4 posters
AuthorMessage
MusselMan
ADMIN
MusselMan

Number of posts : 1303
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7107

Political article on the state of the Welsh fishing industry Empty
PostSubject: Political article on the state of the Welsh fishing industry   Political article on the state of the Welsh fishing industry EmptyFri Jan 20, 2023 7:15 pm

Plaid Cymru politician ...

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/news-opinion/wales-iconic-fishing-industry-terminal-26007372
Back to top Go down
congerman1962
Tope Hunter

Number of posts : 1317
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6675

PostSubject: Re: Political article on the state of the Welsh fishing industry   Political article on the state of the Welsh fishing industry EmptySat Jan 21, 2023 10:57 pm

interesting article thanks for taking the time to share it
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

Number of posts : 1705
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 4946

PostSubject: Re: Political article on the state of the Welsh fishing industry   Political article on the state of the Welsh fishing industry EmptySun Jan 22, 2023 12:37 pm

Thanks for the info MM.
I can't help linking the situation up with the number of shop and small firm closures.
Through greed an mismanagement in the last 12 years,fish has not been of a reasonable price to the local public.
Reading between the lines in the article,we still have the fish etc,yet it's not possible to catch and sell it locally,and we have the insult of actually importing fish etc.
This is glaring mismanagement.
As a kid we had fish shops on the high streets,and fish was on everyone's weekly diet.
Maybe instead of trying to beat the export market,we should totally ignore it,and set up a sitution where fish is sold locally.The overheads of exporting must be massive,so why export?
I'm positive that the public would love to be able to afford to eat fish again.
As a kid I used to go in the local fishmongers doing errands,and buy Five Cod steaks (not fillets) one for each member of the family.I can't imagine what the cost would be these days.In fact,when was the last time you saw a cod steak in a local supermarket?
The present laws are for greed and profits,and certainly not for the benefit of the general public.
Roll on the next generl election.
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

PostSubject: Re: Political article on the state of the Welsh fishing industry   Political article on the state of the Welsh fishing industry EmptySun Jan 22, 2023 12:55 pm

We have on our Welsh hills,thousands of sheep,yet when was the last time leg of lamb was your affordable choice for sunday dinner?
We had lamb chops maybe twice a week,at a possible £2 a chop,who can afford £20 a week these days?(Family of five)
The whole country has been manouvered into having less proteins and vitamins purely for profits,at the present rate of decline we will become a sickly nation.
Personally,I can't bring myself to pay the ridiculously high prices for meat.
The next government will have a steep hill to climb reversing the damage that has been done.
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6098
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13630

PostSubject: Re: Political article on the state of the Welsh fishing industry   Political article on the state of the Welsh fishing industry EmptySun Jan 22, 2023 3:53 pm

Food for thought ( no pun intended) indeed.
I do hate it when the term "Sea" Bass is used though.

Proper cooking seems to becoming a disappearing skill overtaken by delivered meals, maybe this is something that needs addressing to encourage a wider diet.

ADMIN
MusselMan

Number of posts : 1303
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7107

PostSubject: Re: Political article on the state of the Welsh fishing industry   Political article on the state of the Welsh fishing industry EmptySun Jan 22, 2023 5:15 pm

Notbad wrote:

Proper cooking seems to becoming a disappearing skill overtaken by delivered meals, maybe this is something that needs addressing to encourage a wider diet.

I love the Welsh term for bass - draenog y môr - hedgehog of the sea.

Perhaps the future of the local fishmonger is to deliver with a full set of ingredients for a meal along with a "how to" card?
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

PostSubject: Re: Political article on the state of the Welsh fishing industry   Political article on the state of the Welsh fishing industry EmptyMon Jan 23, 2023 12:36 am

Notbad wrote:

I think the position that people are in financially prevents them from making what we would call normal meals.
People find it cheaper and easier to order in.No cooking expense,no shopping expense etc.
personally,I like to see what I have cooked,with the knowledge that it has no been dropped and kicked around the floor. lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Political article on the state of the Welsh fishing industry   Political article on the state of the Welsh fishing industry Empty

Back to top Go down

Political article on the state of the Welsh fishing industry
Page 1 of 1