sunnyrhyl.forumotion.com

Stay Alert, Stay Safe!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Sonik

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Sonik Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sonik   Sonik EmptySun Dec 17, 2017 12:20 am

Prior to job loss I got myself a Sonik SKS Black 13ft, used it a few times. Ty Croes, no probs pulling 4 mackerel or PB wrasse and doggies up the little cliff. Seems a belter of a rod, strange thing is....Not sure if it's me being used to other rods but I can't get the extra casting distance I was expecting . Been using Shakespeare sigma and Europa 12foot or carp rods lol
Just thought I would have got a little further, reels are a little lower on line so maybe that. Will put fresh in and see if there is any difference.
Back to top Go down
Rhod Lloyd
Fishing Addict
Rhod Lloyd

Number of posts : 617
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6479

Sonik Empty
PostSubject: Sonik   Sonik EmptySun Dec 17, 2017 4:35 am

I presume you are using fixed spool reels, if so how close to the spool lip the line is can make a big difference to cast length. Friction on the spool rim plus the coils being thrown out further and having to be gathered in by the first rod ring are problems with a part empty spool.
There are a growing number of surf casters here using braid for this reason, but I hate it for crowded places as a tangle if only one has braid can be a problem, with two a nightmare, especially at night
Back to top Go down

Sonik Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sonik   Sonik EmptySun Dec 17, 2017 6:03 pm

Cheers, will top up before my next session.
Back to top Go down
Rhod Lloyd
Fishing Addict
Rhod Lloyd

Sonik Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sonik   Sonik EmptySun Dec 17, 2017 8:40 pm

Cheers Simon, before I preach to the allready converted, do you know how to top up line without having a knot to give you grief when casting
Back to top Go down

Sonik Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sonik   Sonik EmptySun Dec 17, 2017 9:20 pm

I have no idea, was just going to take a bit more of the old stuff off and load enough on so it doesn't get to a knot. Never done it before.
Back to top Go down
Rhod Lloyd
Fishing Addict
Rhod Lloyd

Sonik Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sonik   Sonik EmptyMon Dec 18, 2017 9:35 am

There are a couple of options, if the line is old or had a lot of use, if you can, replace it. The cheapest and best option is to get it done at a tackle store, from bulk line, they should do the job properly
I find that most of a spool of line never gets used, so why replace all of it, pull off about a third or half, tie on the new line with a good knot, check on the net if you are not sure, The knot may never see daylight, but then the fish of a lifetime may expose it. Wind the new line on tightly, up to about 1mm from the spool lip, do this well in advance of a fishing trip so that the new line adjusts to the shape of the spool and does not fly off in coils when you do the first cast.
If you just want to top up the spool with less than 100m of new line, tie the new line on with a temporary knot, and fill to the right level, then take off this new line, cut the knot, then take off a third or half the old line, cut it, tie on the new bit of line then tie on the old piece and you should end up with your old line at the right level.
I allways keep a few old spools on hand and have a small hand operated grindstone and fit them on this, only the brave use a power drill!
alternatively find a fence or open ground tie the end of the line to something and walk the line off, this will give you tension when you wind it on again. When taking new line off a spool, allways take the line off as if it is a wheel turning not in coils as come off your reel spool.
If other members have any bright ideas, please help Simon here, or show him how you would do it, Rhod
Back to top Go down

Sonik Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sonik   Sonik EmptyFri Feb 09, 2018 10:14 am

Hi Rhod, took the line quite far back as to never have the not leave the reels. Watched a youtube video on how to tie the knot and hey presto! Was a lot simpler than I imagined, neat knot too (if I do say so myself) Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sonik Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sonik   Sonik Empty

Back to top Go down

Sonik
Page 1 of 1