6 posters
AuthorMessage
Rhod Lloyd
Fishing Addict
Rhod Lloyd

Number of posts : 617
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6478

Vava'u Tonga final. Empty
PostSubject: Vava'u Tonga final.   Vava'u Tonga final. EmptySun Jan 12, 2020 1:40 am

Sorry for the delay in ending this saga. The last day's fishing was the Friday, A quiet day for all, with only 2 yellowfin and a few mahimahi caught, our team Green Machine had a good lead at the start of the day,, and I was 25 points /Kg behind the individual leader.
No strikes for the morning despite trolling around some impressive bird and small tuna action. the afternoon saw plenty of Mahimahi looking at or just hitting the lures, then Pete took the chair for a big Mahi over 20 Kg which after a few minutes jumped and threw the hook.
The team decided that as I was close to lead angler ($1000 prize) any small fish hooked I would take them. We caught 2 small Mahi, for a total of 17 kg just 6 kg from winning.
For the team prize there was some anxiety as our closest rivals hooked a yellowfin, "tragically" it was bitten by a shark near the boat and so disqualified.
Missed out on the individual prize, but won the team one. As we had backed ourselves to win we colected $1200 between 3 of us from winner takes all (calcutta) and Marcus who backed the winning boat / skipper colected $1700 for himself

Vava'u Tonga final. Img_5913

The perpetual Trophy in whalebone

Vava'u Tonga final. Img_5914

We each won a wooden trophy to take home, plus a years subscription to Fishing News magazine.

We were due to leave for the airport at 3 pm, so after packing I had aranged to take Harry and his Grandmother kayaking to the nearby Lolomea island, A small steep hill 1km up the harbour.
The Island had been a military base I presume during WW2, but for some reason refurbished in 1981

Vava'u Tonga final. Img_5917

Vava'u Tonga final. Img_5916

One of 6 accomodation huts with kitchen and washrooms

Vava'u Tonga final. Img_5915

Generator near the wharf

Vava'u Tonga final. Img_5918

Boys will be boys, Harry "racing" hermit crabs on the wharf

Vava'u Tonga final. Img_5919

Misspelt concrete plaque on the wharf. The wiring and switches in the huts is consistent with the 1980s

I cannot find any information about the island or the military base, I did ask before I left but no information known at the resort, and I could not find anything online either from the war or later. More research needed!
Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Marlin Hunter
Kirky's Dad

Number of posts : 2866
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7862

PostSubject: Re: Vava'u Tonga final.   Vava'u Tonga final. EmptySun Jan 12, 2020 8:26 am

Thanks for another good report. That was one good trip well done.boatcth
Back to top Go down
congerman1962
Tope Hunter

Number of posts : 1317
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6690

PostSubject: Re: Vava'u Tonga final.   Vava'u Tonga final. EmptySun Jan 12, 2020 9:08 am

Nice pictures and an interesting post thanks for sharing it
Back to top Go down
squidward
Tope Hunter
squidward

Number of posts : 1096
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7224

PostSubject: Re: Vava'u Tonga final.   Vava'u Tonga final. EmptySun Jan 12, 2020 3:24 pm

A great series of reports Rhod, I`m not jealous at all You`re going to wake up one day and realise it was all a dream and you`re sitting in the rain catching pin whiting just like us. lol!
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6107
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13660

PostSubject: Re: Vava'u Tonga final.   Vava'u Tonga final. EmptySun Jan 12, 2020 6:27 pm

Quite some adventure you had.
Great stuff!
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

Number of posts : 6951
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13897

PostSubject: Re: Vava'u Tonga final.   Vava'u Tonga final. EmptyMon Jan 13, 2020 6:23 am

Love those trophies I love you
Great report and photos cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vava'u Tonga final.   Vava'u Tonga final. Empty

Back to top Go down

Vava'u Tonga final.
Page 1 of 1