3 posters
AuthorMessage
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

Number of posts : 1705
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 4946

Boating lake at rhyl Harbour Empty
PostSubject: Boating lake at rhyl Harbour   Boating lake at rhyl Harbour EmptyWed Jun 14, 2023 1:03 pm

A few years ago I saw people fishing in the lake but never payed much attention.I did see a few small fry in it.
Is it filled with seawater or fresh?
When I was a kid,I fished the lake at new Brighton with mussels.
And,(giving my age away)watched the bathing beauty contest. lol!
On the English side of the Dee estuary they have catch ponds that fill at high tide,they are teeming with sandeels.
Back to top Go down
MusselMan
ADMIN
MusselMan

Number of posts : 1303
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7107

PostSubject: Re: Boating lake at rhyl Harbour   Boating lake at rhyl Harbour EmptyWed Jun 14, 2023 4:15 pm

So far as I am aware it is filled from the estuary. Can't find any report from there but I do recall it was fished by someone from the forum some years ago, but that might have been as a bit of a joke. Crabs can be caught. Notbad should know more.

Funny you mention New Brighton lake as I was there early this morning. Cycling, before it got too hot. I am on a concerted fitness campaign for June as I need to lose some weight.

Surprised to see just how many rods were out early on a Tuesday as I went down the Mersey to Seacombe. Must have been 15-20.
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

PostSubject: Re: Boating lake at rhyl Harbour   Boating lake at rhyl Harbour EmptyWed Jun 14, 2023 6:14 pm

MusselMan wrote:
So far as I am aware it is filled from the estuary. Can't find any report from there but I do recall it was fished by someone from the forum some years ago, but that might have been as a bit of a joke. Crabs can be caught. Notbad should know more.

Funny you mention New Brighton lake as I was there early this morning. Cycling, before it got too hot. I am on a concerted fitness campaign for June as I need to lose some weight.

Surprised to see just how many rods were out early on a Tuesday as I went down the Mersey to Seacombe. Must have been 15-20.

I don't have any problems with my weight,but did try the 'Atkins diet' a few years ago.I still have the book.It definately worked even though I didn't stick to it completely.I tailored it from the advice it gave by looking between the lines and customising it to suit.Basically,it cuts out carbs completely and says to eat meats even with the fat on.I simply cut out potatoes and supplimented them with plenty of veg.(And more meat)
Apparently carbs go to storage and add weight,but meats go straight thro'your system.I saw the results inside a week.
The hard bit is no cakies,pies and crisps lol!
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6098
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13630

PostSubject: Re: Boating lake at rhyl Harbour   Boating lake at rhyl Harbour EmptyThu Jun 15, 2023 7:58 am

Crabs not carbs!

( Marine Lake is salty ) there is a clue in the name!

The sluice is under the road by the Blue Bridge at a height that allows the tide to fill and empty as required, although I believe the lake is also part of Rhyl's flood planning ( not sure but there might be a storage tank beneath the lake).

It's shallow, there is a fee for using a boat on it, enquiries to the Harbour Master I believe.

Many do play with crab lines here, the only person I've known try fishing it is Fairziff who reported a whiting - but I don't know if that was one of his jokes either !

I don't think I could put up with the wisecracks for long enough to try fishing it!

I've tried posting a link to a Gov. Report on monitoring bathing quality water at Marine Lake but can't get it to link to the article.

Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

PostSubject: Re: Boating lake at rhyl Harbour   Boating lake at rhyl Harbour EmptyThu Jun 15, 2023 11:23 am

Thanks for the info,(I wondered why I had never seen marines training on the lake) lol!
I think a lot of visitors don't realise it's there,especially since they moved the funfare down near the caravan camps.
Wasn't there a minature railway running around it?
Seems like the planning dept is wasting an asset.
I've been visiting Rhyl since I was knee high to a grasshopper,(Golden sands)and my attraction has always been the sea,or water.
If I use the coast rd to get to the harbour I rarely stop in the town because of the ridiculous parking.
We used to park near the toilets near the blue bridge every time on a day out.
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6098
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13630

PostSubject: Re: Boating lake at rhyl Harbour   Boating lake at rhyl Harbour EmptyThu Jun 15, 2023 7:22 pm

VALVEBOUNCE wrote:
Thanks for the info,(I wondered why I had never seen marines training on the lake) lol!
I think a lot of visitors don't realise it's there,especially since they moved the funfare down near the caravan camps.
Wasn't there a minature railway running around it?

The Sea Cadets use it, and the miniature railway is still going.

PostSubject: Re: Boating lake at rhyl Harbour   Boating lake at rhyl Harbour Empty

Back to top Go down

Boating lake at rhyl Harbour
Page 1 of 1