Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rhod Lloyd
Fishing Addict
Rhod Lloyd

Number of posts : 617
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6464

Thurs 27 continued Empty
PostSubject: Thurs 27 continued   Thurs 27 continued EmptyTue May 02, 2023 3:28 am

Sorry, I had hoped to finish it yesterday but I was tied up with so many photos.

Muriwai is still closed to non residents, for those interested,  https://www.aucklandemergencymanagement.org.nz/media/4zjewoq5/27042023_12_muriwai-newsletter.pdf
This is the weekly newsletter to residents, there are still over 100 houses deemed to damaged or dangerous to live in, bear in mind that there was a slip in the 1960's that also killed 2 people. Most of the dwellings then were holiday homes simple structures that were only used occasionally. since then, many of these batches (from bachelor accommodation) were rebuilt even on the slip debris, and have over the years morphed in to permanent houses.

Back to fishing.

Thurs 27 continued Img_6723

This was one of 11 Kahawai I caught, plus I missed a few bites, all around the same size, quite fat for this time of year. I kept 6 for the smokehouse and released 5 that were easily unhooked

Thurs 27 continued Img_6722

Pied oystercatchers

Thurs 27 continued Img_6726

Pied oystercatchers, in the middle of the flock an adult Black backed gull and on the log a juvenile inspecting my sack of fish, and a red billed gull

Thurs 27 continued Img_6614

White fronted terns, and red billed gulls

Thurs 27 continued Img_6721

2 Royal Spoonbills, and pied sh-gs also far right a kingfisher

Thurs 27 continued Img_6725

Where I fish from as the tide rises, you can see that the recent high tides have eaten the slip away, so nowhere to go at high, also the cliff looks a bit unstable.
The slip material is very soft sandstone that varies from near white , pink and mainly orange. You can crumble it by hand, and it is very unstable to stand on.
To the right is a ledge with a coating of green algae which looks slippery but is not as it is the same material. That ledge gets covered on a 3m tide, and we get up to 3.6m tides.

Birds seen but not pictured. White faced herons, A dark brown variant Arctic Skua chasing a White Fronted Tern, amazing acrobatics right in front of me, when the tern dropped it's fish, a following gull got there before the Skua. 2 Welcome Swallows, and heard but not seen a Tui. For those overseas, the Tui has an amazing vocal range as it has two voice boxes, and under the louder squawks is a quiet background of chatter, look them up.

Why did I not find this spot when the subdivision started 10 or more years ago?!?!

That should be enough homework for now.
Back to top Go down

Thurs 27 continued
Page 1 of 1