sunnyrhyl.forumotion.com

Stay Alert, Stay Safe!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Huss fishing.............whats the appeal??

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Huss fishing.............whats the appeal?? Empty
PostSubject: Huss fishing.............whats the appeal??   Huss fishing.............whats the appeal?? EmptyTue Jun 06, 2017 9:19 pm

As a newbie to sea angling, could someone please enlighten me to the fascination with trying to catch these large dogfish? confused

I see the latter seems to be despised as a nuisance fish, yet conversely, people seem to go to great lengths to catch the bigger versions, often travelling many miles and braving the elements, to sit on an Angelsey rock mark in the dead of night, just to catch one and throw it back. I have heard they don't fight and that no one eats them ( despite them being sometimes sold in fish and chips shops so I believe. )

The idea of having to use a broom stick of a rod, just to haul something out of the sea that fights like a sack of spuds, and then to not even eat it............hardly seems like sport?  I notice that all reports about huss fishing, seem to show exact weights of each fish, so I guess the appeal is like carp fishing, in trying to out do others with the biggest fish?

There seems to be enough of them about, so why don't people take the odd one home? Before we get the sentimental zealots out, remember its cruel to only target fish to throw all of them back Smile
Back to top Go down
headwyn
Sunnyrhyl Addict
Sunnyrhyl Addict
headwyn

Number of posts : 2016
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 8065

PostSubject: Re: Huss fishing.............whats the appeal??   Huss fishing.............whats the appeal?? EmptyTue Jun 06, 2017 10:03 pm

Huss do fight, as can doggies if targeted with the right gear.

Huss are also one of the larger species that can be regularly caught without too much effort locally and getting them to not spit the bait is a challenge in itself, as it is off the boats.

The same tactics employed to catch Huss are also likely to yield various types of Ray and maybe Conger too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Huss fishing.............whats the appeal??   Huss fishing.............whats the appeal?? EmptySat Jun 10, 2017 9:43 pm

colwader wrote:
As a newbie to sea angling, could someone please enlighten me to the fascination with trying to catch these large dogfish? confused

I see the latter seems to be despised as a nuisance fish, yet conversely, people seem to go to great lengths to catch the bigger versions, often travelling many miles and braving the elements, to sit on an Angelsey rock mark in the dead of night, just to catch one and throw it back. I have heard they don't fight and that no one eats them ( despite them being sometimes sold in fish and chips shops so I believe. )

The idea of having to use a broom stick of a rod, just to haul something out of the sea that fights like a sack of spuds, and then to not even eat it............hardly seems like sport?  I notice that all reports about huss fishing, seem to show exact weights of each fish, so I guess the appeal is like carp fishing, in trying to out do others with the biggest fish?

There seems to be enough of them about, so why don't people take the odd one home? Before we get the sentimental zealots out, remember its cruel to only target fish to throw all of them back Smile

I don't think there's a big fascination with huss, people might target them because they're a decent sized fish to catch and they actually put up a half decent fight on the right type of gear, I don't know where you've heard that they don't put up a good fight from?? As a newbie, and as you say, there's enough of them about, Why don't you challenge yourself to a)catching one, and b)eating one, and let us all know how you get on, I've never tried them, I couldn't be bothered skinning them Wink standard beach gear will land a decent sized huss, I haven't come across an angler that uses a broom stick as a rod since the 90's   Rolling Eyes that's very old school these days, a lot people use lighter gear continental rods etc
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Huss fishing.............whats the appeal??   Huss fishing.............whats the appeal?? EmptySun Jun 11, 2017 10:08 am

Oh dear
It may be a case that sea fishing is not for you.....
If your asking any questions then please do but dont moan at the same time
Maybe if you could do a report on your next session about where when state of tide bait and rigs what fish or even if its a blank
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Huss fishing.............whats the appeal??   Huss fishing.............whats the appeal?? EmptySun Jun 11, 2017 10:19 am

Have you ever actually caught one yourself? Like kev and dan have said its using the right gear. Nothing fights on an old fashioned broomstick type of rod. I've had people on the boat land 40lb+ tope and they've barely put a bend in those types of rods. We got a lot of huss on the boats and they can reach a good weight. Yesterday i had novices on and they were pulling them up one after another, quite a few doubles and the biggest 15lb 1oz. They absolutely loved it because they were good size fish, that look lovely and gave them a good fight. Now imagine the achievement of catching something like that from the shore. With regards to eating, a lot of people do take them and have said they're lovely to eat, I'm not really a fan of eating fish so couldn't tell you but I find a lot of people ask about eating them and then decide it looks too nice a fish to kill so have a photo and put them back to fight another day. Why don't you go and try it, you might enjoy it
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Huss fishing.............whats the appeal??   Huss fishing.............whats the appeal?? EmptySun Jun 11, 2017 10:04 pm

No I have not caught a Huss yet, that is why I am asking.

