AuthorMessage
Rhod Lloyd
Fishing Addict
Rhod Lloyd

Number of posts : 617
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6483

Danger! Empty
PostSubject: Danger!   Danger! EmptyThu Jun 12, 2014 7:12 am

A couple of events that illustrate how things can go wrong. Despite Muriwai beach being a very popular surfing and swimming beach with large crowds on fine days the local fishing club has retained the right to launch boats from the sand, main access is through a locked gate and only club members can get a key, the south end of the beach is safest, as an offshore island cuts the swell, a bit!
A locals son while dad was away decided to take the 5m alloy boat out with 3 mates on a rough day, over 1m swell on a very flat beach , with no key they accessed the beach through a sand track 1 km north and launched from there, the first wave they hit, probably too fast, stood the boat on its tail, which from experience is probably where the crew ended up, the next wave tipped the boat over injuring 2 of the crew. After a while the surf club launched a rescue IRB and rescued the crew, but could not save the boat, it was last seen heading SW just the tip of the bow out of the water. Have not heard yet what dad had to say!
Part 2 to come
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

Number of posts : 6951
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13902

Danger! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danger!   Danger! EmptyThu Jun 12, 2014 7:36 am

Nasty  Exclamation 
Back to top Go down
Rhod Lloyd
Fishing Addict
Rhod Lloyd

Danger! Empty
PostSubject: Danger /2   Danger! EmptySat Jun 14, 2014 4:04 am

My friend and I were about to launch his 5m alloy boat through the surf last Saturday, the usual procedure is to unhitch the boat, wait for a swell to retreat (usually about 14 seconds between swells) follow it reversing and just as the next wave gets under the boat hit the brakes, and throw the boat off then before the 4by4 gets too wet off to park at the top of the beach while I turn the bow into the waves and use the waves to get it just floating on each wave especially on an outgoing tide.
As I was relocking the gate, we noticed a 4by4 had dropped their 6m boat but got stuck in a hole, luckily another skipper who was about to head out rushed for his vehicle and with a long rope attached to the trailer started pulling. the 2 crew were pushing at the back of the stuck vehicle, and as it suddenly took off one a BIG bloke fell over and was run over by the trailer, he got up ok, and was leaning against the boat while water poured out from the unstuck car. They but went out anyway and when we saw him later appeared all right apart from some scrapes from the springs. When things start going wrong be very careful!
We caught some good snapper, Kahawai and more sharks in 35m of water 3km out.
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6108
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13666

Danger! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danger!   Danger! EmptySat Jun 14, 2014 10:55 pm

Phew!

Loving your tales from the far side Rhod.
Back to top Go down
Rhod Lloyd
Fishing Addict
Rhod Lloyd

Danger! Empty
PostSubject: Danger / 3   Danger! EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:15 am

For those of you interested, one of our fishing TV shows has just aired, launching off the beach, the presenter Nicky is a bit of a blonde, but Jed Radally her guide is a real hunting and fishing man, I was talking to him at our fishing club Thursday night about this trip filmed about 3 weeks ago. The fishing was poor but at least it gives an idea of how we do it better than I can describe it.
Go to "You Tube", search "Ados Addicted to Fishing episode 11"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Danger! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danger!   Danger! Empty

Back to top Go down

Danger!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
sunnyrhyl.forumotion.com :: Sea Fishing :: International Fishing Reports-
Jump to: