5 posters
AuthorMessage
Rhod Lloyd
Fishing Addict
Rhod Lloyd

Number of posts : 617
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6486

A tale of three eels Empty
PostSubject: A tale of three eels   A tale of three eels EmptyMon Jan 30, 2017 6:48 am

Look at that 4 Es in a row.
Behind our garage we have a small pond, and in the 25 years we have lived here it has allways had at least one eel, usually more. Last year I thought we only had one, and I trained it to come for food by 5 taps on the dam wall, it would take fish bits from my hand and was not upset if I held it gently under the water. Towards the end of summer it dissapeared, but was found dead 10m from the dam in the neighbours field somewhat dried out, but still 750mm long and very fat. A mystery.
Our neighbours son put two 300mm eels in the pond 6 months ago, but one died late last year.
We have had a very dry summer so far, and the pond had shrunk to a bit of water and a lot of mud, so I siphoned off the water into the neighbours new pond, and started digging out the mud from a hard clay base. I last did this about 10 years ago, and found 5 small eels then.
I soon found two 80mm eels and a hole in the mud where the survivor of the 2 we put in was.
About a hundred barrows of mud later over 5 days, job done, now all I need is some water, though I put the 2 captives back in a puddle of water from some rain we had.

A tale of three eels Dsc00053

A tale of three eels Dsc00052

A tale of three eels Dsc00054

The  eels are NZ short fin eels, as distinct from the long fin eels usually found in clear mountain rivers, both species travel to the Tonga trench to breed, the short fin at 20 t0 40 years old and the longfin up to 100 years old.
The 2 small eels must have travelled up an overgrown ditch that only has water for 6 months a year, then over the dam as the overflow is a hanging pipe.
Both species are commercially fished, but not as much now as when we arrived here 45 years ago, when you know their life history, it is a wonder they survive at all.
The mud will be used to replenish gardens over the years.
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

Number of posts : 1717
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 4987

PostSubject: Re: A tale of three eels   A tale of three eels EmptyMon Jan 30, 2017 3:18 pm

Lot of hard work there Rhod,have you thought of digging a deep hole in the middle?
It would probably catch more water from the surrounding land,plus,if it dries out it would leave a haven in the hole for the eels.A few land drains going into it would keep the water in it longer,no need for them to be deep.
I watched a program on eels in NZ,they were grabbing sheep and burrowing into them via
their back passage,gruesome sight.
The guy went in with a wetsuit on (with a chainmail crotch)they were biting lumps out of his wetsuit and spinning lumps off.
He got out pretty quick.
Back to top Go down
headwyn
Sunnyrhyl Addict
Sunnyrhyl Addict
headwyn

Number of posts : 2016
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 8075

PostSubject: Re: A tale of three eels   A tale of three eels EmptyMon Jan 30, 2017 3:58 pm

Reely good stuff Rhod!
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6108
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13669

PostSubject: Re: A tale of three eels   A tale of three eels EmptyMon Jan 30, 2017 9:46 pm

Eeee Lad that looks a lot of work with a wheel barrow!
Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Marlin Hunter
Kirky's Dad

Number of posts : 2866
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7870

PostSubject: Re: A tale of three eels   A tale of three eels EmptyTue Jan 31, 2017 2:12 pm

Notbad wrote:
Eeee Lad that looks a lot of work with a wheel barrow!
lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A tale of three eels   A tale of three eels Empty

Back to top Go down

A tale of three eels
Page 1 of 1