6 posters
AuthorMessage
Logger
Hunter
Logger

Number of posts : 6951
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13902

Damsel in Distress  Empty
PostSubject: Damsel in Distress    Damsel in Distress  EmptySun Oct 08, 2017 10:09 am

Craiglwyd Springs 7.10.17

By 10am the mornings rain had stopped leaving the mountains behind Penmeanmawr shrouded in a mist that rolled across the tops momentarily revealing the rocky outcrops and their white woolly occupants which were feeding precariously on the steep sided slopes, a beautiful background to the lake where I was to experience my first go at fly fishing Very Happy

My instructor with 40yrs experience under his belt was the ever redoubtable Joker, a man who I greatly respect for his skill in all types of fishing and his willingness to share his knowledge while at the same time being completely nuts and barking mad lol!

After a visit to the post office to buy a licence for the day I met up with Joe at Penmeanmawr and jumped in his van to travel the short distance to the lake where we started off with half an hour of casting instruction using just the line without a fly in case I managed to hook myself, personally I think he was more worried about his own preservation lol!

Where's the bail arm  Question

Damsel in Distress  20171043

Once I'd gained a moderation of the skill required to successfully get the line into the water and not wrapped around me Joe added the fly Cool

A Gold Head Damsel was the first one I used

Damsel in Distress  20171026

With continued efforts on Joe's part I was finally managing to get the line into the water in a straight line instead of looking like a coil of telephone wire although from time to time I did end up with a bit of a bird's nest Embarassed

After an hour of tuition the boss left me to it and took up his own rod and it wasn't long before he was into a fish Very Happy

Damsel in Distress  20171028

Damsel in Distress  20171030

What's the polite word for smug git  study  rolling laugh

I was still thrashing away and tying myself in loops trying desperately to suppress the urge of reverting to beach casting when Joe hooked into another fish which danced all across the surface in a magnificent display going from left to right and completely leaving the water before spitting the hook..... Shame  rolling laugh

Then five minutes later he was holding his second fish  cth

Damsel in Distress  20171032

I decided to change my fly to a Damsel Fritz which wouldn't  have looked out of place in Santa's grotto  santa

Damsel in Distress  20171034

By now I had learnt to check I wasnt actually standing on the line before casting (most important it would seem What a Face  ) and was slowly perfecting the art and thoroughly enjoying the feeling of getting the timing correct on each cast until the final one when I'd either not left myself enough line out to allow the line to land smoothly on the water or panicked when I saw the fly heading straight towards my face and ruined the timing by flicking it back out as soon as possible which always resulted in the line going slack and ending up a total flop Neutral

As I was gaining confidence and a little more distance Joe landed his third  Very Happy

Damsel in Distress  20171035

The arm was beginning to ache a little now, a rest was in order so I poured us both a coffee from the flask and the choccy bics were opened up pig
I also decided to change the fish repellent Christmas cracker for a floating foam Beatle which would stay on the surface and hopefully attract a bite or two as it drifted around.

Damsel in Distress  20171037

The change of tactics soon paid off with a big splash and a lunge the Rainbow Trout took the Beatle and made off across the water taking me totally by surprise and putting a hell of a bend in the rod Hooray
Struggling to keep the line tight as the fish darted this way and that in an attempt to escape I brought him in to the bank where Joe was waiting with the net bom

Got him Rock on

Damsel in Distress  20171036

party

As my casting improved so did my confidence and so did the distance but alas I didn't manage to hook or even tempt another fish unlike Joe who caught another two fish

Damsel in Distress  20171040

The rain had moved back in and was getting steadily heavier so it was a good time to pack up, besides the choccy bics would get soggy geek

Damsel in Distress  20171045

Thanks for a great day out Joe I can't wait to go again Hooray
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Damsel in Distress    Damsel in Distress  EmptySun Oct 08, 2017 10:17 am

Anytime mate
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Damsel in Distress    Damsel in Distress  EmptySun Oct 08, 2017 12:14 pm

Well done gentlmen.  Some nice fish a new skill set Dave  cth
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6108
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13666

PostSubject: Re: Damsel in Distress    Damsel in Distress  EmptySun Oct 08, 2017 3:25 pm

Sounds like when my bruv takes me for a session thrashing the water!

Great read!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Damsel in Distress    Damsel in Distress  EmptySun Oct 08, 2017 4:43 pm

Great report and pictures.

I've never felt the urge to try fly fishing, but you may have just convinced me otherwise.

There's a trout fishery very close to where I live, but for some reason you're not allowed to fly fish, only float or ledger.
Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Marlin Hunter
Kirky's Dad

Number of posts : 2866
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7867

PostSubject: Re: Damsel in Distress    Damsel in Distress  EmptySun Oct 08, 2017 8:06 pm

Well done on a great report the smile says it all. cth party
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

PostSubject: Re: Damsel in Distress    Damsel in Distress  EmptySun Oct 08, 2017 8:13 pm

Kingfisher wrote:
Great report and pictures.

I've never felt the urge to try fly fishing, but you may have just convinced me otherwise.

There's a trout fishery very close to where I live, but for some reason you're not allowed to fly fish, only float or ledger.
Worried about passers by perhaps Question
I actually caught myself in the back of the head once but luckily it got my hood lol! affraid
Back to top Go down
stevo
Swordfish Hunter
stevo

Number of posts : 3613
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 9936

PostSubject: Re: Damsel in Distress    Damsel in Distress  EmptySun Oct 08, 2017 8:19 pm

Great stuff chaps cracking trout thumbs up
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Damsel in Distress    Damsel in Distress  EmptySun Oct 08, 2017 8:21 pm

Worried about passers by perhaps Question wrote:

Ah never thought of that. I think you may be right, it is very close to a pathway.
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

PostSubject: Re: Damsel in Distress    Damsel in Distress  EmptySun Oct 08, 2017 8:22 pm

Kingfisher wrote:

Ah never thought of that. I think you may be right, it is very close to a pathway.
I'm not just a pretty face you know What a Face lol!
No comments rolling laugh
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

Number of posts : 1717
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 4984

PostSubject: Re: Damsel in Distress    Damsel in Distress  EmptySun Oct 08, 2017 9:20 pm

Logger wrote:
Kingfisher wrote:

I'm not just a pretty face you know What a Face lol!
No comments rolling laugh

Haha,you've already admitted it lol!

A good day,and you caught a fish,not a bad day out in my opinion.
It's like Mary said "You need to get the rythum man" rolling laugh
Back to top Go down
Dyl
Pollock Hunter
Dyl

Number of posts : 105
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 2752

PostSubject: Re: Damsel in Distress    Damsel in Distress  EmptyFri Oct 13, 2017 10:59 pm

Great report. Looks like u had a good day out with the added bonus of a fish cheers
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

PostSubject: Re: Damsel in Distress    Damsel in Distress  EmptyFri Oct 13, 2017 11:14 pm

Dyl wrote:
Great report. Looks like u had a good day out with the added  bonus of a fish cheers
A great day cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Damsel in Distress    Damsel in Distress  Empty

Back to top Go down

Damsel in Distress
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
sunnyrhyl.forumotion.com :: Fresh Water Fishing :: Fresh Water Fishing Reports and Chat-
Jump to: