4 posters
AuthorMessage
Rhod Lloyd
Fishing Addict
Rhod Lloyd

Number of posts : 617
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6483

Fishing "down under" Empty
PostSubject: Fishing "down under"   Fishing "down under" EmptyMon Apr 28, 2014 6:21 am

First of occasional reports from Rhod, I used to fish at Rhyl  some 45 years ago before you lot stuffed the fishing up!
Friday here was a holiday commemorating those lost in the Gallipoli campaign in the last war.
The fencing supply yard I worked for put on a fishing charter for the staff and friends on the local Kaipara harbour, only an old displacement boat, but good to fish from. We decided not to venture to the "graveyard" near the harbour entrance as some of the crew would not be able to handle the current and the confused 1.5M swell, so we fished in shelter. We moved a couple of times as the current dictated, and a slow but steady stream of fish were caught, many of which would be familiar to you, 75cm tope, spotted dogfish, red gurnard (I think your tub gurnard with blue on the pectoral fins). I cannot remember if you get hammerhead sharks there? , also snapper, kahawai and silver trevally, nothing big, but good fun with good friends. Rhod (cannot seem to add photos)
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

Number of posts : 6951
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13902

PostSubject: Re: Fishing "down under"   Fishing "down under" EmptyMon Apr 28, 2014 4:50 pm

Thanks for the report Rhod sounds like a great place  Cool 
Please keep trying with the photos  Wink 

Hammerhead Sharks.... we get them all the time  affraid Laughing 
Back to top Go down
MusselMan
ADMIN
MusselMan

Number of posts : 1310
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7136

PostSubject: Re: Fishing "down under"   Fishing "down under" EmptyMon Apr 28, 2014 5:02 pm

Welcome to the forum Rhod!

I fished a bit in N.Z. when on my travels a few years ago. I recall having a good scrap with a stingray from the harbour beach at Whitianga (on herring gear  Mad  ). Do you get them over on the west coast?
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6108
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13666

PostSubject: Re: Fishing "down under"   Fishing "down under" EmptyMon Apr 28, 2014 8:14 pm

You got me hooked in the first line!

If you can't crack the photos email them to me and I'll sort them out for you

Thanks for the report Rhod!
Back to top Go down
Rhod Lloyd
Fishing Addict
Rhod Lloyd

Number of posts : 617
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6483

PostSubject: Ah stingrays   Fishing "down under" EmptyWed Apr 30, 2014 6:59 am

Yes, we get them everywhere mostly (brown) eagle rays up to 15 kg and fewer (black) short tailed stingrays up to very big!
Not particularly edible, but some people do, mind you round here some cultures will eat anything from the sea.
The eagle rays are good at burying themselves in the sand, and then take a bit of shifting. that's one reason we use 15 kg line, but they do put up a good scrap, and sometimes jump. Rhod
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fishing "down under"   Fishing "down under" Empty

Back to top Go down

Fishing "down under"
Page 1 of 1