AuthorMessage
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6108
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13668

Canal Knowledge Empty
PostSubject: Canal Knowledge   Canal Knowledge EmptyWed Dec 14, 2016 2:52 pm

I'm nearly a month behind with this, I've about lost patience with Photobucket and the direct method doesn't seem to like those of us who use IPads ( if anyone has cracked this method for IPad please let us know !) I'm trying out a different hosting site.

Anyway last month we grabbed a Groupon deal for 3 nights hire of a 45 foot 2 berth narrowboat from Preston Brook on the Bridgewater Canal.

Canal Knowledge Imagefree photo hosting

If you head South you're into a long tunnel straightway and plenty of locks to handle, so we were happy to head North where the canal follows the contours - making for a lock free relaxing journey that can potentially take you all the way to Manchester.

Canal Knowledge Imageadult picture hosting

Max speed is about 4mph if you are pushing a wake that washes the bank and overtaking walkers you are going too fast.

Canal Knowledge Imagetemporary image hosting

Canal Knowledge Imagegif uploader

We'd never used a narrowboat before but we've plenty of boat knowledge.

If you fancy trying it but don't know your way around a boat the hot tips are;

Don't get flustered over where the front of the boat is going, instead push the tiller to the side where you want the back of the boat to go, choosing a no lock route that follows the contours can make for a lot of bends, sometimes double bends with a bridge in the middle and you won't get it right every time but at 4mph there is time to sort it out.

Canal Knowledge Imageimage hosting free

Steering responds quicker the faster you are moving.

You can't move in the dark so have a map and plan where you'll be mooring for the night, mostly common sense, you hammer mooring pins into the canal side of the towpath and tie up to these

( don't use private moorings without permission)
Canal Knowledge Imageimage uploading site

Be aware that a boat moving passed too fast can lift your boat in the water and yank out the mooring pin so tie your mooring rope through the eye of the pin or it will be lost at the bottom of the canal.

Many others use the towpath, your rope must not stretch across the path and a bright carrier bag or similar secured over the pin is a good safety tip.

Canal Knowledge Imageimage hosting

There wasn't much maintenance to do on our short hire but on our Isuzu diesel engined boat you did have to lift the duck boards and check the engine coolant and oil, the bilge water and turn a plunger to grease the prop shaft every morning.

When it comes to mooring and casting off it takes a little teamwork but you soon get the routine

Being Autumn the water was full of leaves, these build up on the prop and slow your progress, you sense it happening so once in a while give the throttle three blips in reverse to clear them before it gets to the point where you have to perform surgery!

Canal Knowledge Imagepost img

Rule of the road is pass left side to left side.

Canal Knowledge Imageimage free hosting

We followed the canal as far as Thelwall and The M6  (a little research beforehand will give you the heads up on where you can turn your boat around if that is what your route requires)

Now for the fishing bit,

I'd hoped to do a bit of Pike fishing, it was a very cold weekend and we did see the odd Pike plugger and pole fisherman - it can be a slightly uneasy relationship between boats and anglers but from brief chats as we tried not to hassle them there were a few fish about.

Canal Knowledge Imageimage hosting over 10mb

Fishing on this route is from the towpath side only, obviously you need an Environment Agency Licence

Canal Knowledge Imagephoto upload

But you will also need to contact these
Canal Knowledge Imageupload jpg

They don't do day tickets unfortunately and I left the whole thing too late to sort out so no fishing for me on this trip. Thoroughly recommend this as a relaxing break though, and I'm inspired to try my own boat in freshwater

Canal Knowledge Imageimg host

Canal Knowledge Image

Last edited by Notbad on Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Marlin Hunter
Kirky's Dad

Number of posts : 2866
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7869

Canal Knowledge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canal Knowledge   Canal Knowledge EmptyWed Dec 14, 2016 5:15 pm

I enjoyed that report Paul I have always wanted to try a trip on a narrow boat and never done it. Shame you didn't wet a line. santa rendeer
Back to top Go down

Canal Knowledge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canal Knowledge   Canal Knowledge EmptyWed Dec 14, 2016 5:20 pm

Great tips great pics cheers cheers
Shame you did not get to fish
At this time of the year canals tend to be very clear making fishing harder.
Rule of thumb is to bait 3 swims near bank middle and far ban
Always look for overhanging trees bridges and moored boats they all hold fish
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

Number of posts : 6951
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13904

Canal Knowledge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canal Knowledge   Canal Knowledge EmptyWed Dec 14, 2016 9:43 pm

joker44 wrote:

Good job you mentioned that Joe as I would have looked in the water and ended up blanking again confused
lol!

Looks like a great trip Paul boat cheers
Back to top Go down
headwyn
Sunnyrhyl Addict
Sunnyrhyl Addict
headwyn

Number of posts : 2016
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 8074

Canal Knowledge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canal Knowledge   Canal Knowledge EmptyWed Dec 14, 2016 10:25 pm

Great read Paul boat boat boat
Back to top Go down
stevo
Swordfish Hunter
stevo

Number of posts : 3613
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 9938

Canal Knowledge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canal Knowledge   Canal Knowledge EmptyWed Dec 14, 2016 10:36 pm

Super report paul you both looked like you enjoyed it cheers
Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Marlin Hunter
Kirky's Dad

Number of posts : 2866
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7869

Canal Knowledge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canal Knowledge   Canal Knowledge EmptyWed Dec 14, 2016 10:39 pm

Logger wrote:
joker44 wrote:

Good job you mentioned that Joe as I would have looked in the water and ended up blanking again confused
lol!

Looks like a great trip Paul boat  cheers

lol! lol! rolling laugh rolling laugh
Back to top Go down

Canal Knowledge Empty
PostSubject: canol fishing   Canal Knowledge EmptyFri Dec 16, 2016 9:14 pm

buy a wanderer's licence and most of the canal water is free
link==https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/fishing/waterway-wanderers-scheme/top-places-to-fish-for-20
type in top search bar and press enter
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

Number of posts : 6951
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13904

Canal Knowledge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canal Knowledge   Canal Knowledge EmptySat Dec 17, 2016 1:38 am

shootingdave1 wrote:
buy a wanderer's licence and most of the canal water is free
link==https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/fishing/waterway-wanderers-scheme/top-places-to-fish-for-20
type in top search bar and press enter
Nice one thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Canal Knowledge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canal Knowledge   Canal Knowledge Empty

Back to top Go down

Canal Knowledge
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
sunnyrhyl.forumotion.com :: Fresh Water Fishing :: Fresh Water Fishing Reports and Chat-
Jump to: