AuthorMessage
Logger
Hunter
Logger

Number of posts : 6951
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13894

On the Way Home Empty
PostSubject: On the Way Home   On the Way Home EmptySat Sep 14, 2019 8:39 pm

On the way home from work today I stopped off at 'the' pond for an hours unwinding in the sunshine...

On the Way Home 20190911

Watching the fish swim all around my float but not taking any interest in the tasty sweetcorn bait beneath it was very relaxing but also very frustrating at the same time 😬

On the Way Home 20190912
(Could start a Spot the Float competition lol)

After countless efforts of trying different spots along the bank and various depths ranging from floating a bait on the surface to having one right on the bottom I eventually found the fish feeding at about three foot below the surface fish thumbs up

On the Way Home 20190913

Once again no monsters but the little Rudd really do give a good account of themselves on light gear  fishing

On the Way Home 20190914

It didn't really matter if I caught or not on a nice sunny day like today as it was a treat just to be out in such a lovely spot  sunny

All said and done though I did catch  lol!  bye
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

Number of posts : 1713
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 4970

On the Way Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: On the Way Home   On the Way Home EmptySun Sep 15, 2019 12:56 am

I've been waiting for you to go back there, the place looks great.
Sounds like it's a bait choice that will get the fish.
You could try a barrel lead sliding ledger on the bottom,with a shot about 18" up the line to act as a bolt rig.
The problem with sweetcorn is it takes time for the fish to realise what it is.Maybe a worm would do it instead.
I suppose if it's a quick session,you haven't had chance to get the right bait.If you throw in some groundbait and then fish a paste bait made out of the same stuff,it might work.
Keep us posted lol!
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

On the Way Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: On the Way Home   On the Way Home EmptySun Sep 15, 2019 8:15 am

I'm told the fish in the pics could be Roach Rudd hybrids 🤔
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

On the Way Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: On the Way Home   On the Way Home EmptySun Sep 15, 2019 1:19 pm

Personally,I have never heard of Roach/Rudd hybrids,of course I suppose it may be possible.
The bottom jaw on a Rudd protrudes out because it's a surface feeder,and the fins are red.
That one in the pics looks like it could be a roach.
Usually,if there are small Rudd,there will be some big ones as well,especially seeing the water is virtually untouched.
I think if you go up there with enough time and an assortment of baits
and try a running ledger and a float as well, you would be in for some nice surprises.
I've just set one of my rods up with a bubble float and a leader to try floating crust.It's not easy to cast floating crust very far,but if you use a bubble float with a freeline leader on it,you could cast a long way,and use floating crust.
Bigger hook sizes might be handy if you get Carp slurping the bread off the top.
Have you plumbed the depth? There could be some monsters way down deep.If you use a running ledger,leave you drag off until you get a run,a little monkey climber on the line one ring up from your reel will help to indicate a bite.(a bit of tinfoil/baking foil will do)
When the weather is a bit iffy,I have a pop up toilet tent to sit in,it's up in seconds,and folds up dead easy.Saves having all the tent and stuff to set up.
Keep us posted lol!
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6106
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13656

On the Way Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: On the Way Home   On the Way Home EmptySun Sep 15, 2019 6:13 pm

Magic!
That first photo makes it look like a fishing hole of the Gods!
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6106
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13656

On the Way Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: On the Way Home   On the Way Home EmptySun Sep 15, 2019 6:19 pm

Roach/Rudd hybrids are defintely a widely distributed thing.
What I hadn't heard of before googling this is  roach crossing with chub and bream.
In a closed pond system I guess crosses could be even more likely?
In the article I read there was speculation about 4 way crosses but I though hybrids were sterile?
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

On the Way Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: On the Way Home   On the Way Home EmptySun Sep 15, 2019 6:35 pm

Notbad wrote:
Roach/Rudd hybrids are defintely a widely distributed thing.
What I hadn't heard of before googling this is  roach crossing with chub and bream.
In a closed pond system I guess crosses could be even more likely?
In the article I read there was speculation about 4 way crosses but I though hybrids were sterile?
I've caught hybrid roach and bream,never seen a chub hybrid though.

If we could find a pill so we could shrink Paul,we could hide in Dave's backpac next time he goes. lol!
So long as he has been to specsavers,and he doesn't use us as bait. rolling laugh
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

On the Way Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: On the Way Home   On the Way Home EmptySun Sep 15, 2019 7:11 pm

VALVEBOUNCE wrote:

So long as he has been to specsavers,and he doesn't use us as bait. rolling laugh

I want to catch them not choke them lol!
Back to top Go down
stevo
Swordfish Hunter
stevo

Number of posts : 3613
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 9928

On the Way Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: On the Way Home   On the Way Home EmptySun Sep 15, 2019 7:42 pm

Great report Dave looks a lovely place fishing

I've only ever caught Roach/Bream hybrids but they do look to
me like Roach/Rudd hybrids thumbs up

A tope crossed with a conger would be an interesting one lol!
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

On the Way Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: On the Way Home   On the Way Home EmptySun Sep 15, 2019 7:44 pm

lol!
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

On the Way Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: On the Way Home   On the Way Home EmptyMon Sep 16, 2019 2:48 am

Does the pond have a feeder stream in and out?
If it does there could be some big brownies in there.
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

On the Way Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: On the Way Home   On the Way Home EmptyMon Sep 16, 2019 5:50 am

Its fed by a small stream and exits through a dam Exclamation
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

On the Way Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: On the Way Home   On the Way Home EmptyMon Sep 16, 2019 9:24 am

If you want to win 'Fish of the Month' this month you will need to get up there with the right tackle. lol!

I can almost guarantee here will be some big wild Brownies in there.
They have probably got huge because they have been feeding on the plentiful supply of small fish.
Not everybodies cup of tea,but they would snatch at a live bait on a size 8-10 hook.
I have used Minnows on a local small river,the chub and Trout go mad on them.(4lb Chub--3lb brownies)You hook the livebait thro' the top lip well in front of the eyes.
They will take spinners and lures.
There could be some 'Daddy Pike' lurking in there as well.
If you use ground bait,it will draw the small fish in,and the big ones will be attracted and follow them in.
You have found a fishermans dream.
Keep us posted lol!
Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Marlin Hunter
Kirky's Dad

Number of posts : 2865
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7858

On the Way Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: On the Way Home   On the Way Home EmptyTue Sep 17, 2019 4:34 pm

It does look lovely well done Dave.fishing:http://www.for:http://www.for:http://www.for
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

On the Way Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: On the Way Home   On the Way Home Empty

Back to top Go down

On the Way Home
Page 1 of 1