4 posters
AuthorMessage
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6105
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13653

Strawberry Way Forever Empty
PostSubject: Strawberry Way Forever    Strawberry Way Forever EmptyFri Nov 11, 2022 9:23 am

We went back to Cheshire Oaks Fisheries yesterday at Strawberry Way, Backford, Chester.
 Strawberry Way Forever Img-2209

Since last week the central island has been strimmed and overhanging line catching briars pruned back to there is nothing to get hung up about.

Started with double pink maggot and an open ended feeder as this worked well enough for me last week and caught on the first cast.

Strawberry Way Forever Img-2208

Strawberry Way Forever Img-2210

Strawberry Way Forever Img-2211

Strawberry Way Forever Img-2212

Last edited by Notbad on Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

PostSubject: Re: Strawberry Way Forever    Strawberry Way Forever EmptyFri Nov 11, 2022 9:42 am

After a few fish I decided to try "The Method" which is something I've not used before, 4" hook link with the bait inside the method feeder offering, I tried alternative baits, sweetcorn, pellet and maggot and tried both hair rigs and directly on the hook.

Strawberry Way Forever Img-2214

This way of feeder fishing is not something I am confident in and after an hour without a bite I switched back to the open ended feeder and a 12 inch hook length and was back into the fish.

ADMIN
Notbad

PostSubject: Re: Strawberry Way Forever    Strawberry Way Forever EmptyFri Nov 11, 2022 9:50 am

A fellah mid way along the bank was steadily catching carp on the pole, I can see the logic of the pole but I do like a rod and reel.

Strawberry Way Forever Img-2215

Strawberry Way Forever Img-2216

Strawberry Way Forever Img-2217

Strawberry Way Forever Img-2224

Last edited by Notbad on Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

PostSubject: Re: Strawberry Way Forever    Strawberry Way Forever EmptyFri Nov 11, 2022 9:55 am

Strawberry Way Forever Img-2220

Strawberry Way Forever Img-2221

Strawberry Way Forever Img-2222

Strawberry Way Forever Img-2223

ADMIN
Notbad

PostSubject: Re: Strawberry Way Forever    Strawberry Way Forever EmptyFri Nov 11, 2022 10:07 am

Strawberry Way Forever Img-2225

Tina had gone to fetch us more coffee from the vending machine when the gentlest bite of the day announced the biggest and hardest fighting fish, with the fish in the net but my photographer still on the coffee run I reached for my phone and a leg of my seatbox collapsed and I was in a crumpled heap! So my photo didn't really do the fish justice but I didn't want to delay getting it back in.
 Strawberry Way Forever Img-2226

Strawberry Way Forever Img-2227

I'll need to do a bit of maintenance on the seatbox, though I am looking at a Daiwa seatbox with a back support and also wondering about a feeder chair instead for venues like this, if anyone has experiences of feeder chair V. box I'd be interested to hear them.

Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

Number of posts : 1713
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 4968

PostSubject: Re: Strawberry Way Forever    Strawberry Way Forever EmptyFri Nov 11, 2022 12:01 pm

You had a good day anyway Paul,(and at least you didn't end up in the drink when your box collapsed)lol!
Like you,I prefer a rod to a pole,although I do have a 16ft whip.
There's less messing about with a whip,and I use it at the same time as the rod for the margins.
At the moment it's elasticated,but the trend seems to be to use them without the elastic.
Since having a whicker basket,I have always used a sturdy camping chair and a toolbox.
Fishing canals with a pole is tricky,with the pole stretching back behind you there is always the chance of a mountain biker running over it,or dogs running into it.
I can use a normal rodrest for the whip,and collapse it as I bring the fish in.
The 16ft whip is a bit long,so I might invest in a shorter one.
In my method feeder I use micro pellets and crunchy nut cornflakes ground up in a coffee grinder.I'm giving tiger nuts try,but they need to be prepared or the fish have digestion problems.(That's why some fisheries have banned them.)A tin of chick peas is handy,and can be flavoured on the bank.
Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Marlin Hunter
Kirky's Dad

Number of posts : 2864
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7855

PostSubject: Re: Strawberry Way Forever    Strawberry Way Forever EmptySat Nov 12, 2022 9:05 am

Very good report Paul and some great pictures falling off seats is an age thing or to much to drink.🥃
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

PostSubject: Re: Strawberry Way Forever    Strawberry Way Forever EmptySat Nov 12, 2022 7:25 pm

Kirky's Dad wrote:
Very good report Paul and some great pictures falling off seats is an age thing or to much to drink.🥃

rolling laugh that explains that then!

Fishing Addict
Rhod Lloyd

Number of posts : 617
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6473

PostSubject: Re: Strawberry Way Forever    Strawberry Way Forever EmptyMon Nov 14, 2022 4:43 am

Great report Paul, you're doing well. I envy you the coffee runner!
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

PostSubject: Re: Strawberry Way Forever    Strawberry Way Forever EmptySun Nov 20, 2022 11:15 am

When I was a kid,bread paste and aniseed was a popular bait.
I got some aniseed powder to give it try.
They reckon it's got the most attractant qualities of all the bait flavours.
It came in a small polythene bag,I opened it for a sniff and reclosed the bag.The smell stayed in the kitchen for a couple of days.
Small boiled new potatoes were popular a well,also balls of mincemeat.
A lot of the old baits seem to have been forgotten,but they did work.
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

PostSubject: Re: Strawberry Way Forever    Strawberry Way Forever EmptySun Nov 20, 2022 7:02 pm

Not heard of aniseed attracting them but I'm staggered by the range of flavours on the market compared to when I was a lad when was it was worms, maggots, casters, bread in various forms, swan mussels in some parts, slugs ( yuk)
luncheon meat, boiled potatoes for bigger carp, hemp, tares,
stewed wheat and probably some stuff I've forgotten.

I've been watching YouTube as you suggested, correct me if I'm wrong but two 30 year olds referred to fish making  bow ( as in rhyming with roe) waves - shouldn't it be bow ( rhyming with cow) waves? I blame the use of "polyphonics" in teaching kids to read!

Oh and something else, when did dead maggots become a thing - not casters, but dead maggots?

Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

PostSubject: Re: Strawberry Way Forever    Strawberry Way Forever EmptyMon Nov 21, 2022 1:55 am

Over the years,the English Language has had a battering.What people fail to realise is changing words to be modern,is taking the meaning out of the English language.The English language is subtle with depth of meaning.

They use dead maggots because they don't wriggle into the silt or bed.
A handful of live maggots soon disappear into the silt/bed.
It's also handy to save them by freezing what you have left.(just a quick freeze to kill them.)
Casters sink,and don't wriggle,dead maggots do the same.
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

PostSubject: Re: Strawberry Way Forever    Strawberry Way Forever EmptyMon Nov 21, 2022 2:47 pm

VALVEBOUNCE wrote:

They use dead maggots because they don't wriggle into the silt or bed.
A handful of live maggots soon disappear into the silt/bed.
It's also handy to save them by freezing what you have left.(just a quick freeze to kill them.)
Casters sink,and don't wriggle,dead maggots do the same.

Ah right, thanks for the explanation study

PostSubject: Re: Strawberry Way Forever    Strawberry Way Forever Empty

Back to top Go down

Strawberry Way Forever
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
sunnyrhyl.forumotion.com :: Fresh Water Fishing :: Fresh Water Fishing Reports and Chat-
Jump to: