AuthorMessage
Rhod Lloyd
Fishing Addict
Rhod Lloyd

Number of posts : 617
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6485

For Squidward Empty
PostSubject: For Squidward   For Squidward EmptyThu Oct 30, 2014 4:31 am

for your interest we have lugworms here, though not the big black lug, also I have seen them all the way up the east coast of Australia and the Tores straights islands off Cape York N E Ausie. I have never seen them dug or used though, mostly fish baits used.
Back to top Go down
squidward
Tope Hunter
squidward

Number of posts : 1096
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7231

For Squidward Empty
PostSubject: Re: For Squidward   For Squidward EmptyThu Oct 30, 2014 3:27 pm

Thanks for that, might be a bit far for a pumping session though, but I seem to remember the Alvey pumps came from Australia in the first place, I wonder what they used them for  Question
Back to top Go down
Rhod Lloyd
Fishing Addict
Rhod Lloyd

Number of posts : 617
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6485

For Squidward Empty
PostSubject: Alvey pumps   For Squidward EmptyFri Oct 31, 2014 4:35 am

They were used to pump yabbies or ghost shrimps, which are small pale pink shrimps which live in sand, both on surf beaches and in sheltered waters. They live in a vertical tunnel in the sand and I think eat plankton filtered from the sea water, as a wave runs back down the beach water can be seen welling from a small hole, as the tide recedes a small volcano of sand forms and footsteps on the sand cause it to pump water out as it dives down its tunnel. When dug out they are very delicate and have trouble moving, but in the sand can turn over in the tunnel and move wet sand by beating fins near their tail. All fish eat them, especially flounder. I do not think they are caught for eating as they are only about 2 inches long, you would need a lot for a sandwich!
Another shrimp which lives the same way is the mantis shrimp, a bit sturdier but similar lifestyle.
Any other travellers seen lug worms around the world? The north of Australia is tropical, and North of the Great Barrier corral Reef is where I saw them.
Fresh water crayfish are also called yabbies, but these are edible. Rhod
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

For Squidward Empty
PostSubject: Re: For Squidward   For Squidward Empty

Back to top Go down

For Squidward
Page 1 of 1