4 posters
AuthorMessage
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6108
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13669

The Only Way Is Esox Empty
PostSubject: The Only Way Is Esox   The Only Way Is Esox EmptyFri Mar 13, 2015 11:41 pm

The Only Way Is Esox

The penultimate day before the closed season in unenclosed waters and Pike were in prospect

The Only Way Is Esox C91ae7aedec5cd4f5e63c1c01ed2527f_zps67beac83

Last time  I lure fished the fens with my brother he won out; this time I was taking no chances and I looked to squeeze every 1% advantage I could and took a longer tippier spinning rod and a multi jointed "Savage Gear" plug same as the one Pete had used to good effect last time ( bottom one in this pic)
The Only Way Is Esox 58192fec8c48b1fb888ea737e4ddf25f_zps6bc1bfda

Leaving nothing to chance I pulled on my new Jack Pyke jacket in Wild Trees pattern just right for hiding in the Fenland reeds - as it turned out today was much warmer than yesterday, the wind had gone and the jacket was too warm but siddle it I've bought it and I'm going to bloody well wear it!

5 casts in and it was fish on!
And there we have it,
Esox Lucius

The Only Way Is Esox 15771a3a1ecadd75f0138bbfd8d5dd33_zps9fa9cb09

Hang on, I'll hold it out towards the camera so it looks bigger...

The Only Way Is Esox 8bdac8fae79bcafbf16f41df52373b32_zps2e468e3a

The Pike however seemed largely absent as we tried several spots around the junction of three counties.

The Only Way Is Esox C8fdb8f06cf7d878213975adf2a7d277_zpsad860b58

The drain bottom was breaking up with clumps of muddy scum rising to the surface and the Pike were probably gathered somewhere else preparing to spawn, the temperature was rising, the water looked lazy and off came the jacket! ( no worries, not taking any chances I'd several layers of camo on!)

The Only Way Is Esox Bbfa559d3868f7e973b039aa6fbc1af2_zps0189e4de

The Only Way Is Esox Bd6c5bec83db7494dc3f0426d04f1261_zps00a8c35f

As the sun climbed it was turning into a full on beautiful day, the Woodpigeon were summer flighting and high above us two fighter jets practised close quarters dog fighting turning back and in on each other in mock combat Top Gun style

The Only Way Is Esox 019d25f75803e42a31405558d2ff347d_zpsa8857678

At the water's edge two brothers were locked in a friendly combat of their own

It was nearly lunchtime as I worked along a dyke, spotting water tumbling out of a drainage pipe in the opposite bank and I reckoned that must be pouring in worms and stuff the small fish might be attracted to and a predator may be around.

Flicked the plug out, whipped the rod tip this way and that and watched the plug surface , roll and dive like a wounded fish, (the life like way this plug swims is a joy to watch, it's like taking a pet fish for a walk)

Then a silver flank caught the sun a foot behind my lure, turned in for the kill and then pulled its punch, turned over then sank back - like the jets practising dog fighting above us.

Then just as I'm thinking that's that, the jack pike stood on its tail and this time closed in for the kill and seized the lure;

The Only Way Is Esox 0e596a81f3493c344c587a6c924e8124_zps8d68e039

The take was visually exciting but not much of a scrap to be honest, a thin fish, with leeches on its flank but I'd beaten Bruv two nil on his home waters, ticked the box, evened the score on the trout from the day before I'm Top Gun for today and now we could leave the fish in peace.

Another great day comes to an end, I'm well jel of Pete's Fenland playground but the fish are just a bonus!

Last edited by Notbad on Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:42 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

Number of posts : 6951
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13905

PostSubject: Re: The Only Way Is Esox   The Only Way Is Esox EmptySat Mar 14, 2015 4:24 am

Well done Paul another great report cheers
It's the camouflage that did it Exclamation
You are our very own sunnyrhyl Rambo Cool cheers
Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Marlin Hunter
Kirky's Dad

Number of posts : 2866
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7870

PostSubject: Re: The Only Way Is Esox   The Only Way Is Esox EmptySat Mar 14, 2015 8:53 am

Well done Paul on a cracking report and pictures. I would say it's definitely the jacket that did the trick. fishing:http://www.for:http://www.for☀fish
Back to top Go down
stevo
Swordfish Hunter
stevo

Number of posts : 3613
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 9939

PostSubject: Re: The Only Way Is Esox   The Only Way Is Esox EmptySat Mar 14, 2015 10:16 am

Another cracking report paul well done chaps Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Only Way Is Esox   The Only Way Is Esox EmptySat Mar 14, 2015 11:02 am

Great report and pics Paul,you can be my wing man anytime lol!
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6108
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13669

PostSubject: Re: The Only Way Is Esox   The Only Way Is Esox EmptySat Mar 14, 2015 12:48 pm

longranger wrote:
Great report and pics Paul,you can be my wing man anytime lol!

The Only Way Is Esox TomCruiseLibramano10013
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Only Way Is Esox   The Only Way Is Esox EmptyMon Mar 16, 2015 6:39 am

Very good report Paul really enjoyed reading that cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Only Way Is Esox   The Only Way Is Esox Empty

Back to top Go down

The Only Way Is Esox
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
sunnyrhyl.forumotion.com :: Fresh Water Fishing :: Fresh Water Fishing Reports and Chat-
Jump to: