7 posters
AuthorMessage
Rhod Lloyd
Fishing Addict
Rhod Lloyd

Number of posts : 617
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6478

2 trips to the rock Empty
PostSubject: 2 trips to the rock   2 trips to the rock EmptyFri Oct 12, 2018 6:05 am

A bit of history, the west coast snapper fishery was hammered in the 1970 and 80s by mostly foreign pair trawlers, as the stock plummeted this was stopped' and there was reduced effort by the NZ fleet. The stock sat at a low level for years, but for some reason over the last 5 years things have improved.
We do not see the trawlers on the horizon now. I have also learnt that the best fishing for snapper is when it is rough. Because there is a huge distance for the swells to build we get a pulsing swell often 2 to 4 feet while you have to be carefull of the big sets it is mostly the 2 ft ones coming through every 16 seconds or so.

Tuesday 2nd after picking Judy up from town I arrived at 11-30 just as a mate pulled a 3kg snapper up. I was soon into it and after missing the first bite, the second came up solid, a couple of minutes later he helped me pull a 3.9 kg snapper up, soon followed by a 2.6 and a 2.3 all in exelent spring condition

2 trips to the rock Img_5313

Then near high an hour later it went dead.
The next trip Wed 10th I was there about 3 hours before high with a 3 to 4ft swell but easing. It was too stirred at the front of the rock and likely to get nasty as the tide rose, so I opted to fish an area of calmer water from the side of the rock, and they were there.
I ended with 3 kept, and 6 released, also broken off by 2 good ones on the rock.
It was chalenging to say the least with water frequently around my knees but without any power to it, The waves kindly floated the fish on to the rock.
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

Number of posts : 6951
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13897

PostSubject: Re: 2 trips to the rock   2 trips to the rock EmptyFri Oct 12, 2018 6:45 am

Nice session cth
What do you use for bait Question
Besides car keys Laughing
Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Marlin Hunter
Kirky's Dad

Number of posts : 2866
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7862

PostSubject: Re: 2 trips to the rock   2 trips to the rock EmptyFri Oct 12, 2018 9:13 am

Another good report Rhod well done. cheers
Back to top Go down
squidward
Tope Hunter
squidward

Number of posts : 1096
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7224

PostSubject: Re: 2 trips to the rock   2 trips to the rock EmptySat Oct 13, 2018 9:23 am

Great fishing Rhod. it must be so boring living there where there`s no pin whiting and little doggies.
lol!
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6107
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13660

PostSubject: Re: 2 trips to the rock   2 trips to the rock EmptySat Oct 13, 2018 11:11 am

Keys make good bait in lochs
Back to top Go down
Rhod Lloyd
Fishing Addict
Rhod Lloyd

Number of posts : 617
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6478

PostSubject: Re: 2 trips to the rock   2 trips to the rock EmptySat Oct 13, 2018 8:43 pm

I forgot to add that on the first trip I saw one Hectors dolphin, but someone else saw two. The ones we get here are rare now and seem to be a sub group of more common ones at the bottom of the south island. Coservation groups have named ours Maui's dolphin after a Mauri god of the sea for public awareness. They are distinctive, only 4 feet long and an inshore species. We are asked to report sightings to our Department of Conservation, at the park office I reported them to a member of the international Sea Sheperd group as he happened to be on site.

2 trips to the rock Th110

On the second trip there was a baby fur seal only 2 feet or so swimming around the rock.
Back to top Go down
squidward
Tope Hunter
squidward

Number of posts : 1096
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7224

PostSubject: Re: 2 trips to the rock   2 trips to the rock EmptySun Oct 14, 2018 9:14 am

Notbad wrote:
Keys make good bait in lochs

rolling laugh rolling laugh

Back to top Go down
headwyn
Sunnyrhyl Addict
Sunnyrhyl Addict
headwyn

Number of posts : 2016
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 8067

PostSubject: Re: 2 trips to the rock   2 trips to the rock EmptySun Oct 14, 2018 4:45 pm

Nice work Rhod thumbs up
Back to top Go down
stevo
Swordfish Hunter
stevo

Number of posts : 3613
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 9931

PostSubject: Re: 2 trips to the rock   2 trips to the rock EmptyFri Oct 19, 2018 10:01 pm

Great read Rhod thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2 trips to the rock   2 trips to the rock Empty

Back to top Go down

2 trips to the rock
Page 1 of 1