Coming from a flyfishing background, believe me, lots of sea anglers are using broomsticks...........fly anglers catch fish like sea trout and salmon that fight as hard as any uk sea fish, on very light rods compared to what sea anglers use. I think even some of these continental rods designed for uk, are still broomsticks. I bought a pen rampage surf rod, and its too stiff and heavy, despite this being seen as a continental style rod! For me, anything heavier than a carp/spinning rod for sea fishing, is a broomstick!

I have read from well known sea anglers, that Huss are not renowned fighters. They might be a heavy weight to lift out of the water, but do they fight well? I am guessing the answer is no. As for you saying they look beautiful, they just look like a huge dogfish to me.

Sorry, but I cant take anything seriously from some one who says they don't like eating fish and who goes seafishing. Just what is the point?? I do like fishing for a bit of sport, ( and return plenty of fish ) but the main objective why I took up sea fishing, is to have the pleasure of eating fish that I catch. All the cost of getting good tackle, good bait, petrol money, time, out in all weathers etc then just to drag fish out on heavy tackle just to then throw them all back??
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

Number of posts : 6951
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13895

PostSubject: Re: Huss fishing.............whats the appeal??   Huss fishing.............whats the appeal?? EmptySun Jun 11, 2017 10:12 pm

The sport is different to each person and your entitled to your opinion but please don't speak of what you don't know, Simon makes​ a living from sea fishing and has forgotten more than most will ever know Exclamation
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Huss fishing.............whats the appeal??   Huss fishing.............whats the appeal?? EmptySun Jun 11, 2017 10:18 pm

joker44 wrote:
Oh dear
It may be a case that sea fishing is not for you.....
If your asking any questions then please do but dont moan at the same time
Maybe if you could do a report on your next session about where when state of tide bait and rigs what fish or even if its a blank

I think sea angling is defo for me, just that I am a sport angler who likes to catch fish worth catching.................things like mullet, bass, smoothhounds and............even the humble mackeral to be fair to them. If it doesnt fight well ( or eat well ) I don't see the point at all

If you dont like me 'moaning' dont read my posts. Simple.
Back to top Go down
stevo
Swordfish Hunter
stevo

Number of posts : 3613
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 9929

PostSubject: Re: Huss fishing.............whats the appeal??   Huss fishing.............whats the appeal?? EmptySun Jun 11, 2017 10:21 pm

Then you'll moan about no one replying to them!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Huss fishing.............whats the appeal??   Huss fishing.............whats the appeal?? EmptySun Jun 11, 2017 10:24 pm

Are you an idiot ???
Why ask a question get answers from ppl who have been in the sport all there life and not like what is said
I have flyfished for over 40 years and in that time the fly rods have got slimmer lighter and better so your rod remark "BROOMSTICK"  is totally stupid
If you dont want to learn then feel free to leave this site i am sure we would not miss you
You moan too much
Quick question for YOU  are you an ANTI ANGLING FANATIC
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Huss fishing.............whats the appeal??   Huss fishing.............whats the appeal?? EmptySun Jun 11, 2017 10:27 pm

I'm a fly angler myself but don't get the time I'd like to enjoying it. My proffesion is a charter skipper and personally i use very light tackle, some of which makes carp gear look heavy. In my job you come across every angler. Those who fish for the table, those for sport and everywhere in between and I cater for all of them. It is each to their own with what they do with the fish and most of mine go back but anyone who wants to take fish they catch on my boat, providing its legal, i don't stop. As for not taking me seriously, thats your choice but i still say that they might not be the best fighting fish you'll ever come across but with the right gear, go catch a huss and eat it. You might just be surprised
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

Number of posts : 6951
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13895

PostSubject: Re: Huss fishing.............whats the appeal??   Huss fishing.............whats the appeal?? EmptySun Jun 11, 2017 10:28 pm

joker44 wrote:

Quick question for YOU  are you an ANTI ANGLING FANATIC
I am but that's another story lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Huss fishing.............whats the appeal??   Huss fishing.............whats the appeal?? EmptySun Jun 11, 2017 10:34 pm

Well put si
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6106
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13657

PostSubject: Re: Huss fishing.............whats the appeal??   Huss fishing.............whats the appeal?? EmptySun Jun 11, 2017 10:58 pm

The moderators of this forum have no option but to read all posts, we give up our time happily and generally the site runs very well, on rare occasions action is called for to keep it that way.

Colwader has been banned.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Huss fishing.............whats the appeal??   Huss fishing.............whats the appeal?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Huss fishing.............whats the appeal??
Page 1 of 1