advice, just be back in an hour. This is an interesting photo as it has similar errosion patterns as mountain ranges seen from above

White Island, east coast New Zealand north island White_11

I have seen most of the thermal areas around NZ, but this was so different, a complete absence of life in the crater area, just steam, sulfur and bare earth. There is some scrubby growth on the outside of the crater.

White Island, east coast New Zealand north island White_15

The nerd with a beard was me (closer to my prime) the crater lake could just be seen through the steam about 30 feet down. Before last years eruption it was nearly full.

White Island, east coast New Zealand north island White_14

White Island, east coast New Zealand north island White_16

This was the trip I caught the big bass, and this is the catch we took home for the 4 days. We spent a bit of time catching Kingfish on jigs, most of these were released.
Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Marlin Hunter
Kirky's Dad

Number of posts : 2861
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7841

PostSubject: Re: White Island, east coast New Zealand north island   White Island, east coast New Zealand north island EmptyFri May 08, 2020 9:21 am

That was some trip Rhod. How long ago was that? I bet you wouldn't do the same today after what happened it was all over the press here in Briton. With a bit of luck we might be aloud to go out fishing next week as it looks as though some of the restrictions maybe lifted but we won't know till Sunday. boat cth fishing fish ice cth
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6098
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13629

PostSubject: Re: White Island, east coast New Zealand north island   White Island, east coast New Zealand north island EmptyFri May 08, 2020 1:04 pm

Thanks for that memory Rhod, very interesting.

On the monitoring of earthquake activity the UK lockdown with far less traffic and industrial activity shows up in the seismology activity monitoring!
Back to top Go down
MusselMan
ADMIN
MusselMan

Number of posts : 1303
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7106

PostSubject: Re: White Island, east coast New Zealand north island   White Island, east coast New Zealand north island EmptyFri May 08, 2020 1:42 pm

No guide or advice - I am guessing you had paid for the trip in full up front then Laughing
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

Number of posts : 6951
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13881

PostSubject: Re: White Island, east coast New Zealand north island   White Island, east coast New Zealand north island EmptySun May 17, 2020 9:17 am

Now that's a brilliant fishing trip Rhod cheers
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

Number of posts : 6951
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13881

PostSubject: Re: White Island, east coast New Zealand north island   White Island, east coast New Zealand north island EmptySun May 17, 2020 9:17 am

MusselMan wrote:

No guide or advice - I am guessing you had paid for the trip in full up front then Laughing

lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: White Island, east coast New Zealand north island   White Island, east coast New Zealand north island Empty

Back to top Go down

White Island, east coast New Zealand north island
Page 1 of 1